This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Your Moms Pie Crust

melrobsings

melrobsings Contributor

OK So I remember my moms pie dough....it was the best thing you ever tasted and so easy to make however I can NOT get it to work gluten-free! I'ts the normal crisco, flour, salt water mix but the crust always turns out to break and crack and not be brilliant like when my mom made it.....I use the rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch flour mix with xantham gum and it's crap....anyone have a good recipe that makes pie crust like their moms...? anyone know what I'm talking about?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

I think gluten free crust needs a little help--namely eggs! I use gluten free pantry pie crust mix, but I add an extra teaspoon xanthan gum and it turns out great.

melrobsings Contributor

AHHH I'm so thrilled now!! Thank you!

mbrookes Community Regular

I can tell you something NOT to try... I was going to make a pie crust like a graham cracker crust, but use gluten-free ginger snaps. I loaded up the food processor with gluten-free ginger snaps and turned it on. It souinded like a load of rocks. The cookies did not crumble. They just bounced around.

Next I triesd the blender with even worse results. I was afraid the blades would break off.

Finally, I lined the pie tin with whole cookies and poured the filling over them. Turned out to be a great Key Lime Pie. Just don't try to make gluten-free ginger snap crumbs. My husband is still laughing about it (as he gobbles the last of the pie)

debmidge Rising Star
I think gluten free crust needs a little help--namely eggs! I use gluten free pantry pie crust mix, but I add an extra teaspoon xanthan gum and it turns out great.

I second Jenny's message - down to the extra xanthan gum. However, I can't use a whole box - makes too much (4 pie shells) ; so I

judge half of the mix and make half. I have never been disappointed with the mix.

Additionally, Whole Foods sells a frozen gluten-free pie shell which is good too.....

lpellegr Collaborator

Sorry if you needed this by Thanksgiving, but I just saw the thread. Try this, adapted from the Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman. It tastes just like the Crisco recipe and handles well.

1 c white rice flour

3/4 c tapioca flour

3/4 c cornstarch

1 rounded teaspoon xanthan gum

3/4 t salt

1 T sugar

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in 3/4 c of shortening or butter.

Mix: 1 egg, slightly beaten

1 T vinegar

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Start adding cold water, 1 T at a time, and tossing with a fork to mix. Stop adding water when everything can be balled up together and not leave dry stuff behind. Don't mix it or squeeze it more than you need to or it will get tough.

Cut it in half - if you don't need two crusts you can freeze one. I have used one a year old with good results. Wrap up each ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes (you can skip this and it will still work). Roll out each piece on waxed paper, dusting with rice flour as needed. Invert the pie pan over the rolled dough, slip your hand under the waxed paper and flip the whole thing over to get the crust into the pan. Finish as you would usually. Prebake or bake with filling as called for in your pie recipe.

Ginsou Explorer

I recently made a 2 crust pie using the Bette Hagman recipe, and it was excellent. It was a flakey type crust, (I used Spectrum)which is what I prefer. I also refrigerated the dough, and after 30 minutes in the fridge tried to roll it out.....it refused to roll and would not stay together.I don't like cold weather and neither did the dough. I live at 4,000 ft. and a dry climate, so not everything goes according to plan. I let it sit on the counter for a while, put a few drops of canola oil on it, and gave it another try. Success.

I also had success with a crust recipe from Annalise Roberts. Her crust was the crumbly type and held together just fine......did not break apart. Excellent.

I've discovered a great way to roll out pie crusts.....put the crust between 2 pieces of saran wrap, plop it on the (clean) kitchen floor, put a large cast iron frying pan on top of it, then step into the pan and put all your weight on it, move your feet around a bit in a circle inside the pan, and the result will be a pie crust just about right for the pie plate. You could also put the dough in a 12" cast iron pan, then put a 10" pan on top of it, and use the same procedure. Works for me!!

Just make sure no one sees you do this,they will think you're nuts for sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
I recently made a 2 crust pie using the Bette Hagman recipe, and it was excellent. It was a flakey type crust, (I used Spectrum)which is what I prefer. I also refrigerated the dough, and after 30 minutes in the fridge tried to roll it out.....it refused to roll and would not stay together.I don't like cold weather and neither did the dough. I live at 4,000 ft. and a dry climate, so not everything goes according to plan. I let it sit on the counter for a while, put a few drops of canola oil on it, and gave it another try. Success.

I also had success with a crust recipe from Annalise Roberts. Her crust was the crumbly type and held together just fine......did not break apart. Excellent.

I've discovered a great way to roll out pie crusts.....put the crust between 2 pieces of saran wrap, plop it on the (clean) kitchen floor, put a large cast iron frying pan on top of it, then step into the pan and put all your weight on it, move your feet around a bit in a circle inside the pan, and the result will be a pie crust just about right for the pie plate. You could also put the dough in a 12" cast iron pan, then put a 10" pan on top of it, and use the same procedure. Works for me!!

:lol::lol::blink:

I thought I was nuts making flour tortillas in a similar fashion on the counter ;)

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have made pie crusts for many years but I have never rolled the dough this way! I love it! I will make one this weekend. It also sounds like I need to put on "The Twist" to dance that crust into shape. THanks for the tip!

JennyC Enthusiast

:lol::lol::lol: I love it! I might just try that next time! :D

deb6 Newbie
OK So I remember my moms pie dough....it was the best thing you ever tasted and so easy to make however I can NOT get it to work gluten-free! I'ts the normal crisco, flour, salt water mix but the crust always turns out to break and crack and not be brilliant like when my mom made it.....I use the rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch flour mix with xantham gum and it's crap....anyone have a good recipe that makes pie crust like their moms...? anyone know what I'm talking about?!

Good Morning, I posted this pie crust info on the delphi board. We used a food processor, and unsalted butter. However you could make these crusts the usual method, or by mixer and using crisco. The Rebecca Reilly recipe is posted in message # 14862.1111 of the delphi forum.

PM me with any questions.

Perhaps this info will help with Christmas pies :)

My 4 kids ( 20, 17, 15, 12 )and I made 4 different gluten-free pie crust recipes for our Thanksgiving desserts (in the morning--T'day). The whole extended gluten eating family voted. I am the only one gluten free. We actually really liked all of them!! All were easy to make and repair if torn. None of them can be folded and placed in pan. They must be placed from the saran and positioned. All of the pie crusts edges must be covered with foil about halfway through baking (not mini tarts). I think all of the crusts would work well if made the night before needed and refrigerated. We used unsalted butter in all crusts.

1) Henry's Farmer's Market Gluten Free Pie Crust--single crust

Open Original Shared Link

Won best all around piecrust. Easy prep, easy roll out, and overall taste test. My 15 year old son made in food processor Thanksgiving morning, put in frig for about one hour. Rolled out straight from the frig, no wait time with saran and cooking spray. Very easy, tastes "like a thin sugar cookie without the sugar--light and flaky". Baked with Tollhouse Cookie Pie filling.

2) Revised and Expanded Annalise Roberts Gluten Free Baking Classics--page 87 ( I love this new cookbook version!)

Traditional Pie Crust--single crust

Won "most like a real pie crust, flaky, light and just tastes good". Also, very easy prep in the food processor. Made in a.m., was in frig at least an hour. Must sit out 20-30 minutes before rolling out or warm with hands while shaping. Use saran and cooking spray. Light and flaky, bakes darker color even when covered with foil. Made with Annalise's flour mix--exact recipe. Gluten- Free Brown Rice Flour Mix page 6. Baked with pecan pie filling.

note--This crust recipe is practically identical to the single crust-- Flaky Pastry-- page 183 Gluten Free Baking by Rebecca Reilly.

3) Silly Yaks pie crust/Pastry Recipe for Pie Crust-Gluten Free

Recipezaar.com # 214686

Won most "moist and delicate, and the prettiest". Made in food processor, just a bit fussier to make due to ice water . Makes 1 1/2 pie crusts. Might be good for lattice top pie. The 2tsp xanthan gum left a bit of an aftertaste that everyone noticed. Whipped cream solved it. Would reduce the amount to 1 1/2 tsp. when making again. Bakes the lightest in color of the 3 full pie crusts that we made. Used with pumpkin pie filling.

4) Elizabeth Barbone's Pecan Tassies

Open Original Shared Link subscription only (SO WORTH IT!! Great recipes and she answers any baking questions so quicky via email :) She also has a cookbook that I love as well.

Elizabeth's crust uses white rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch and xanthan gum. Similiar idea recipe: Recipezaar #105371-- Gluten Free Pecan Tassies

Won "most yummy" "coolest because bite size"and "tastes just like real with gluten Tea Time Tassies"

Made with kitchenaid mixer. Refrigerated for one hour. Form chilled straight from the frig. Definately more time consuming to make 24 balls and press into mini muffin tins, but fabulous result. My kids loved making these and were very proud of this dessert.

Best,

Deb in Raleigh NC

purple Community Regular
Good Morning, I posted this pie crust info on the delphi board. We used a food processor, and unsalted butter. However you could make these crusts the usual method, or by mixer and using crisco. The Rebecca Reilly recipe is posted in message # 14862.1111 of the delphi forum.

PM me with any questions.

Perhaps this info will help with Christmas pies :)

My 4 kids ( 20, 17, 15, 12 )and I made 4 different gluten-free pie crust recipes for our Thanksgiving desserts (in the morning--T'day). The whole extended gluten eating family voted. I am the only one gluten free. We actually really liked all of them!! All were easy to make and repair if torn. None of them can be folded and placed in pan. They must be placed from the saran and positioned. All of the pie crusts edges must be covered with foil about halfway through baking (not mini tarts). I think all of the crusts would work well if made the night before needed and refrigerated. We used unsalted butter in all crusts.

1) Henry's Farmer's Market Gluten Free Pie Crust--single crust

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for testing and posting!! Very helpful!

Won best all around piecrust. Easy prep, easy roll out, and overall taste test. My 15 year old son made in food processor Thanksgiving morning, put in frig for about one hour. Rolled out straight from the frig, no wait time with saran and cooking spray. Very easy, tastes "like a thin sugar cookie without the sugar--light and flaky". Baked with Tollhouse Cookie Pie filling.

2) Revised and Expanded Annalise Roberts Gluten Free Baking Classics--page 87 ( I love this new cookbook version!)

Traditional Pie Crust--single crust

Won "most like a real pie crust, flaky, light and just tastes good". Also, very easy prep in the food processor. Made in a.m., was in frig at least an hour. Must sit out 20-30 minutes before rolling out or warm with hands while shaping. Use saran and cooking spray. Light and flaky, bakes darker color even when covered with foil. Made with Annalise's flour mix--exact recipe. Gluten- Free Brown Rice Flour Mix page 6. Baked with pecan pie filling.

note--This crust recipe is practically identical to the single crust-- Flaky Pastry-- page 183 Gluten Free Baking by Rebecca Reilly.

3) Silly Yaks pie crust/Pastry Recipe for Pie Crust-Gluten Free

Recipezaar.com # 214686

Won most "moist and delicate, and the prettiest". Made in food processor, just a bit fussier to make due to ice water . Makes 1 1/2 pie crusts. Might be good for lattice top pie. The 2tsp xanthan gum left a bit of an aftertaste that everyone noticed. Whipped cream solved it. Would reduce the amount to 1 1/2 tsp. when making again. Bakes the lightest in color of the 3 full pie crusts that we made. Used with pumpkin pie filling.

4) Elizabeth Barbone's Pecan Tassies

Open Original Shared Link subscription only (SO WORTH IT!! Great recipes and she answers any baking questions so quicky via email :) She also has a cookbook that I love as well.

Elizabeth's crust uses white rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch and xanthan gum. Similiar idea recipe: Recipezaar #105371-- Gluten Free Pecan Tassies

Won "most yummy" "coolest because bite size"and "tastes just like real with gluten Tea Time Tassies"

Made with kitchenaid mixer. Refrigerated for one hour. Form chilled straight from the frig. Definately more time consuming to make 24 balls and press into mini muffin tins, but fabulous result. My kids loved making these and were very proud of this dessert.

Best,

Deb in Raleigh NC

Lisa16 Collaborator

Here is what I use. It is quick and easy and pretty consistent.

1 cup of domata flour

1/3 cp of olive oil (or other)

salt (about 1/2 tsp)

1 whole egg

stir together by hand-- it will be a little dry/crumbly.

Add some warm water (a couple of tbs or so-- it depends on how big your egg is) and then add a bit more flour bit by bit until you get the consistency you want. Knead it with you hands.

Roll it out (or press it into the dish). I have used this for apple pie, lemon merengue, pumpkin pie and cherrry pie. It is hard to mess it up. You can over cook it a bit and it will take it. It tastes like the real deal-- it is even flaky.

Archived