This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Monkey Bread

gointribal

gointribal Enthusiast

My husband loves monkey bread but I can't eat it the way the recipe says. The recipe calls for 4 cans of biscuits (premade ones) so I don't even have a recipe to change. Does anyone have one?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aggieceliac Newbie

I used to always eat this growing up (pre-diagnosis of course). I'll work on it and see if I can come up with something. Maybe just use a gluten-free bread dough? I've been busy with starting school and all and haven't had a lot of time yet to experiment in the kitchen now that I actually have one. But as soon as I do I will have to try this.

KayJay Enthusiast

I did the recipe from this site (I think) but it did not turn out very well at all. I love monkey bread too so if you find a recipe that works please share :D I bet my dd would go crazy for some too.

GFBetsy Rookie

What does this recipe consist of? If you just need a biscuit (is that how that is spelled?) recipe, I have one that tastes really good. It doesn't rise the same way that "regular" baking powder biscuits do, but the texture and flavor are great.

Betsy

eKatherine Rookie
What does this recipe consist of? If you just need a biscuit (is that how that is spelled?) recipe, I have one that tastes really good. It doesn't rise the same way that "regular" baking powder biscuits do, but the texture and flavor are great.

Betsy

Traditionally, monkey bread is where you take balls of yeast dough, roll them in butter, and fill a loaf (or some other shape) pan. It bakes up taking the shape of the pan you baked it in, but instead of slicing it, you can break off neat pieces. It's hard to imagine any of the gluten bread batters I've made cooking up like this.

guitarplayer4God Explorer

I was looking online for a gluten-free sandwich bread recipe and found this Monkey Bread recipe instead and thought I would share it with you.

Monkey Bread

1 bag Gluten Free Pantry Country French Bread Mix (#30)

1/2 tsp. salt

2 Tbs. sugar

1 yeast packet (enclosed) or 2 1/4 tsp. yeast

1 3/4 cup warm water

1 tsp. cider vinegar

1/3 cup oil

2 eggs plus 1 egg white

1 bag GFP Crisp and Crumble Topping (#125)

5 Tbs. softened margarine

Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a bundt pan with vegetable oil. In mixer, combine bread mix, salt, sugar, and yeast. Combine water, vinegar, oil and eggs. Add to flour mixture and beat 2 minutes. Meanwhile, with a fork, combine topping mix with margarine.

Using a medium size scoop, drop balls of dough into bundt pan. (Tip: Spray scoop with vegetable oil). When bottom of pan is completely covered with dough, sprinkle some topping over dough. Continue to layer balls of dough and topping until all the dough is used. Make sure to sprinkle a little extra topping as the final layer. Cover with plastic wrap. Let sit in a warm place 30 to 40 minutes or until dough rises close to top of pan. Bake 40 minutes in oven.

Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack. Remove from pan. To serve, pull apart the balls of dough with your fingers.

GFBetsy Rookie
Traditionally, monkey bread is where you take balls of yeast dough, roll them in butter, and fill a loaf (or some other shape) pan. It bakes up taking the shape of the pan you baked it in, but instead of slicing it, you can break off neat pieces. It's hard to imagine any of the gluten bread batters I've made cooking up like this.

Thanks for the info! I've never heard it called that . . . good to learn new things! :)

I've done a similar thing to the recipe guitarplayer suggested. I use my regular gluten-free bread recipe, spread some melted butter in the bottom of a bundt pan (or whatever) then use one of those squish-it-out cookie scoops (pampered chef sells them) to drop balls of bread "batter" in a layer on the bottom of the pan. Then I drizzle that layer with more butter and sprinkle it heavily with cinnamon sugar or orange zest sugar. Keep repeating until the pan is half full, let it rise 20 minutes or so, and then bake it. It makes really yummy "cinnamon roll" balls . . . and you can pull them apart and dip them in cream cheese frosting. YUM!

If anyone wants my bread recipe, let me know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor

So funny that this thread is here ~ I have been thinking about Monkey Bread!

Betsy, could you please post your recipe? Thanks!

GFBetsy Rookie

Here it is:

True Yeast Bread/Pizza Crust - Adapted from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet

3 C. gluten-free flour mix

1/4 c. sugar

3 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

1/2 c. lukewarm water

1 1/2 Tbs. yeast

1/4 c. oil

1 1/4 c. water (Not too hot, or you'll kill the yeast. You want it to be about baby bath temperature.)

1 tsp. Rice vinegar

3 eggs

Mix flour mix, sugar, xanthan gum, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Dump yeast on top, but don't mix it in. Combine warm water, oil, and vinegar. Pour directly on top of the yeast and let sit for 5 inutes or so. (The yeast should bubble and foam a bit.) Turn the mixer on low, and mix well. Mixture should be slightly warm. Add the eggs, then beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Turn oven to 400 degrees.

For Bread: Spray pans well with Pam. Spoon into pans (or English Muffin rings), and let rise on oven as it heats (about 20 minutes). Bake loaf pan for about 35 minutes. Bake muffin rings about 20 minutes.

For Pizza: Spray 2 13x18 jelly roll pans with Pam. Place half of the dough on each pan. Spray the top of the dough with Pam, and press the dough flat in the pan. (Or just wet your hands with water to spread it.) You don't have to let it raise. Bake about 10 minutes (til top is golden brown). Remove from oven. Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted - about 15 minutes. (For thicker crusts, use smaller pans.)

The bread keeps best if you cut it as soon as it's cooled and then store it in the fridge or freezer in a ziplock bag. Then reheat the number of pieces you want in the microwave.

chicagojen Newbie

Hi - I just returned back from a trip to South America, and fell in love with not only the countries we visited, but also Brazilian pao de queijo (there's supposed to be an accent over the first letter a, but I left it off for fear it might not display properly). They are these excellent little cheese breads made with no yeast or wheat flour (they use tapioca flour instead). I bought some mixes to bring home, and they are all labeled gluten free.

Anyway, the consistency of the little balls is very stretchy/springy, and i think a non-cheese version might make a decent monkey bread starter. I did a quick search to see where i could find mixes in the US, and found this company, which even offers a cinamon roll style: Open Original Shared Link

I haven't tried any of their product, but it looks like they're available at wild oats stores. Might be worth a shot.

Unrelated but interesting - I was very surprised to find that every packaged product in brazil was labeled as to whether or not it contained gluten... the message was in Portuguese, but it's easy enough to translate "nao contem gluten" and "contem gluten." :)

penguin Community Regular

Chebe is a great product, and they acutally come out as an actual ball of dough that you can knead and not a better. Jen is right, that would work great!

• 2 years later...
Milly-Face Newbie

So I tried the monkey bread recipe posted by guitarplayer4god and I had some trouble with it. It is a great recipe but I am new to gluten free baking and my yeast didn't activate at all. I tried it again but made a few adjustments and posted them in case any of you had the same problem with the yeast.

Mix dry ingredients according to recipe but instead of putting the yeast in with the dry ingredients, put in separate bowl and mix in 1/2 tsp. of sugar and 1/4 cup of warm water and dissolve (remember when mixing wet ingredients together, only use 1 1/2 cups of water since 1/4 cup is already being added to yeast.) The yeast will activate in less than 5 min. Mix wet ingredients together. The yeast should be frothy now. Add yeast mixture and wet ingredients to flour mixture. Continue according to recipe provided above.

It came out great. Thanks guitarplayer4god!

ang1e0251 Contributor

[ They are these excellent little cheese breads made with no yeast or wheat flour (they use tapioca flour instead). I bought some mixes to bring home, and they are all labeled gluten free.

In Colombia these are called Pan de Yuca and they are made with tapioca flour like you descibed. You can find these mixes in most Hispanic markets, lots of those in our area. They are labeled with the Spanish name but the boxes sold in the US also have all the wording in English. They are very inexpensive. I've used them for some time for Chicken and Dumplings, yummy! Funny I haven't made the little biscuits, traditionally eaten for a light dinner with hot chocolate, even though I like them that way...

Chicken and Dumplings

Fill your crockpot with chicken, water, salt, pepper, tumeric, garlic and onion. Cook overnight. Dice the chicken and return the meat equal to one breast to the pot. Freeze the rest of the chicken for other meals.

Add a stick of butter, you heard me - just do it, to the broth. Make one batch of Pan de Yuca per the box instructions. Bring the soup to a hard boil. Take your small restaurant scoop, spray with nonstick spray, then scoop balls of dough all the way around the edge of the pot. They will sink, that is OK. Keep scooping them in until you have all the dough used. Do not place one on top of the other, try to give each their own spot but it's OK if they touch. Now put the lid on the soup and lower to low heat. I usually go watch TV until the next commercial, maybe 15-18 minutes? The dumplings will have risen to cover the top of the soup and are ready to eat!!

Don't fight over it! There's plenty for everyone!

Wonka Apprentice

Here is a recipe for you to try. I have it in my recipe file but I haven't tried it yet.

Monkey Bread Recipe

Dough Ingredients

1 1/4 cup low fat milk, heated slightly (as you would for a baby)

4 Tablespoons butter

2 Tablespoons sugar

1 Tablespoon yeast

1 large egg

1 1/2 cup gluten-free Flour Mix (includes xanthan gum, if your mix does not, add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum to recipe)

1 cup sorghum flour

1/2 cup tapioca starch

1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum (see above note about gluten-free Flour mix)

1 teaspoon gelatin

1/2 teaspoon salt

Dough Instructions:

1. In a small bowl, pour 1/4 cup of the milk. Add 2 Tablespoons sugar and 1 Tablespoon yeast. Set aside in a warm place to proof.

2. Mix together your other dry ingredients with a whisk in a small bowl (gluten-free flour mix, sorghum, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, gelatin, and salt)

3. Heat the remaining milk a little higher and add the 4 Tablespoons of butter to melt it. Pour the butter/milk mixture into your mixing bowl.

4. Mix on low speed the milk/butter with your proofed yeast/milk/sugar. Add one egg. Blend together well on low.

5. Stop the mixer. Add your dry ingredients. Restart the mixer on low. The dough will come together a bit and is a bit heavy.

6. Mix on medium-high for 5 minutes.

7. While the bread is mixing, butter and sugar the inside of your chosen pan.

8. Once done mixing, scrap the dough together and divide into small balls (about 1/2 the size of a golf ball).

9. You

HiDee Rookie

Roben Ryberg has a new cookbook out called "You Won't Believe it's Gluten-Free!" I got it as a present. The main thing with this book is that she has several recipes for each food item using only one flour per recipe, it's an interesting premise and the few recipes I've tried so far worked well. So, she has three monkey bread recipes, one rice-based, one potato-based and one corn-based. I've tried the potato (starch) recipe and it's very good and pretty easy. It tastes best the first day and after letting it cool for a while.

2 T butter softened

1/4 c sugar

3 egg whites

1/2 c plain yogurt

1 c potato starch

2 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1 t xanthan gum

1 T cider vinegar

1/2 t vanilla

Filling:

1/2 c brown sugar

1/2 t cinnamon

4 T butter

Cream butter and sugar first, add egg whites and beat until frothy. Add everything else and mix well. Set aside, mix filling ingredients together in separate bowl. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough into greased loaf pan, sprinkle with filling and keep layering until dough and filling are gone. Bake 30-40 min. at 350. I've tried this in a 9x9 pan and there's only one layer of dough with the filling on top and it cooks a little faster but it's still very good.

Archived