This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spring Break: Cancun

katrinamaria

katrinamaria Explorer

hey--

i'm going on spring break in march to cancun, mexico. this is my first time really traveling while gluten-free and first time ever out of the country... i'm a little nervous. i was just wondering if anyone had any advice/suggestions (aside from bringing an ENTIRE suitcase full of gluten-free food :) lol)?? esp. if you've traveled gluten-free to mexico before...

thanks for your help!

kms

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
hey--

i'm going on spring break in march to cancun, mexico. this is my first time really traveling while gluten-free and first time ever out of the country... i'm a little nervous. i was just wondering if anyone had any advice/suggestions (aside from bringing an ENTIRE suitcase full of gluten-free food :) lol)?? esp. if you've traveled gluten-free to mexico before...

thanks for your help!

kms

when I went to college (Ohio St), I went to Cancun three times! LOL

The beach is great, the bars are fun, but the food sucks (gluten free or otherwise). Bring plenty of gluten free chips, snacks and bread.

Stick with burgers when you can - normally safe.

Here are the places I ate when I was down there:

1. Senor Frogs

2. Carlos N Charlies

3. Hard Rock Cafe

4. Outback

5. Planet Hollywood

6. Rainforest Cafe

7. Ruth Chris Steakhouse

8. McD's

9. Taco Shops

10. Breakfast at the hotels - just get scambled eggs w/ cheese.

Make sure you email them before you go down...

Hope this helps,

BB

katrinamaria Explorer

hey thanks! i've heard of senor frogs... i'll keep those in mind. what sorts of things did you order? (i'm also a vegetarian). normally when i eat out here, i just get a baked potato...

thanks---

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I went to cancun for spring break a few years ago, and it was lots of fun! very americanized, so you shouldn't have a hard time. there's tons to do and see. Plus there's a huge variety of places to eat, so you should be able to find places that serve gluten-free. Have fun :)

Lauren M Explorer

I don't mean to be the Debbie Downer of the bunch, but I went to Acapulco for spring break almost 3 years ago and I have never been so sick in my life. I definitely stopped eating anything there, and relied only on my snacks I brought. I would have brought more, but I was afraid they were going to seize them.

Hopefully the others' positive experiences with Cancun are a good sign, though! Good luck!

- Lauren

• 1 month later...
tostow Newbie

When my husband and I took our kids to Mexico a couple of years ago, we took a Rubbermaid tub full of foodstuffs for my son and husband. The foods were sealed in their packages (required) with labelling. We had a lot left over, and left it there, but I felt better knowing that I had enough. We brought gluten-free pastas, our own cornchips (previous trip taught us that corn chips often CC with wheat flour tortillas, Mexican deepfried dishes). We found wonderful soft corn tortillas in Mexico, but asked first whether contained any wheat flour in them. Fresh seafood if you eat good option.

My kids love ice cream, so we even brought our own camping ice cream maker, as I got a reply from ice cream maker in Mexico that couldn't say ice cream gluten-free (can't remember brand - maybe Nestle?).

Good luck!

Archived