This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need A Gluten Free, Soy Free, And Dairy Free Cooking Oil!

Guest kim07

Guest kim07

Does anyone know a good gluten, soy, and dairy free cooking oil??????

I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me one, because I need one fast.

Thank you!!!!

Please make sure it is gluten, and soy free! :)

Kim07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Olive? Canola? Peanut? Hazelnut? Coconut? Avocado? Grapeseed? Tea?

I don't know that I understand the question. Any oil that isn't, say, wheat bran oil, or doesn't have anything added to it, like parmesean cheese in a dipping oil, is going to be gluten and dairy free. Any oil that doesn't use soy in it (or in the flavors inside it), will be soy free, so for that, you just read the label. (For instance, chili oil usually uses soybean oil and is infused with chili, but it will say soybean oil in the ingredient list, and I've found a couple that don't use soy.)

It'd also depend on what kind of cooking you're doing. Frying? Don't use hazelnut or olive, but canola's ok, and avocado is good too. Roasting? Olive's good for many flavors. Stir-fry? Canola's often good. Sautee? Almost any of them, because the heat doesn't get to high.

Guest kim07
Olive? Canola? Peanut? Hazelnut? Coconut? Avocado? Grapeseed? Tea?

I don't know that I understand the question. Any oil that isn't, say, wheat bran oil, or doesn't have anything added to it, like parmesean cheese in a dipping oil, is going to be gluten and dairy free. Any oil that doesn't use soy in it (or in the flavors inside it), will be soy free, so for that, you just read the label. (For instance, chili oil usually uses soybean oil and is infused with chili, but it will say soybean oil in the ingredient list, and I've found a couple that don't use soy.)

It'd also depend on what kind of cooking you're doing. Frying? Don't use hazelnut or olive, but canola's ok, and avocado is good too. Roasting? Olive's good for many flavors. Stir-fry? Canola's often good. Sautee? Almost any of them, because the heat doesn't get to high.

Hello Tiffany!,

I'm sorry I should have been more informative in my question, still learning and I might be having a problem with soy and dairy now including gluten so trying to be extremly careful.

It would be used to saut'e fish, and veggies mostly.

Canola though, I thought for sure was made out of soy beans. Am I wrong???

Please tell me if I am, because I need to know...

Thank you

Kim :)

aikiducky Apprentice

Olive oil would be good I think, plus it's very healthy. It's made of olives. ;)

Canola oil is made of rapeseed IIRC.

Pauliina

Guest kim07
Olive oil would be good I think, plus it's very healthy. It's made of olives. ;)

Canola oil is made of rapeseed IIRC.

Pauliina

Paulina thanks so much, that helps me out A LOT!!!!

:)

Kelly Langenfeld Newbie

All Crisco oil/shortning is gluten-free, and they make vegetable oil. I buy Canola oil for sray oil b/c it's better for your heart.

--Kelly

kabowman Explorer

Almost all vegetable oils have soy. Stay away from anything like that--for shortening, I have switched to lard which sounds awful but doesn't add any flavor and makes my pie crust very flaky. I had tummy problems with the palm shortening.

Also, I "heard" and don't know if it is true, that some of the cheaper, non-extra virgin olive oils add vegetable oil. I only use good extra virgin olive oil for cooking and I like canola oil for baking.

Tiffany is right, there are tons of different oils out there that don't contain soy...just read the label.

One more note - if you bake, I use oil/lard in even exchange for butter/margarine for all recipes. Liquid if it calls for melted, solid if it calls for non-melted.

I haven't found a margarine that is soy and dairy free. Lots are dairy free, none are soy free.

Also, I buy crushed garlic in a jar (I know, cheating but boy it makes things faster) and some have soy oil included. Soy is in everything. It is actually worse than gluten to avoid. Read all labels, closely.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cornbread Explorer

I only use either olive oil or coconut oil. Bother very good for you. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I use olive oil most of the time.

jerseyangel Proficient

I also use olive oil for almost everything. I have extra virgin and the lighter colored type--between the two, it covers everything.

achiera Rookie

i second coconut oil, its a great healthy fat!

Felidae Enthusiast

I use olive oil or canola oil.

jenvan Collaborator

I also def. vote olive oil for the type of cooking you are talking about. If you really want to explore there are other unique oils like walnut and sesame to try too....

Silver-naki Rookie

:(

They have an Olive Oil "cooking spray" put out now by Kroger. I accidentally ran into this at the Grocery Store awhile back, & had not seen the Olive Oil in a spray can. In reading the ingredients labeled on the back, it has 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Soy Lechithin, Water & Propellant. "Kroger" brands are found in the Smith's Grocery Store chains......

I use alot of Olive Oil & also Canola Oil to cook with.... and yes, there is SOY in about everything!

Guest Viola

I use Olive oil for stir fries etc. but Grapeseed oil for frying meat or other things that need a higher heat without burning.

tarnalberry Community Regular
:(

They have an Olive Oil "cooking spray" put out now by Kroger. I accidentally ran into this at the Grocery Store awhile back, & had not seen the Olive Oil in a spray can. In reading the ingredients labeled on the back, it has 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Soy Lechithin, Water & Propellant. "Kroger" brands are found in the Smith's Grocery Store chains......

I use alot of Olive Oil & also Canola Oil to cook with.... and yes, there is SOY in about everything!

You can get your own sprayer so that you can have nearly the same functionality, but with your own oil.

minibabe Contributor

I use grape seed oil. I just recently started using it and it makes the food taste absolutly wonderful. I could not believe the difference in taste of the food, once my mom started using it. I swear by it and it is free of gluten, soy, and dairy. The ingredients: 100% natual grape seed oil. This oil can be treated as any oil would be, it can be used for ANYTHING! The grape seed oil also contains no cholesterol, preservatives, sodium, or trans-fatty acid. ITS HEAlTHY!

Open Original Shared Link

(Scroll down midway of the page and it has the health information)

Happy Cooking :D

Archived