Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
roddi added a topic in Celiac Disease - Post Diagnosis, Recovery/Treatment(s)Mornings.. Do U Get Sickhello,
im wondering how mornings are for you guys?
I started getting "ill" in the mornings a year or so ago.. i felt i had to rush to go to the washroom once 'gravity hit' and i got standing up..
since going gluten-free, i still am in the washroom in the mornings, but its not as bad.
i'd like to know if anyone shares this experience..
- 9 replies
- 1,498 views
roddi added a topic in Celiac Disease - Coping WithInpute Required: Time To RecoverHey everyone, I am curious as to your thoughts/knowledge on this.
When you ingest gluten, and you do damage to your intestines... let's say we rate this on a scale of 1-10
10 being you're at your best
1 being horrible feeling
say i ingest gluten, .. and i feel like a #4.. the next few days, i assume i work up from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 etc?
Meaning.. if i was feeling tip top for 2 weeks, ate gluten... will i feel horrible for days?
I ate this darn Stagg Classic Chili .. it said no gluten.. ive been ill for 3 days off and on.. the week before life was FABULOUS.. so im wondering.. gee, do i have to do that road to recovery again where i slowly take time to heal and get back to normal..
- 16 replies
- 6,696 views
roddi added a topic in Celiac Disease - Friends and Loved Ones of CeliacsHow Do You Make Then Understand What It Is!Hi there,
I am getting a bit frustrated at going to relatives homes and friend's places and then not being able to eat their food. Tis life, so be it. As of late, i've been a pro on what i can and cannot eat. Generally I'll dine on my time before going out, and often will say 'i won't eat with you as i have special dietary needs'
Coming from a big italian family etc, often people look at me funny when i say 'i cannot eat this' or etc etc .. and it's annoying the heck out of me, when people make ignorant comments like 'oh he's allergic' or 'he's fussy' ..
I was a bit annoyed this evening when i went out for dinner with relatives, who told me what was in the potatoes, and they made steak for us all, ..well, they marinated the steak with something with hydrolyzed wheat protein, anyhow, i was a bit ill after.. but here's the thing..
It's a bit embarassing excusing myself to use their 'upstairs' washroom etc, .. and people always ask what's wrong, and .. i'm not on a mission to educate people, but it bugs me when people downplay this.. because of their ignorance, and since they can eat whatsoever they wish, they assume i can as well.
I used an example from the newsgroup and told a relative, .. eating gluten is very toxic for me.. ..it's not like an allergy, .. it's very severe.. and they looked at me as if i was mentally retarded.. as if something such as this can cause such a reaction .. (unlike peanuts)
I would like some advice on how to cope with this issue.
- 62 replies
- 8,131 views
roddi added a topic in Celiac Disease - Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & SymptomsTop Celiac Supplements!Hi everyone. newbie here again.
I've been enjoying reading all your messages.
Some questions.. if you had to put together a top 5 list of things you would recommend to a newbie, what would they be... food, or supplements..
here is my top 1
1. L-glutamine. This stuff, i used 2 take when into bodybuilding, and not only does it heal the intestinal track, it boosts the immune system.. i know from years of experience, it helps my digestive system.. and hundreds of research avail will support it
2. Omega-3's .. when i assumedi just had IBS, i took a product called "Omega+fit" by greenpluscanada.ca or .com or .org
it has normal epa and dha in it, plus GLA. A well known product for reducing inflammation.. exceptional supplement to take.
3. Book - healing the angry gut. This is an amazing read for those who want to truly understand the impact of food to the digestive system
4. Acidophilus.. i take it, never sure WHEN i need to replenish lost flora... i hope someone can add to this.
5. fibre ..
(and 6.. ..an answer to .. why do i get damn sick eating mcdonalds food and popcorn!!!)
- 1 reply
- 1,095 views
roddi added a topic in Celiac Disease - Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & SymptomsWhat Exactly Do The Symptoms Mean?Hey everyone. I got some tests done, blood work, doc says, everything normal.
I went completely gluten-free, been feeling much much better..
here are some important questions i have been unable to answer, your help would be appreciated
1. many people say diarrhea is common for those with celiac disease. Now, being lactose intolerant, i know if i ingest lactose, i often head for the washroom within a short period of time. With celiac disease, is it the same, or is it, that one generally can go more often etc.. and have ibs symptoms, i.e. incomplete movements etc
2. pasta would always make me sick, ..running to the washroom eventually, yet, sometimes, most breads dont.. i can eat 10 buns in a row and be fine..
why is this? this confuses the hell out of me..
going gluten-free, i have less morning sickness.. i would always feel the urge to go to the washroom right in the morning.. is this common
3. healing process. one goes gluten-free.. sure, ive noticed improvements.. is there a common standard for the time it takes to see improvement, is 2 weeks to early..is 2 months too long etc. i understand it varies.. im just curious.
Has anyone seen progressive improvement over months, how so, i'd like to know
they thought it was ibs.. then had an ulcer.. im 29, had these probs since.. 21 or so.. more prevalent every year.
thanks for your time, your posts have really helped me.
- 7 replies
- 1,779 views