This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Skinless Gyoza(potstickers)

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Here's the newly tweeked version of a gyoza recipe that I used to make before gluten-free and low-carb.

All veggies should be somewhere between finely chopped and minced so they will cook through and mix well with the pork so that the gyoza hold together.

1c. nappa cabbage(hakusai)

1 stalk green onion and/or garlic chives

2-3 s$#&ake mushrooms, fresh or dried and re-constituted

1 small clove garlic

1/2 inch piece of ginger

1 tsp. soy sauce

2 tsp. sake or dry, very light white wine

1 tsp. roasted sesame oil

1/4 tsp. salt(I may omit it all together next time as the soy sauce and miso is salty)

1 tsp. white miso(make sure to research your miso and get one that has the starter culture grown on rice. This is called kome-koji. Some starter cultures are grown on barley.

Mix together well. Shape into 10-12 pieces and fry as directed above in the video. Serve each one wrapped in a bit of lettuce. I think it needs no dipping sauce but they are often served with 50%white vinegar(or 1/3 part), 50% soy sauce(or 2/3 part) and just a bit of hot(chili) sesame oil(rayu) mixed to taste.

For the whole recipe:

12.5g carb, 1.3 g. fiber, 2.0 g sugars 42.6 g pro.,

according to the nutritional calculator that I used.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Im really going to have to try this one of these days!

Been so hooked on the Indian foods but it is good to get home

and mix things up

Open Original Shared Link

Here's the newly tweeked version of a gyoza recipe that I used to make before gluten-free and low-carb.

All veggies should be somewhere between finely chopped and minced so they will cook through and mix well with the pork so that the gyoza hold together.

1c. nappa cabbage(hakusai)

1 stalk green onion and/or garlic chives

2-3 s$#&ake mushrooms, fresh or dried and re-constituted

1 small clove garlic

1/2 inch piece of ginger

1 tsp. soy sauce

2 tsp. sake or dry, very light white wine

1 tsp. roasted sesame oil

1/4 tsp. salt(I may omit it all together next time as the soy sauce and miso is salty)

1 tsp. white miso(make sure to research your miso and get one that has the starter culture grown on rice. This is called kome-koji. Some starter cultures are grown on barley.

Mix together well. Shape into 10-12 pieces and fry as directed above in the video. Serve each one wrapped in a bit of lettuce. I think it needs no dipping sauce but they are often served with 50%white vinegar(or 1/3 part), 50% soy sauce(or 2/3 part) and just a bit of hot(chili) sesame oil(rayu) mixed to taste.

For the whole recipe:

12.5g carb, 1.3 g. fiber, 2.0 g sugars 42.6 g pro.,

according to the nutritional calculator that I used.

missy'smom Collaborator

Hope you like it Ken! It originally was a Japanese recipe from one of those ladies magazines. I backed off quite a bit on the seasoning that was called for in the original recipe because not having the skin changes the balance, plus no steaming to draw out the salt and I eat so many simple foods that things taste very salty to me these days. Watch them carefully and watch the heat too as they get dark easily. 1/2 a recipe is good for a complete 6 carb snack/meal for me.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Making these this weekend. Love the video with the kids in the background!

kenlove Rising Star

Now I just need time to get back in the kitchen -- Need to bang out a bunch of sauces, jams and jellies for the holidaze too.

this does look really good though.

BTW do you know awa, Kibi and hie -- the millets. There are a few others in INdia I sent home.+

can hardly with to try them.

Hope you like it Ken! It originally was a Japanese recipe from one of those ladies magazines. I backed off quite a bit on the seasoning that was called for in the original recipe because not having the skin changes the balance, plus no steaming to draw out the salt and I eat so many simple foods that things taste very salty to me these days. Watch them carefully and watch the heat too as they get dark easily. 1/2 a recipe is good for a complete 6 carb snack/meal for me.
TrillumHunter Enthusiast

This looks great! I'll be trying this soon.

Pot stickers were one of my favorites before being diagnosed. I never thought of just doing them without the skin. :blink:

missy'smom Collaborator

Ken, I ended upon this grain-free, low-carb diet before I had the chance to try the millets. I imagine, I would have liked them. I had just purchased some buckwheat groats and started to experiment with them when I got my DX. I have been giving away some grains that I had purchased and others are in the freezer and I'm trying to sneak them into kiddo's food to use them up! My DH doesn't like whole grains, he's a white rice guy all the way. I do have a bottle of millet "soy" sauce that we brought back from Japan last time. Haven't opened it yet. We're still making our way through a few other sauces first.

I had another thought about the salt in this recipe too. I omitted the sugar and that upsets the balance of salt as well. Just my mental notes to myself as I adjust some of these recipes.

BG's been running nice and low lately so I am going to try kabocha and see if I can add that to my diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

I have a millet shoyu here too but started using the sorghum one first --

After going to a natruopathic ( SP?) doctor before I left and getting these supplements from her I am 100000% better.

blood sugar is under control -- no DH -- no pains -- no heart truoble although still somewhat irregular beat.

Yesterday I worked in the field and was tired from work and not from sick for the first time in ages.

So what I get from that is as a celiac and diabetic ( something i know you relate too) we need much more supplements and vitamins and micronutrients -- I started thinking of my body as the same way i would my rare fruit trees.

What an amzing difference when I take this stuff -- Like fertilizer for my plants -- the balance is important but too much isnt gonna kill me while too little or nothing might.

Anyway -- recipe is taped on the fridge and on top of the list...

take care

Ken, I ended upon this grain-free, low-carb diet before I had the chance to try the millets. I imagine, I would have liked them. I had just purchased some buckwheat groats and started to experiment with them when I got my DX. I have been giving away some grains that I had purchased and others are in the freezer and I'm trying to sneak them into kiddo's food to use them up! My DH doesn't like whole grains, he's a white rice guy all the way. I do have a bottle of millet "soy" sauce that we brought back from Japan last time. Haven't opened it yet. We're still making our way through a few other sauces first.

I had another thought about the salt in this recipe too. I omitted the sugar and that upsets the balance of salt as well. Just my mental notes to myself as I adjust some of these recipes.

BG's been running nice and low lately so I am going to try kabocha and see if I can add that to my diet.

kenlove Rising Star

I have a millet shoyu here too but started using the sorghum one first --

After going to a natruopathic ( SP?) doctor before I left and getting these supplements from her I am 100000% better.

blood sugar is under control -- no DH -- no pains -- no heart truoble although still somewhat irregular beat.

Yesterday I worked in the field and was tired from work and not from sick for the first time in ages.

So what I get from that is as a celiac and diabetic ( something i know you relate too) we need much more supplements and vitamins and micronutrients -- I started thinking of my body as the same way i would my rare fruit trees.

What an amzing difference when I take this stuff -- Like fertilizer for my plants -- the balance is important but too much isnt gonna kill me while too little or nothing might.

Anyway -- recipe is taped on the fridge and on top of the list...

take care

Frances03 Enthusiast

I love the video! How cute!! Thanks for sharing this, I am definitely going to try them!

Archived