This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenease

terps19

terps19 Contributor

Anyone heard of Glutenease by Enzymedica? I cant find the link right now but google it and it should come up

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I think this product is highly suspect. It will make them a bundle, while it has not been proven safe. Or I rather should say, it has not been proven to keep people safe, if they take it and get off their diet.

The first statement one site made is this:

Enzyme treatment for gluten intolerance: an ultimate solution, where as a gluten-free diet or casein free diet is only effective in the short term.

I think that is a very irresponsible statement. How is the diet only effictive in the short term and not a good solution? What would make gluten ease a better long-term solution, seeing that you'd have to take it with every single meal for the rest of your life (if it is effective, that is)?

Where are the studies that prove that using gluten ease will prevent the autoimmune illnesses and the intestinal cancer, that a gluten-free diet will prevent?

I think it would be a good solution if you're in a situation where cross contamination might be a potential issue. But I wouldn't use it INSTEAD of the diet.

I think a lot more research has to be done, and a lot more evidence presented, for me to consider using this product.

Right now it just looks to me that they claim that the diet isn't a good solution, because they want all of us to run and buy their product, making them a bundle in the process.

terps19 Contributor
I think this product is highly suspect. It will make them a bundle, while it has not been proven safe. Or I rather should say, it has not been proven to keep people safe, if they take it and get off their diet.

The first statement one site made is this:

I think that is a very irresponsible statement. How is the diet only effictive in the short term and not a good solution? What would make gluten ease a better long-term solution, seeing that you'd have to take it with every single meal for the rest of your life (if it is effective, that is)?

Where are the studies that prove that using gluten ease will prevent the autoimmune illnesses and the intestinal cancer, that a gluten-free diet will prevent?

I think it would be a good solution if you're in a situation where cross contamination might be a potential issue. But I wouldn't use it INSTEAD of the diet.

I think a lot more research has to be done, and a lot more evidence presented, for me to consider using this product.

Right now it just looks to me that they claim that the diet isn't a good solution, because they want all of us to run and buy their product, making them a bundle in the process.

Oh please dont get me wrong. I would never think about putting gluten and casien in my body ever again. I think this could be used in conjunction with the diet so that it might help with the cross contamination issue. I bought one bottle and I will see if it works etc. Again... The diet is teh best solution; and if you can add something that will help with CC then heck I am all in.

I will report back with my experience with the proudct.

Thanks for your reply Ursula

DonnaF Newbie

Yes, notice this, from one site:

The main treatment for gluten or casein intolerance has been to remove offending foods from a person’s diet, also known as the Gluten-free Casein-free (gluten-free, casein-free) diet. Though effective in the short term, removing foods does not provide an ultimate solution. Once those foods are reintroduced to the diet, the symptoms return.

They assume I would want to reintruduce those foods. :unsure:

On one hand, my body treats it like poison, so, why find ways to enable me to eat what my body is rejecting. On the other hand, gluten isn't (normally) poison, so why not find a way to help my body do what it should?

I'll think about it. But the bottom line is that I would have to know for certain that it isn't just "easing" the symptoms for a while, and masking an even bigger problem.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Oh please dont get me wrong. I would never think about putting gluten and casien in my body ever again. I think this could be used in conjunction with the diet so that it might help with the cross contamination issue. I bought one bottle and I will see if it works etc. Again... The diet is teh best solution; and if you can add something that will help with CC then heck I am all in.

I will report back with my experience with the proudct.

Thanks for your reply Ursula

I'm sorry if it seemed that I was attacking you personally. Not at all. You asked what people thought about the product, and I did some research on it and posted my thoughts. Not AT YOU, but ABOUT the product. I never assumed you were planning on using it instead of staying on the diet. Just thought I'd clarify that.

Please do let us know how it works, as I am actually tempted to buy some, for those family get-togethers when people claim they are serving me gluten-free food, but I have to be worried about cc. If I'd take this product on a day like that, I wouldn't be quite as worried about getting sick.

jerseyangel Proficient

Terps--Yes, please, if you try it, let us know! I would be interested in it as a way to be able to eat out once in a while without the fear of CC. ;)

DonnaF Newbie
Please do let us know how it works, as I am actually tempted to buy some, for those family get-togethers when people claim they are serving me gluten-free food, but I have to be worried about cc. If I'd take this product on a day like that, I wouldn't be quite as worried about getting sick.

:lol: That is exactly what I was thinking! I was just explaining to my mom about how I have to be more discriminating about the foods I eat; eating mostly pure foods and less proccessed stuff (I've been having a lot of cc issues) and she began boasting about how she makes gluten-free food for me every time I go to her house, and I finally gathered the nerve to tell her that I get sick after every visit :(

And I do miss eating out. It's things like visiting and eating out that make it the hardest. I don't mind being vigilant about my own shopping/cooking and such, but I hate to be a problem for other people trying to cater to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terps19 Contributor
:lol: That is exactly what I was thinking! I was just explaining to my mom about how I have to be more discriminating about the foods I eat; eating mostly pure foods and less proccessed stuff (I've been having a lot of cc issues) and she began boasting about how she makes gluten-free food for me every time I go to her house, and I finally gathered the nerve to tell her that I get sick after every visit :(

And I do miss eating out. It's things like visiting and eating out that make it the hardest. I don't mind being vigilant about my own shopping/cooking and such, but I hate to be a problem for other people trying to cater to me.

Well it should be coming in the mail this week. I do believe that Enzymedica is a respectable enzyme company, but I only take things at face value. Being gluten and milk free will be a goal of mine for the rest of my life; or until a cure comes out. I thought people might be interested in a potential product that might help with CC. I first read about gluten-ease in a medical journal but I cant for the life of me remember which one. I am personally terrified about eating out, going to relatives houses for holidays when I have to make my own food (buying new pans, ingredients etc) and if this product can help with the small amount of gluten that I might ingest accidentally- our situations might become less stressful and we can enjoy our families and friends instead of becoming more familiar with our relatives comodes.

Again I will report back with my findings

jbeaus221 Newbie

You don't have to search to far to find GlutenEase in google. It is on the right side of this very website itself in the "ads by google" box.

This is a bit frustrating since this website is dedicated to helping Celiacs sift through the good stuff vs the snake oil.

Having it on the side bar implies that the admins for the site approve the ads and/or advocate the products being advertised. Though I suspect that the only thing actually approved is the placement of the "ads by google" box, and that google is filtering the ads to place there all on their own.

elonwy Enthusiast

They are only just now going into Human trials for Enzymes to help Celiacs. Read from the bottom of the Glutenease statement:

"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease."

This is not a drug, this falls under "herbal supplement" so therefore is untested and unproven under any guidelines.

From a gluten free newsletter: "Q2. What is GlutenEase? Does it really work or is it another gimmick to make money off of unsuspecting people?

A2. To date, there is no testing to confirm that GlutenEase is an effective way to combat ingested gluten. The gluten-free diet remains the only medically-tested means of treating celiac disease and adherence to the diet is the only recommended treatment to relieve symptoms. "

Now once the compnay working on the enzymes finished thier work, publishes reports and they come out with a product, I'll try it. Until then, I'm not a believer.

Elonwy

• 1 year later...
tom Contributor
On the other hand, gluten isn't (normally) poison, so why not find a way to help my body do what it should?

Peanuts don't normally kill people either, but I bet none of us would recommend some analogous product to a family member w/ that killer peanut allergy.

Perhaps glutenease could help someone w/ a slight gluten-intolerance, but I believe it's quite misleading and even dangerous the way the company talks about it.

Dangerous in that imho it's not a safety net whatsoever, and ppl who believe it is may get careless about cc issues.

Repeated exposure to even small amounts of gluten CAN lead to serious non-GI conditions in some ppl - again, imo.

debmidge Rising Star

Our sentiments exactly.....we have been mulling over telling my sis in law that we don't want to eat over on Christmas due to the CC issues which we KNOW exist at her place. We don't want to place a heavy responsibility on her and would rather eat at home. She doesn't take No for answer..... :unsure::o

marciab Enthusiast

Terps,

How did you do on this ?

Did anyone here try this ? Or has anyone tried DPP-IV ?

• 2 weeks later...
hidngplace Newbie

I am going to use GlutenEase with my daughter, but she does not have Celiac and this product in NOT intended for people with Celiac Disease. There isn't any claim from the company that it is.

A quote from their site:

"This new formula supports people suffering with gluten or casein intolerance. GlutenEase is not formulated to prevent celiac symptoms."

My daughter is autistic, I joined this site because my sister in law recommend it for recipes (my niece has Celiac disease) Many autistic children react to Gluten and Casein proteins it causes the brain to go haywire because they cannot process the proteins. It causes drug type reactions in autistic kids. Here is a quote of what these proteins do to autistic kids, it acts like a drug.

"The peptides from gluten and casein are important because the react with opiate receptors in the brain, thus mimicking the effects of opiate drugs like heroin and morphine. These compounds have been shown to react with areas of the brain such as the temporal lobes, which are involved in speech and auditory integration.

Children with autism frequently seem addicted to wheat and dairy products. Presumably, people with Autism and schizophrenia incompletely digest wheat and dairy products. These incompletely digested peptides are then absorbed into the body and bind to opiate receptors, altering behavior and other physiological reactions."

This is what GlutenEase is formulated for. It enables the body of those that cannot tolerate the proteins and stops these affects. It also helps those with sensitivies to those proteins. Get bloated etc.

I just thought maybe I could help clear this up a little. We still do a Gluten-free Casein-free diet, but this is a great backup. I know autistic kids that won't speak for days if they get one cheerio. Wish there was a pill that could help celiac, it would be great for my niece, but I haven't heard of one. And this definitely isn't it.

• 1 year later...
TedL Newbie

I use Glutenease on those rare occasions when I eat out at a non-GFRAP restaurant. Does it work? I don't really know honestly. I've been fortunate and haven't had a major reaction in a while, but it might just be luck. The only reason that I bothered to try it is that I use other Enzymedia digestive enzymes and they seem to help in general.

Pros:

* Might potentially help lessen gluten reactions

* Not very expensive for occasional use

* Probably harmless -- I've had no negative reactions

Cons:

* Might just be a waste of money

* I'm not a fan of their advertising -- it could easily fool someone into thinking that this will allow them to eat Gluten with Celiac disease.

Regards,

Ted in NY

brigala Explorer
"The peptides from gluten and casein are important because the react with opiate receptors in the brain, thus mimicking the effects of opiate drugs like heroin and morphine. These compounds have been shown to react with areas of the brain such as the temporal lobes, which are involved in speech and auditory integration.

My sister has recently had a positive blood test for Celiac (I don't think she had a biopsy done). She has been gluten-free for about a year now (yet still tested positive). My sister is 40, but I am sure if she were a child today she would be diagnosed with Asperger's (they just weren't diagnosing it 35 years ago - you were either full-blown autistic or you were just "different.").

Anyway, although she has IBS, she hasn't had much relief of those symptoms since going gluten-free (I think she's not careful enough, but that's just a guess). What she says is that she feels like her head is clearer. When she has succumbed to temptation, she finds herself feeling drugged and incoherent.

Personally, I have not noticed this brain-fog symptom of gluten ingestion at all, but my IBS, chronic fatigue, and several other chronic health problems have disappeared since I went gluten-free.

Anyway, I'd be very interested in seeing a study in children with autism-spectrum disorders who show improvement on a Gluten-free Casein-free diet, and see whether those children also have a higher rate of Celiac disease than the general population, or even just compared to those children who do NOT show improvement on the diet.

In any case, something like Glutenease seems like it may not be a bad idea for kids (who invariably are going to get glutened when Mom's not watching) or certain people in certain circumstances. I could understand taking some before eating at someone else's house, or at a restaurant, but it wouldn't make me less careful about avoiding gluten. I don't think I'd trust it that far.

-Elizabeth

rinne Apprentice

This is not a product I would use.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread, it has been one of the most enlightening threads I have encountered. :)

Mr.GlutenFree Newbie

Wow this thread just kept going. Definitely the most interesting one I've seen.

When they test you for Celiacs disease there testing for a specific gene that you have attached to your DNA. That's what makes are body react the way it dose to Gluten. SO if there was a cure it's more then fixing our body it's fixing apart of our genes. That's still hard to do even for doctors and scientist.

When I first started showing digestive problems it looked like milk was the reason. So my parents got my lactose pills. It help for a couple of years until my body started to not process anything. That's when i went to a doctor and got a blood test done. I've been on a gluten-free diet for 4 years and since milk was never the problem I can still drink it.The enzyme pills help mask what I was eating even the gluten. That's just my experience with enzyme pills. Just be careful and don't become addicted to them if they do work.

I do like the idea for using it in case of CC I would like to try it out my self.

Food for thought

Archived