This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brain Fog, Irritability, B12, Mercury

Siga

Siga Newbie

I started looking into possible gluten sensitivity problem because of various head problems that began rapidly pile up on me since last spring. I have had consistently low RBC (Red Blood Cell Count) and high MCV (Mean corpuscular volume) for at least last 10 years. I have had bouts of low energy and foggy brain since about 14. Life really went down the hill since last spring. Extreme brain fog, heavy head, really slow, balance problems, sometimes numbness in various parts of my head. Bouts of extreme irritability and impatience.

My doctor prescribed B12 injections every other week, because my B12 was rather low, although it did not seem to be out of range (361 pg/mL, when normal is considered 211-911). Nonetheless B12 helps enormously, just not long enough. My brain would clear up, my sense of balance and energy level would get better, my irritability would go away after every injection, but after about 5 to 7 days I would start sliding back to my old sickly state. And since my last blood test showed high B12 (around 800), my doctor told me to cut back the B12 injections to once a month.

So I tried to research possible gluten sensitivity. The Enterolab testing shows high gluten antibodies, but the blood tests that my doctor ordered showed them really low

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mr. moore Explorer

coud other symptoms be like poor vision, depression and confusion? im wondering if that's my problem since i've had progressively worse symptoms as i age, middle school it was just bad anxiety, then as i went through high school i became a lot more confused about my surroundings, and very depressed since i was medicated alot. i was also given LOTS of fillings in my late middle school years, and have 6 mercury ones. im curious how much B12 a day do you take?

mr. moore Explorer

would the dissolving b12 work too?

AliB Enthusiast

I am not sure that one month gluten-free would necessarily be long enough to show any positive results. Whilst some get a result pretty much immediately, others can take longer.

My issues were not confined to gluten but incorporated dairy and most carbs too. My digestion just does not cope with them very well at all. Whilst I got immediate relief with certain issues on going gluten-free my digestion was still not coping so I dropped the dairy and most carbs too.

I now follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which removes anything processed, all di- and poly-saccharide carbs and concentrates on good wholesome (and preferable organic) meat, fish, poultry, veg and fruits, nuts, honey and home-made 24-hour cultured yogurt for probiotic support.

Quite a few of us on the forum are following the diet and getting some good results with it for all sorts of health issues. Many have problems digesting carbs properly and undigested carbs are great food for pathogenic microbes. Gut dysbiosis is also an issue for a lot of us and can contribute to pathogenic overgrowth triggering various health issues.

I suspect I may also have mercury issues and have just started an 'oil-pulling' exercise. The oil helps to draw mercury out of the teeth and the body. There is a thread on the 'Anything other than Celiac' section, and an SCD thread on the 'Other Food Intolerances' section if you are interested in knowing more.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Basically they have found that mercury (from amalgam fillings and otherwise) impairs the transport of vitamin B12 over the blood-brain barrier which results in a low B12 concentration in the brain even when B12 shows up normal in blood tests. They tried high doses of B12 on their amalgam patients (with various problems attributed to B12 deficiency, such as fibromyalgia, MS and dementia) and got some stunning results.

Mercury does impair transport of B12. Mercury does its damage insidiously....it blocks enzymes, it interferes with how vitamins and minerals are transported and utilized in the body. It can impair detoxification, its a huge immunosuppressant, increases susceptibility to infection and the list goes on and on. It just really messes things up.

You may have had high levels of B12 in your blood but it doesnt mean that the body is transporting it and utilizing it as it should. I have mercury toxicity and bloodwork does not identify a serious B12 deficiency (I was at low normal range). However, other tests (urine organic acids) do indicate a problem with the transport of B12. Many things are out of balance and not functioning normally.....although none of this was evident with any conventional test that I had done.

Also, most (if not all) people with mercury toxicity have blocks in the methylation cycle which impair detoxification, immune function, etc.

B12 is a necessary nutrient for methylation.....without it the pathway is impaired and does not function normally. This pathway is necessary for the body to excrete toxins...including all heavy metals.

The proper B12 supplementation can improve the function of the pathway (methylation cycle)......and this can help the body to eliminate toxins as well as fight off virus and bacteria.

The problem is I also found that some other researchers warn against high doses of B12 for the mercury patients, because when B12 and mercury react it produces methyl-mercury which is considered the more dangerous form. On the other hand the Swedish researchers seem to show that the toxic effect of mercury to humans is mostly due to causing B12 deficiency in the brain, so I guess if you just keep bombarding brain with B12 you are fine. But you can
mr. moore Explorer

how exactly do you know what your lacking?

Siga Newbie
coud other symptoms be like poor vision, depression and confusion? im wondering if that's my problem since i've had progressively worse symptoms as i age, middle school it was just bad anxiety, then as i went through high school i became a lot more confused about my surroundings, and very depressed since i was medicated alot. i was also given LOTS of fillings in my late middle school years, and have 6 mercury ones. im curious how much B12 a day do you take?

Happy New Year everyone! :)

Yes, poor vision, depression and confusion are often mentioned as symptoms of B12 deficiency as well as mercury poisoning.

Since my doc told me to stop B12 injections, I started taking B12 pills daily (unfortunately without them I feel like halfway to Alzeimer diagnosis). Some say that B12 pills are not digested well, so it is better to get the shots or sprays or disolvable tablets, but regular B12 pills (1000 mcg in form of cyanocobalamin) so far have been working for me pretty well. I'll try to cut it down in half and I'll see if that will be enough for me. Various websites are urging to add selenium, Vitamins C, E, and folic acid, and B6 for mercury detox, so I take a selenium pill and "B vitamin complex+C" supplement, as well as "Omega 3-6-9" every day and Vitamin E and multivitamin every other day. I certainly don't want to overdo it, so perhaps I'll cut down on some of those in a little while.

I also take Chlorella pills (they are supposed to clean the intestinal tract of mercury), since they are not supposed to stir up mercury, just take it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mr. moore Explorer
Happy New Year everyone! :)

Yes, poor vision, depression and confusion are often mentioned as symptoms of B12 deficiency as well as mercury poisoning.

Since my doc told me to stop B12 injections, I started taking B12 pills daily (unfortunately without them I feel like halfway to Alzeimer diagnosis). Some say that B12 pills are not digested well, so it is better to get the shots or sprays or disolvable tablets, but regular B12 pills (1000 mcg in form of cyanocobalamin) so far have been working for me pretty well. I'll try to cut it down in half and I'll see if that will be enough for me. Various websites are urging to add selenium, Vitamins C, E, and folic acid, and B6 for mercury detox, so I take a selenium pill and "B vitamin complex+C" supplement, as well as "Omega 3-6-9" every day and Vitamin E and multivitamin every other day. I certainly don't want to overdo it, so perhaps I'll cut down on some of those in a little while.

I also take Chlorella pills (they are supposed to clean the intestinal tract of mercury), since they are not supposed to stir up mercury, just take it out.

but chlorella pills don't take mercury from the brain do they? and is there a way to stop inhaling the mercury? could i wrap tape around my teeth?

Siga Newbie
but chlorella pills don't take mercury from the brain do they? and is there a way to stop inhaling the mercury? could i wrap tape around my teeth?

No, chlorella does not take mercury from the brain, but at least some part of my body is going to get a little cleaner :D

I am weary of all the stuff that is supposed to move the mercury out of organs and the brain, because they would sir up the mercury, and for quite a few people that would damage the brain even more. So for now I am taking the safest road.

Do you really want to tape your teeth? :o

Rachel--24 Collaborator
No, chlorella does not take mercury from the brain, but at least some part of my body is going to get a little cleaner :D

I am weary of all the stuff that is supposed to move the mercury out of organs and the brain, because they would sir up the mercury, and for quite a few people that would damage the brain even more. So for now I am taking the safest road.

Do you really want to tape your teeth? :o

I agree with you Siga. Anything that is going to mobilize mercury and possibly cause redistribution to the brain or cause damage to kidneys, liver, etc. is not something you wanna mess around with....especially in the beginning when the gut and excretory organs are still loaded with mercury/toxins. The road has to be clear....with pathways open so that whatever is chelated has a way out. If you clear mercury from the gut the body will start to release some of its burden naturally and more will be moved into the gut....as it is mostly distributed in a way so that no single organ is overwhelmed. The body tries to keep things in balance...even in the way that it stores the toxins.

Chlorella is considered to be a "super food"....very healthy for those who can tolerate it. Unfortunately, I couldnt tolerate it. :(

Lisa Mentor

The thread topic is Celiac Disease and Related Disorders and Research. I am moving this topic to Gab/Chat due to the fact that it no longer pertains to Celiac Disease or Related Disorders and it's concentration is now mercury toxicity.

Siga Newbie
B12 is a necessary nutrient for methylation.....without it the pathway is impaired and does not function normally. This pathway is necessary for the body to excrete toxins...including all heavy metals.

The proper B12 supplementation can improve the function of the pathway (methylation cycle)......and this can help the body to eliminate toxins as well as fight off virus and bacteria.

Chemistry certainly was not one of my favorite subjects :rolleyes: so can you, Rachel, please explain a few things for me?

From what I understand having methyl mercury in your body is worse than having the other form, right? Wouldn't it be logical to say that mercury methylation should be avoided at all costs?

This is where I get confused. From what I found out on the web, vitamins B and C methylate mercury, yet they are also sugested for mercury detox. How could that be? :unsure:

purple Community Regular

So far I read not to drink hot liquids, don't rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide and breath in thru the nose and out thru the mouth(if you can remember :huh: ).

Funny, b/c I hate hydrogen peroxide and I rinsed with it once just before I read about not doing it.

And I hate hot drinks. I only have hot cocoa once per year and last week I had it 3 times, in between shoveling snow, trying to keep warm. No-No don't do that! :blink:

mr. moore Explorer
So far I read not to drink hot liquids, don't rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide and breath in thru the nose and out thru the mouth(if you can remember :huh: ).

Funny, b/c I hate hydrogen peroxide and I rinsed with it once just before I read about not doing it.

And I hate hot drinks. I only have hot cocoa once per year and last week I had it 3 times, in between shoveling snow, trying to keep warm. No-No don't do that! :blink:

actually when you think about it, if mercury can go through body tissues im sure it could go through tape or something. besides its always coming out. im surprise im not retarded.

purple Community Regular
actually when you think about it, if mercury can go through body tissues im sure it could go through tape or something. besides its always coming out. im surprise im not retarded.

You are very smart and learning everyday! You are taking charge of your health. Once you really start to feel better...those that think you are crazy might just start listening to you and start asking you questions. You will be a walking encyclopedia or should I say walking computer now days?!?!

Instead of target you could be an alternative health doctor. (I still think Rachel should be a doctor, she knows more than many of them ;) )

AliB Enthusiast

That's funny cos I've never been able to stand really hot drinks - my husband used to moan like mad that he'd make me a drink and I would forget about it (he's used to it now after 32 years!). That was usually because it was too hot and I'd go off and do something and forget about it until it was stone cold.

Even now, if I make a hot drink I always fill up the last third with cold water/coconut milk/whatever.

I have, at last count, at least 10 amalgam fillings, and have always had a metallic taste in my mouth.

purple Community Regular
That's funny cos I've never been able to stand really hot drinks - my husband used to moan like mad that he'd make me a drink and I would forget about it (he's used to it now after 32 years!). That was usually because it was too hot and I'd go off and do something and forget about it until it was stone cold.

Even now, if I make a hot drink I always fill up the last third with cold water/coconut milk/whatever.

I have, at last count, at least 10 amalgam fillings, and have always had a metallic taste in my mouth.

Metallic taste means metal toxic and may be why you can't get rid of those "buggers" (read bottom link)

One of those links I posted:

Open Original Shared Link

said: (I don't know how to copy/paste, sorry) Quote: mercury and toxic metals block enzymes required to digest milk casein and wheat gluten, resulting in dumping morphine like substances in the blood that are neurotoxic and psychotic, as a major factor in schizophrenia, autism, ADHD and MS.

I have been trying to learn, its like a domino effect IMHO. Food is supposed to be healthy but something is not allowing it. Foreign things like mercury has an adverse effect. When we get mercury from our mother we have a lessened chance of being born healthy and from other sources.

Then as that other link I posted:

Open Original Shared Link (scroll to Bacteria and Yeast in the green letters)

said Unquote: the body allows candida to absorb the mercury so if you kill the candida the mercury spreads and you feel worse causing leaky gut and food allergies, etc.! *Please Read The Paragraphs On This Link.

My mom(73) has always been healthy, she has 1 mercury filling and smoked 40 years. I was born healthy and still am, but didn't want to brush my teeth when I was little. I have 10-12 mercury fillings and I am healthy. My first born has had alot of minor health issues and is gluten intolerant (no fillings). My 2nd born is allergic to gluten and has keratosis pilaris. Their dad has terrible teeth, worse than mine. The kids other grandma has lots of health issues and perfect teeth while the grandpa has terrible teeth. And we are mostly Irish.

purple Community Regular

Ali, read this one too:

Open Original Shared Link

scroll to bold faced letters:

Mercury and Immune System Repression

and the paragraph right after that;

Amalgam fillings typically convey immunity to antibiotics

Sorry I don't know how to copy and paste

AliB Enthusiast

I've always hated cleaning my teeth too. I prefer to floss or 'pick'. I could never stand the 'mintiness' of toothpaste, although I don't mind mints (perhaps subconsciously I was trying to avoid the Lauryl Sulphate!).

There's something to be said about cleaning your teeth with a Neem stick (if I could ever get hold of any). Wish it was warm enough here to grow a tree in my garden!

AliB Enthusiast
Then as that other link I posted:

Open Original Shared Link (scroll to Bacteria and Yeast in the green letters)

said Unquote: the body allows candida to absorb the mercury so if you kill the candida the mercury spreads and you feel worse causing leaky gut and food allergies, etc.! *Please Read The Paragraphs On This Link.

Something very interesting I picked up on that item is that mercury tends to congregate amongst other places in the hyothalamus, and the Limbic System thought to be the seat of emotions.

I was looking into doing a raw food diet, which I sort of started but have shelved a bit at the moment cos the weather is so darn cold - I just don't feel like eating salad! One of the things I picked up whilst reading several 'raw food' experiences is that quite a few mentioned that after being on the diet for a while their senses and emotions became very sensitive. They were much happier and at peace with themselves and the world, and more in tune with others.

I do wonder if the constant ingestion of the enzymes, nutrients, minerals and vitamins, not to mention the fiber might just act as a catalyst for removing the mercury. If the mercury dulls the emotions, then the removal of it has to have the opposite effect. Also, many report that the raw diet gets rid of Candida. Just maybe the raw diet is 'killing' two birds with one stone!

Only a theory, but not too 'way out'. The natural flora has amazing properties. Certain herbs have already been mentioned in the methylation connection, but perhaps the fiber is needed for absorption and transport. As most of us do not eat anything like the amount of raw food we should, then perhaps we are not actually helping ourselves overmuch!

purple Community Regular
Something very interesting I picked up on that item is that mercury tends to congregate amongst other places in the hyothalamus, and the Limbic System thought to be the seat of emotions.

I was looking into doing a raw food diet, which I sort of started but have shelved a bit at the moment cos the weather is so darn cold - I just don't feel like eating salad! One of the things I picked up whilst reading several 'raw food' experiences is that quite a few mentioned that after being on the diet for a while their senses and emotions became very sensitive. They were much happier and at peace with themselves and the world, and more in tune with others.

I do wonder if the constant ingestion of the enzymes, nutrients, minerals and vitamins, not to mention the fiber might just act as a catalyst for removing the mercury. If the mercury dulls the emotions, then the removal of it has to have the opposite effect. Also, many report that the raw diet gets rid of Candida. Just maybe the raw diet is 'killing' two birds with one stone!

Only a theory, but not too 'way out'. The natural flora has amazing properties. Certain herbs have already been mentioned in the methylation connection, but perhaps the fiber is needed for absorption and transport. As most of us do not eat anything like the amount of raw food we should, then perhaps we are not actually helping ourselves overmuch!

I don't eat near enough raw food but I would like to. Our nearest Walmart or big shopping store is an hour away so we eat lots of raw the first week then have to wait a week. I shop about every 2-3 weeks. This month we had so much snow, its been 4 weeks since I got to go shopping :(

I know cooking kills the enzymes but does freezing? Like frozen veggies? Think how fast raw food is instead of cooking but darn it would get boring. So much healthier!!!

mr. moore Explorer

so can we all agree, or at least optimistically think, that if my mom gave birth to me with a mouthfull of mercury, and i as a child was slowly given more and more fillings, that it could cause problems with anxiety and depression and visual and memory problems? i think when people think of any kind of heavy metal poisoning they think of someone wheel chair bound.

• 1 year later...
sonear Newbie

I am going through something similar. Celiac with extensive food allergies, nutrient deficiencies and mercury toxicity. Taking B12 injections helped a lot for a while. I have also recently started taking a more bio-available form of folate. I'm actually taking a lot of supplements trying to support methylation/chelation and brain function. I got all my amalgam fillings removed and replaced. I've done about ten IV chelations and it didn't work very well (still pretty much off the charts with mercury) and it cost a lot of money.

If anyone has any ideas on how to break out of this spiral, I'd love to know. I'm embarking on a series of NAET allergy-reduction sessions. Wonder if anyone has experience (good or bad) with this.

Michaeld Newbie

I started looking into possible gluten sensitivity problem because of various head problems that began rapidly pile up on me since last spring. I have had consistently low RBC (Red Blood Cell Count) and high MCV (Mean corpuscular volume) for at least last 10 years. I have had bouts of low energy and foggy brain since about 14. Life really went down the hill since last spring. Extreme brain fog, heavy head, really slow, balance problems, sometimes numbness in various parts of my head. Bouts of extreme irritability and impatience.

My doctor prescribed B12 injections every other week, because my B12 was rather low, although it did not seem to be out of range (361 pg/mL, when normal is considered 211-911). Nonetheless B12 helps enormously, just not long enough. My brain would clear up, my sense of balance and energy level would get better, my irritability would go away after every injection, but after about 5 to 7 days I would start sliding back to my old sickly state. And since my last blood test showed high B12 (around 800), my doctor told me to cut back the B12 injections to once a month.

So I tried to research possible gluten sensitivity. The Enterolab testing shows high gluten antibodies, but the blood tests that my doctor ordered showed them really low

Archived