This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Safe Lunch Meat?

prana

prana Rookie

Hello,

We'd like to make a deli platter for the holidays but I'm having trouble pinning down a brand of lunch meat that is gluten free. We'd like ham, turkey and possibly chicken but I find that when I try them randomly (from the deli case at my local Albertson's) that half the time I get sick. Does anyone know which brands of lunch meat are gluten free? I live in a very small town without access to any kind of health food store and it's a little late to order something online so it has to be something we can get from the regular grocery store. I really appreciate the help. Happy Holiday's all. Good luck and blessings, Prana

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eeyor-fan Contributor
Hello,

We'd like to make a deli platter for the holidays but I'm having trouble pinning down a brand of lunch meat that is gluten free. We'd like ham, turkey and possibly chicken but I find that when I try them randomly (from the deli case at my local Albertson's) that half the time I get sick. Does anyone know which brands of lunch meat are gluten free? I live in a very small town without access to any kind of health food store and it's a little late to order something online so it has to be something we can get from the regular grocery store. I really appreciate the help. Happy Holiday's all. Good luck and blessings, Prana

All Boars head is gluten-free (Checked with them in November and as of Nov. 20th their entire line went gluten-free)...also Black Bear Virginia Ham, Turkey, Smoked Ham and Bologna is gluten-free (Just make sure you get the pre packaged meat from the manufacturer because the deli slicer will contaminate the meat)....my deli guy won't even use a clean slicer because there is still too much risk of possable contamination for me)

Hugs

Bridget

VydorScope Proficient

Theres way to much risk of CC in a deli, unless they are CC awere/senstive. I just stick with Oscar Myer. All thier products will be clearly noted in thier ingredinets if there is any gluten in them.

hez Enthusiast

I also stopped going to the deli because of cross contamination. I use Oscar Meyer, Hillshire Farm and Kroger brands. I make sure to always read the label (it always grosses me out)!

Hez

tarnalberry Community Regular

Diestel and Applegate farms have prepacked deli meats that are safe.

Guest Mari

Call me kookie, but I didn't know there were deli meats that had gluten in them. I always get my deli from the counter at my market (Whole Foods). I am asymtptomatic, so I don't know if I am ingesting gluten. Are you all telling me that I should only by prepackaged deli meat?

eeyor-fan Contributor
Theres way to much risk of CC in a deli, unless they are CC awere/senstive. I just stick with Oscar Myer. All thier products will be clearly noted in thier ingredinets if there is any gluten in them.

Black Bear there was no risk...Deli Manager at Shopr rite got the pre sliced/ Pre Packaged ones from Black Bear...guarenteed gluten-free. My deli guy won't even use his slicer (no matter how clean) because he doesn't want the chance of making me sick. As long as it is sliced and packaged from manufacturer and guarenteed by them gluten-free...ther is no risk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Merika Contributor
Call me kookie, but I didn't know there were deli meats that had gluten in them. I always get my deli from the counter at my market (Whole Foods). I am asymtptomatic, so I don't know if I am ingesting gluten. Are you all telling me that I should only by prepackaged deli meat?

I'm not an expert on this, having just converted from vegetarianism, but my understanding is that in the deli section are glazed hams and other meats with coatings and flavorings, and these can contain gluten. So, one, you'd want to check on the one you're buying, and two, the slicing machine slices all meats and doesn't get cleaned between meats/customers, so you run the risk of contamination.

Now, if you were at an old fashioned butcher, who only sliced 100% pure meats with no added nuthin's, then I would think it'd be safe. ??

Merika

jenvan Collaborator

hillshire farms packaged meats are gluten-free. i use the deli selects--they are gluten-free too. sara lee says all their packaged meats are gluten-free (that includes the hillshire farms etc). see the meats here: Open Original Shared Link

Archived