Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Super Sensitive Celiacs & Gluten Sensitive
17 17

Non-scientific discussions for those who have been gluten free for at least 6-12 months and suspect they are reacting to lower levels of gluten than the vast majority of celiacs.

360 topics in this forum

• 23 replies

1. Ads by Google:
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 15 replies
    • 3 replies

• 3 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 33 replies
    • 40 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 34 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 23 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 16 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 12 replies
17 17
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Anxiously waiting
      You might ask your doctor if they have a standby/wait list Kal.  Some do that and then they can fit in people if there are cancellations or no-shows.
    • Question on posting
      So we have a rule here against self promotion, however please send me the link and I will have a look at it.
    • Gluten Free Chicken? No Such Thing
      There are no warnings, in the US,  from Celiac center's or various Celiac Societies that a Celiac cannot eat plain meat.  If you are worried about what might be added to your meat, buy high quality meat that is cut or ground at the grocer.  Look at the sodium contents on pre-packed meat.  You will see that salt water is sometimes added - the sodium amount will be much higher per serving than plain meat.  
      If you are going to copy someone else's article, please link to the source.  If you want us to believe it is true and from a reliable source, linking would help with that.    
      Yes, chicken you buy in the store can contain gluten.  Chicken meat will not contain gluten before packaging, but look at the excerpt below from an article entitled: What's really in supermarket poultry (abbreviated title) The article specifically mentions wheat  (it's toward the end of the passage) as a potential ingredient in the solution injected into the chicken meat.  They inject a lot of this solution into the meat, as much as 30% of the chicken weight you pay for can be the injected solution.  If packaged chicken is gluten free it will say so below the box on the plastic wrap that has the nutritional information (calories etc). Here's the passage: His next task is to bulk out the trim by getting it to absorb water and additives. For this to happen, the manufacturer has to create a ‘brine’, a chemical solution that will encourage the meat to retain liquid using binding agents. These binding agents are usually from five main sources, which can be used separately or mixed together. The first is transglutaminase, an enzyme that is essentially a natural glue. Indeed, it is sometimes called ‘meat glue’. The second is from a group collectively known as hydrocolloids, substances that form a gel on contact with water. These hydrocolloids include carrageenan, which is derived from seaweed, as well as the exotically named locust bean gum — extracted from the seeds of the carob tree — and guar gum, which derives from ground guar beans. The third widely-used agent, especially in seafood, is phosphate, which is taken from phosphoric acid and is valued for its ability to make oil adhere to water. The fourth is fibre, made from a source such as wheat, citrus or cellulose. And the fifth is protein powder, which is made by extracting collagen from pigs’ skins.
  • Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kyle1960