This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Half Moons On Fingernails

Guest gfinnebraska

Guest gfinnebraska

I was reading a post yesterday and someone mentioned that IF you are lacking in B-12 you won't have half moons on your fingernails. Hmmm... SO, I looked down and I don't have ANY moons at all!!! Do most of you take B-12?? What does a lack in B-12 do other than the fingernail thing??? Yes, I am headed to the store after work and picking up some, but I was just curious the effects of a low B vitamin diet. Thank you!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes I heard that too...I have moons on 7 or 8 of my fingers but it should be on all 10...I take sublingual B12 as well as a B complex vitamin and liquid vitamins.

I was sent an email by Deb a while ago and this is what it said:

Good vitamin B12 levels give you white moons on all

your fingers; the thumbs' are the last to go. (Tessa

Jupp, R.N., active in the Post-Polio Network, Dec.

2001)

If your moons have disappeared, you may have been

short of vitamin B12 for a long time. If so, you may

notice other symptoms of B12 Malabsorption Illness:

tingling hands and feet

numbness

memory problems

feeling exhausted

depression

sensitivity to noise

hundreds of brown spots

bleeding gums

burning sensation (possibly on thighs)

your legs jump at night

bone pain

balance and gait problems

heavy menstrual bleeding

diarrhea

Before your moons disappear, lines develop on your

nails. These can be faint, to very visible ridges like

fine wax drippings on a Chianti bottle -- lines on top

of lines, like hog back hills. To see them clearly, use

a magnifying glass or even reading glasses.

If you have faint lines, no more noticeable than the

tassels on the wheat in the image to the left, then run

through the barbed issues above, looking for ones

that apply to you. If three or four do, then be

warned that the others may be only a few years

away. If, that is, you do nothing.

Blue skin under your fingernails indicates that you

may be short of red blood cells and by extension,

the oxygen they carry.

Guest gfinnebraska

OH MY!!! I have SO many of those other symptoms!!! Yikes!! I had better get on some B-12 ASAP!! Thank you Kaiti!!! Wow... who knew???!! I am COVERED with brown spots. Thought I was just getting age spots early!! Thank you SO much... :o:D:o

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I found something about Vitamin B-12 on a german website. I tried to translate the most important stuff:

Vitamin B-12, also called cobalamine, is like folic acid there to help building the bloodcells. A lack of vitamin B-12 leads to the socalled pernicious anemia, where the bloodcells aren't completely build. Before the blood picture gets abnormal a little lack of vitamin B-12 shows through weakness, change in moods, light depression, lack of memory, flagging muscular system and athetosis.

Vitamin B-12 helps to transform the beta-carotine into vitamin A for the eyes.

Vitamin B-12 is very important for the metabolism.

Because every human has a lot of vitamin B-12 in the body and doesn't need THAT much it takes 3 to 6 years until the first "lack of vitamin B-12"-symptoms appear. Because 60% of all vitamin B-12 (2 to 5 mg) can be found in the liver (30% are in the muscular system, the other 10% in the renals, heart, spleen and brain), alcoholics and people with liverproblems/diseases are the first to be affected by symptoms due to lack of vitamin B-12. Also women in pregnancy and nursing (especially vegetarians), people with malabsorption (celiac disease), diabetes, people with severe thyroid problems, as well as breast-fed children of vegetarians and persons, that are older than 60, can suffer from lack of vitamin B-12.

There are different medications that can dicrease the absorption of vitamin B-12 into the metabolism. Pektin (I do not know the english name, sorry), a natural gelling agent in appels, makes it difficult for the body to get vitamin B-12, as well as sugar, candies/sweets, sweet beverages and laxatives. It's easier for the body to get vitamin B-12, when you eat foods reach in calcium like herbs or milk products. Vitamin B-12 is in liver, renals, oysters, crabs, herrings, mackerels, sardines, trouts, eels, meat and milk products. The only reason mussels and shellfishes have Vitamin B-12 is, because they eat microorganisms that are rich in vitamen B-12. The human body can partly build vitamin B-12 in the intestines with the help of coli-bacterias. But you need healthy intestines for this. Even with beer (yeast), which mostly men consume too much, you can satisfy the needs of vitamins up to 11%.

Well, there was a lot more to this text, but I couldn't translate everything. This is quite interesting, though.

skbird Contributor

I can't remember if I've posted this before but what finally convinced me to take B12, besides reading that folks like us are often deficient, was reading this page from the Merck Manual.

Open Original Shared Link

I had had a comprehensive metabolic panel done three times in less than a year as my doctor was trying to track my too-high cholesterol (before finding out about the gluten probelm) and I noticed my "alk phosphotase" was below normal values each time, in fact getting lower each time. I asked what that meant, he said don't worry unless it's high. Well, after reading the Merck Manual page above, I found that this low level is indicative of pernicious anemia. THEN I learned about the ridged fingernails, depression, lack of energy, etc. Totally me. I hadn't read before that sensitivity to sound was a symptom but I am hypersensitive to all sounds and often wish I would just go deaf. I'm totally serious (OK I would probably be unhappy about that but it does get to me - I wear ear plugs most of the time I'm at home and even used to at work sometimes!!!)

My levels of alk phosphotase were: 34, 30, and 25. Normal is 38-126, according to this lab. I haven't had my B12 levels tested and by the time I get around to seeing the doctor again and requesting such a test they may be pretty normal as I am diligently taking my B12 now, as well as B6 (something I was also low in, as my ALT and AST levels were on the lowest possible number in the healthy range - indicating B6 deficiency). Anyway, I find this really interesting, being able to finally translate lab values and wonder why doctors just don't care about that end of things - the stuff that can be treated with vitamins, but could indicate something much worse. That is very frustrating to me!

Anyway, thanks for the info...

Stephanie

PS I have strong moons on my thumbs, sort of moons on both index fingers, and a hint of on one of my middle fingers. Also lots of ridges and a split in my thumbnail that grew with my nail for 3 years until I went low carb/low gluten, and then it went away...

mytummyhurts Contributor

I am B12 deficient too. My doctor has me getting shots to get me back up to regular levels. Maybe you should ask your doctor for shots. They will probably want to do a blood test first to see how deficient you are. That's a faster way to get it back into your system. I don't have any moons on my fingernails. But I don't remember ever having them before either. I do have lots of ridges. And problems with nerves.

Guest gfinnebraska

Thank you for all the replies! I went last night and bought a B-12 and also a B complex to take. I was told that liquid B-12 absorbs better, so next time I am in a large city I will hunt for that! :) Hopefully my levels will return to normal soon!! I can not believe how long it takes to "discover" all these things that are wrong with my body. Sigh... THAT is why I always read this site ~ I feel like I learn something every single day!!! Thank you all ... :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beelzebubble Contributor

whoa. this post hit me like a load of bricks. i've been wondering why i only have half moons on my thumbs. i seem to remember having half moons on my fingers at some point :).

when you said lines on your fingernails, do you mean raised ridges that follow the growth of the nail? i developed those a couple of years ago. hmmm...what else can you tell us about this?

i've made a few posts about my energy/stress issues, but here's a quick recap:

tired all the time

depression/anxiety

easy startling

crying when startled

inability to deal with stress (feelings of being overwhelmed and wanting to cry or hide)

weakness

etc...

this may sound odd, but these things don't feel psychological. they feel chemical, or hormonal. my rational mind knows the the depression/anxiety/stress reactions are silly, i just can't convince my body of that.

anyway, this might make some sense, especially since both my grandfather and my sister have pernicious anemia.

plantime Contributor

OK, time for a seemingly stupid question: what are moons on the fingernails? My fingers have always been purply-blue under the nails, and I have always had ridges running lenthwise. They are not brittle, nor do they break easily. I do have problems with pernicious anemia, and require Bcomplex and iron supplements.

tarnalberry Community Regular

The moons under your fingernails (the white, semicircular bit of the nail bed at the cuticle) also "receed" as we get older, naturally.

uclangel422 Apprentice

I have never paid this much attention to my nails before. I also only have them on my thumbs and am sure that i have had them before. Very strange, must put that on the list for the doctor.

skbird Contributor

Could it be that the moons recede as we get older because as people get older, they become naturally deficient in B12? Just curious. Also, my husband is 17 years older than me, he is 50, and he has moons on all of his fingernails, really distinct ones, while I don't. BUT he does have really ridged nails as well. Either he's an exception to the rule or -- I don't know what he is! :P

Anyway, I have been looking for info on the web about moons and B12 deficiency and can't find anything. I can find though that if you have certain kinds of lung disease that this can be the reason you lose the moons, or lunulas, as they are called.

Stephanie

tarnalberry Community Regular

Well, genetics plays an important role as well! :-)

lotusgem Rookie

So are you guys saying that there is a connection between B-12 deficiency and anxiety disorders? I have had major difficulty with depression and anxiety throughout most of my life. It's gotten much better in recent years, but I totally hear you, Beezlebubble! I hate it when someone sneaks up on me "for fun" to surprise me. I am soooo easily startled and it's really unsettling and irritating. It takes nothing, and my anti-perspirant has failed me. My husband and I came to the conclusion that I am much more reactive than the average Joe. He laughs and says that I must have been a rabbit or squirrel in a previous life, because of how easily I'm startled. :o It's frustrating, because I don't think of myself as being a weak person, or lacking courage;it's more of a sensory thing.

Remember that, Beezlebubble...YOU are not weak. It's got to be physical, and I'm sure that it will ease up as we become better nourished on the gluten-free diet.

May you be well, may you be happy! (A Buddhist prayer.)

Paula

cdford Contributor

I knew I had been slacking off on my B shots because I hate those needles, but I did not realize how badly until I read this post and took a good look at my nails. I guess I get to take a shot tonight. Yuck.

plantime Contributor

Hmm, the base of the nail near the cuticle has always been the purply-bluest on my fingers. Never had moons of any shape or size. Perhaps because I've always had anemia! Must remember vitamins, must remember vitamins!

Guest BERNESES

Whoa! This is the second post in this forum tonight that has been blown me away (the first one was about Celiac's and Irish ancestry). I just looked at my nails and I barely have moons on thumbs. All my other moons are completely gone and I KNOW i had really prominent moons. Don't know when they went away though. Wow! And many of the symptoms described (anxiety, depression, tingling, etc) apply to me as well. Wow! I have learned SO much in the short time I've been on this board. Thanks everyone. Beverly

cdford Contributor

By the way, Steph, in English Pektin is pectin. It is probably pronounced very similarly to the German and has the same meaning.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Thanks, cdford, I think it's pronounced the same, yes. Good to know...

Emme999 Enthusiast

Hey maybe you wise people can tell me something about my fingernails. I have these horizontal umm... canyons in some of my fingernails. They are about as deep as a this -> V . No doctor has ever been able to tell me what is wrong with them but it looks really weird. I don't even put on fingernail polish because it draws too much attention to them. I usually keep my fingernails really short or else they curve up too much at the end. My thumbnails are the worst - two horizontal mini-canyons on each thumb about 1/4 of an inch apart.

Could this be related to celiac? Hmm...

lotusgem Rookie

Michelle, there was another post about fingernails in which I asked the same question. The others had been talking about vertical ridges and cracks, but what's going on with you sounds like what I've had, but mostly in my childhood. I really haven't been bothered with it much in recent years, but as a kid, my thumbnails looked like they had waves. They were so ugly and I knew that nobody else's nails were like that. I always wondered what it meant, and still don't have an answer, but I'd bet ten bucks that it's some kind of celiac related deficiency. (Like you, I also had dental enamel defects and since childhood have spent countless hours at the dentist getting fillings and crowns! Also, depression. Oy! Celiac is no fun :angry: , but things are getting better :)

Hope we get our answer.

Paula

cdford Contributor

In the last couple of weeks I have had a new phenomenon with mine. It looks as though the rat of growth changed or something because there is a circular ridge as though there is an extra layer of nail growing from the cuticle area. It is getting closer to the end of my nails with time and is deep enough to see and feel. I thought at first that I had just not completely removed my last fingernail polish until I removed it again and again and they are still there. Any ideas guys?

Guest BERNESES

I have a similar thing and I know I didn't have it before realizing I had Celiac's. Don't really know what it is. The only thing i can think of is that the nail polish i was using wasn't gluten-free (OPI)- I just ordered some gluten-free nail polish from Honey Bee gardens online so we'll see if that makes a difference. Weird? Also, it sounds like it could be a fungus. I have one on one of toe nails and I've been using Fung-Off (I love that name ;):P and it has helped a lot. Keep me posted.

• 1 year later...
glutenfreek Newbie

I have to admit I am rather perplexed, my moons went away after I went gluten-free, before I had huge moons on all my nails, and was told they should only be on my thumbs, that it was toxins being released from my body. I take mega doses of B12 for appetite control and my moons have never come back.

My seven year old daughter, diagnosed with celiac at nine months, recently shows me her fingernails, they have horizontal waves on them and pits, she is extremely embarrased and keeps a small nail grooming kit close at hand, odd for my country bumpkin who is not concerned with style. I did some research and found that people with who have eczema can also have eczema on their fingernails, and that it can be treated with cortizone shots into the cuticle bed - OUCH! Most of these sites also said that it is typical in individuals with an auto immnne disorder, hmm. However there were several warrnings mentioning that anyone with horizontal waves should check their water supplies because that is a sign of arsenic poisoning. We live in a rural/farming area and could possibly have run off from the fields entering our well. The fact is that waves on the fingernails are an indication of something further and I have no doubt it is related to celiac. I just want to find out what it is for sure. We are having our water tested.

The other thing she has and has had since she was an infant and has never cleared up are raised small rough bumps on the back of her upper arms. I want to get to the bottom of this for her sake.

Anybody else with these two symptoms?

VioletBlue Contributor

I have had those too in the past. They are better than they used to be, but yes I know exactly what you mean. My toe nails have always been like that, and I've had them on my thumbs as well in the past.

And amazingly enough I do not have moons. I'm only 45. Surely too young for them to disappear? I have small ones on my thumbs and slight suggestions of them on a couple fingers, but the rest just have no moons. I know I used to have them, I know I did when I was younger. I had beautiful strong nails back then. And I also know I didn't always have this blue tint. Well, chalk up another surprise from Celiac Disease.

I've been taking a B12 and COQ10 formula for the last six months as well as large doses of iron. Both have helped my mood. Before I started the gluten free diet the iron pills used to go straight through me and turn my poop a vivid forest green. Now days no matter how much iron I take that doesn't happen. Guess I'm absorbing it. Still got a long ways to go though according to tests.

Hey maybe you wise people can tell me something about my fingernails. I have these horizontal umm... canyons in some of my fingernails. They are about as deep as a this -> V . No doctor has ever been able to tell me what is wrong with them but it looks really weird. I don't even put on fingernail polish because it draws too much attention to them. I usually keep my fingernails really short or else they curve up too much at the end. My thumbnails are the worst - two horizontal mini-canyons on each thumb about 1/4 of an inch apart.

Could this be related to celiac? Hmm...

Archived