This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flippin' Playdough...grrr... I Need Help!

sleepingbean

sleepingbean Newbie

Well, I can make so many great and creative foods, but my cooking ability stops short at playdough. I cannot get a good batch of gluten free playdough! I have tried so many recipes and they all flop I think it must be something in my method?

So, someone who makes a great gluten free playdough...please walk me through it! I will be supplying my daughter's class with playdough all year and I need to figure this out by Tuesday!

LOL

I made 6 batches tonight. Three were too goey and sticky and one is almost brittle and crumbly. The other two are just so so. The salt didn't disolve (is it supposed to?)

I need a rescue remedy!

LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Well, I can make so many great and creative foods, but my cooking ability stops short at playdough. I cannot get a good batch of gluten free playdough! I have tried so many recipes and they all flop I think it must be something in my method?

So, someone who makes a great gluten free playdough...please walk me through it! I will be supplying my daughter's class with playdough all year and I need to figure this out by Tuesday!

LOL

I made 6 batches tonight. Three were too goey and sticky and one is almost brittle and crumbly. The other two are just so so. The salt didn't disolve (is it supposed to?)

I need a rescue remedy!

LOL

Buy it instead! It's kinda pricey, but I have been told that it is well worth the money.

Open Original Shared Link

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest nini

I make an awesome playdough...

Gluten Free Playdough recipe:

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup corn starch

1/2 cup salt

2 tsp. cream of tartar

1 cup hot water

1 tsp. cooking oil

food coloring

Mix all ingredients together in saucepan, cook on low heat, stirring occassionally for at least 5 minutes or until it forms a ball.

Remove from heat, let cool for 10 minutes. Scoop into a large bowl, add at least 1/2 cup more rice flour, and 1/2 cup more corn starch, knead until well mixed and no longer sticky. Store in airtight container.

If it gets to dry, add a few drops of water, If it's too sticky add more rice flour and corn starch in equal amounts.

VydorScope Proficient
Buy it instead! It's kinda pricey, but I have been told that it is well worth the money.

This si what we use, and we supplied my son's pre-school with it. Works very much like the "real" thing. I hihgly recomend it :)

sleepingbean Newbie

Okay, thanks for the tips on adding after the fact! I didn't know you could do that!

LOL

I am really feeling foolish about not being able to make decent play dough! :blink:

I can't bring myself to spend $20 plus shipping on pre made play dough when I know it can be made for less then $5! Rice flour is super cheap here, as is salt...

Okay, I'll try again tomorrow (with the above instructions)!

Wish me luck!

Guest nini
Okay, thanks for the tips on adding after the fact! I didn't know you could do that!

LOL

I am really feeling foolish about not being able to make decent play dough! :blink:

I can't bring myself to spend $20 plus shipping on pre made play dough when I know it can be made for less then $5! Rice flour is super cheap here, as is salt...

Okay, I'll try again tomorrow (with the above instructions)!

Wish me luck!

I'm wishing you luck. I have found that with just a little practice this is VERY easy and fun. I get my daughter involved in the kneading in extra corn starch and rice flour after it's cooked and cooled and she has a ball with it. We've been able to make quite a few batches in one afternoon and had lots of different colors to play with. Don't be afraid of a lot of food coloring to make the colors vibrant. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any further trouble and maybe I can help you troubleshoot. Oh and where it says to stir OCCASIONALLY, I stir it almost constantly, letting it rest only for 30 seconds or so before stirring more.

Esther Sparhawk Contributor

I tried making my own playdough too, and yechhh! What a mess! Some people just aren't gifted with cooking, and I admit, I'm one of those people. <_<

My Colorations glitter dough from Discount School Supply just arrived yesterday, and my kids LOVE it. It was worth every penny. Their first comment was, "Wow, Mom, this stuff even smells like real playdough!" The tubs it comes in are twice the size of regular playdough tubs, so it may even be enough for the whole preschool, in just the one package. And surprizingly, it only took about three or four days to arrive.

I wish you luck, honestly, but sometimes the money is worth your sanity. :lol:

Mechelle

p.s. Don't take this post as words of wisdom. Read my next post!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Okay, now I have to retract what I wrote earlier. Annie played with the glitter dough this morning, and had three episodes of diarrhea this afternoon. They could be related.

Does anybody know if the glitter dough formula from Colorations is perhaps NOT gluten-free? It was on this forum that I first heard of Colorations as a gluten-free dough, but I chose the glitter dough, not the regular, when I ordered it.

Mechelle

Okay, now I have to retract what I wrote earlier. Annie played with the glitter dough this morning, and had three episodes of diarrhea this afternoon. They could be related.

Does anybody know if the glitter dough formula from Colorations is perhaps NOT gluten-free? It was on this forum that I first heard of Colorations as a gluten-free dough, but I chose the glitter dough, not the regular, when I ordered it.

Mechelle

Is it the one that says wheat free/ gluten free? If not then it's prob. not safe. I don't believe that the gluten free dough comes in a glittery variety.

Is it the one that says wheat free/ gluten free? If not then it's prob. not safe. I don't believe that the gluten free dough comes in a glittery variety.

Well, I just called them. They say that the glitter form of Colorations dough is gluten-free (and dairy free and nut free and yadda yadda yadda). I asked them to please email me a list of ingredients. I'm not going to let her play with it again until I get that email. It will probably be next week sometime before I hear from them again, since the weekend is approaching.

Mechelle

I just got the following email from Colorations:

Dear Michelle,

I received an email message from my customer service dept regarding a reaction your daughter has had with the Glitter Dough, our item# GLITTDO. This product is made with a wheat flour. If your child is having a serious reaction please take her to the Emergency Room and they will contact Poison Control who has the ingredients in their database. This product is non toxic and has been tested by Duke University to carry the non-toxic seal however I am unable to release the ingredients to anyone other than an Emergency Room or your child’s physician. Please phone me at 800-933-4278.

Aha. Now I know why Annie got sick today! :rolleyes: I emailed the same person with a question regarding the other Colorations dough products. Perhaps they've just recently changed their formula? Maybe that's why the lady on the phone said that the product was definitely gluten-free. Beware everyone!

I'll let you know, if I get another email response, as to whether or not any of the Colorations dough products are gluten-free anymore.

Mechelle

VydorScope Proficient
I just got the following email from Colorations:

Dear Michelle,

I received an email message from my customer service dept regarding a reaction your daughter has had with the Glitter Dough, our item# GLITTDO. This product is made with a wheat flour. If your child is having a serious reaction please take her to the Emergency Room and they will contact Poison Control who has the ingredients in their database. This product is non toxic and has been tested by Duke University to carry the non-toxic seal however I am unable to release the ingredients to anyone other than an Emergency Room or your child’s physician. Please phone me at 800-933-4278.

Aha. Now I know why Annie got sick today! :rolleyes: I emailed the same person with a question regarding the other Colorations dough products. Perhaps they've just recently changed their formula? Maybe that's why the lady on the phone said that the product was definitely gluten-free. Beware everyone!

I'll let you know, if I get another email response, as to whether or not any of the Colorations dough products are gluten-free anymore.

Mechelle

Yea the dough we got is labed in huge letter WHEAT/GLUTEN free, but its not the gliter dough which I never heard of till this thread. Some one once posted that Colorations entire line was gluten-free, but I have not seen anything from them that backs that up, and your post pretty much kills that rumor!

Guest nini
Yea the dough we got is labed in huge letter WHEAT/GLUTEN free, but its not the gliter dough which I never heard of till this thread. Some one once posted that Colorations entire line was gluten-free, but I have not seen anything from them that backs that up, and your post pretty much kills that rumor!

their customer service department had told ME that the entire line was gluten-free. But this obviously is not the case. I apologize for passing along bad information, but that was what I was told. I guess we need to make their customer service dept. more aware of the seriousness of this.

VydorScope Proficient

Any one know if their ink stamp stuff is gluten-free? My mom order a ink set for my son.. its not arrived yet thoguh.

Can you send me an good email address for them?

Any one know if their ink stamp stuff is gluten-free? My mom order a ink set for my son.. its not arrived yet thoguh.

Can you send me an good email address for them?

The individual who sent me the warning email can be reached at ACraig@Excelligence.com and I would trust her word over the people on the phone. Like Nini, I was told over the phone that the glitter dough was gluten-free. The rep on the phone is the person who needs better training, so be careful about calling their 800 number. Ms. Craig, who sent the email, appears to be more trustworthy with her information.

And hey Nini, don't sweat it. I totally understand. You expect their phone reps to give trustworthy info, as did I. Perhaps because this isn't a food item we're talking about, the people at the top of the company aren't placing celiacs in their "top ten" for safety issues... though from our perspective, they certainly should be! <_<

VydorScope Proficient
The individual who sent me the warning email can be reached at ACraig@Excelligence.com and I would trust her word over the people on the phone. Like Nini, I was told over the phone that the glitter dough was gluten-free. The rep on the phone is the person who needs better training, so be careful about calling their 800 number. Ms. Craig, who sent the email, appears to be more trustworthy with her information.

And hey Nini, don't sweat it. I totally understand. You expect their phone reps to give trustworthy info, as did I. Perhaps because this isn't a food item we're talking about, the people at the top of the company aren't placing celiacs in their "top ten" for safety issues... though from our perspective, they certainly should be! <_<

Thanks! As soon as it arrives so tha ihav ehte right modle/part number I wil drop her an emial. :D

daffadilly Apprentice

I have not made this but I got it off the internet somewhere - it was in my recipe file...

Gluten Free Play Doh

2 cups rice flour

1 cup salt

4 teaspoons cream of tartar

2 tablespoons oil (vegetable or olive)

2 cups of water

food coloring

Mix all of the ingredients in a pan. Stir over medium heat. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the pan. Allow the dough to cool, then knead briefly (use more rice flour if needed). Store in an airtight container.

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

Thanks Nini for the recipe. We tried it this morning and Luke is having a blast playing with play dough again. I saved half of the batch for him to take to preschool on Thurs and the rest is for home. I think he is glad he gets to play with play dough with no wheat in it as he would say. :) Kendra

Tori's Dad Apprentice
This si what we use, and we supplied my son's pre-school with it. Works very much like the "real" thing. I hihgly recomend it :)

Thanks for the tip on this! Our 5 year old starts kindergarten tomorrow so we ordered a batch. It is a little pricy but you get a HUGE amount. There are 8 different colored tubes and each tube would easily equate to 2 or 3 cans of regular playdough. Only bummer is that they are not individually packed. Each tube is in a zip lock and all 8 are inside a plastic bucket with a lid.

Thanks for the tip on this! Our 5 year old starts kindergarten tomorrow so we ordered a batch. It is a little pricy but you get a HUGE amount. There are 8 different colored tubes and each tube would easily equate to 2 or 3 cans of regular playdough. Only bummer is that they are not individually packed. Each tube is in a zip lock and all 8 are inside a plastic bucket with a lid.

I bet you could make your own containers. How about used and washed out frosting tubs.......peel off the label and use the appropriate colored marker to mark the side of the container (red dough=red marker).

Guest katerismom

Hi everyone,

I need some help ordering the colorations dough. I am having trouble navigating the discount school supply website. I'm not able to find the dough anywhere - I'm being directed to floor tile, wall paint colors, but no play dough. I order online all the time - never have I had a problem finding a product. Could someone help?

Thanks!

Amy

Mom to Kateri - dx at age 14 mos. - now 3 yrs.

queenofhearts Explorer

Some of you probably saw this already, but for those who didn't, there are a bunch of recipes on this thread:

VydorScope Proficient
Hi everyone,

I need some help ordering the colorations dough. I am having trouble navigating the discount school supply website. I'm not able to find the dough anywhere - I'm being directed to floor tile, wall paint colors, but no play dough. I order online all the time - never have I had a problem finding a product. Could someone help?

Thanks!

Amy

Mom to Kateri - dx at age 14 mos. - now 3 yrs.

Here:

Archived