Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
jt321 added a topic in Dermatitis HerpetiformisIs This DH? (large Pic)
- Had rash when a baby, doctor thought I had an egg allergy but later retracted this, no other rashes that I'm aware of until 11ish, I'm 22 now.
- Had stomach aches that started around 11, diagnosed with IBS
- Around 11 as well started getting "scalp acne", mainly the scalp blackhead/folliculitis/keratin plugs that a lot of people post about here
- Found out about Celiac a few years ago, I'm Irish and Scottish so I really thought I had it. Literally have every main symptom of this disease
- Got blood work done twice, negative
- Had endoscopy done, negative
- I've tried variations of a gluten-free diet because I lift weights, and every time I do I feel AWESOME, it's just so hard to stay on the diet. My skin clears up, no more diarrhea/stomach aches/and I just feel better.
- Had Enterolab test done that says I have gluten intolerance, "28" for the antigliadin in stool, and minor lactose intolerance, "11"
- Few weeks ago started tracking each food I eat again because I found out my sister has the same blackhead things I get, so I thought maybe I do have Celiac afterall (genetic)
- The only foods currently affecting me are Wendys Chili (sometimes), Wendy's croutons or Wendy's saltines
- If I eat just foods I KNOW are safe, I never get stomach aches and my skin looks perfect
- Here's where the problem comes in....
- I tested myself by adding some gluten back into my diet after being off of it for awhile (the wendys croutons and 4 saltine crackers, I ate them this morning)
- Within an hour or so of eating the croutons and crackers, I got itchy skin, bloated, then really foul smelling diarrhea that I usually get when I have a stomach ache that wasn't a lot of volume, it almost seemed like just the small amount of croutons and crackers i ate had come out
- I noticed the rash on my stomach was starting to get a little bigger after eating the crackers...so I figured hey that rash must be DH and I got diarrhea, I definitely have Celiac then right?
- Well, I wanted to confirm this for sure so I went to the store and boat a loaf of bread. I ate 6 pieces of bread and 2 hours and 30 minutes have gone by now and I haven't had a stomach ache yet? I haven't had any bowel movement at all yet. I'm not going to eat anything at all until my next bowel movement comes and MAKE SURE I don't have diarrhea. This is getting ridiculous for me. I don't even feel itchy or anything. Just a little bloated and distended stomach, but I've had that for years. (I'm 6' about 180 lbs and have always looked fat/bloated no matter how low my body fat was, lowest 10% or so)
- Is there any of you guys that sometimes eat wheat and don't get symptoms, but other times you eat it and do?
- The only other thing I can think of is trying the wendys saltines and croutons by themselves tomorrow when i wake up, and see if i get sick. maybe im intolerant to the sunflower oil/canola oil/soybean oil and not gluten after all?
- I'm attaching the picture of the thing on my stomach that looks like DH. It is directly over my rib and this "scarred area" has looked like this since I was 11. The little bumps just keep going away and coming back or staying there permanently small, and sometimes growing larger, then back smaller again. It's never been 100% gone since I've gotten it. Never had it biopsied, but had pimple-like thing biopsied on my neck that the dermatologist said wasn't DH.
- It looks somewhat like this, with bigger DH blisters around it: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1123533-overview
- Each of the little "spots" you see, is actually a keratin plug like in keratosis pilaris, i can sometimes pop the plug out, but it is extremely hard on this skin right on my stomach. i get them elsewhere (neck,chest,scalp,face) and i can pop them easier.
- All my skin issues mostly go away on a gluten-free diet, but I've never stayed on it longer than 2 weeks
- What do you think about the picture? DH or not?
- My mom/sisters have chronic migraines and my dad just got diagnosed with Parkinsons, I have his doc testing him for Celiac now incase he just has gluten ataxia (he gets stomach aches like me too, but never talks about them, he doesn't believe he has any issue with Celiac, even though he told me he use to get recurring carbuncles, I'm thinking they were just infected versions of the blackhead things I get now whenever I get "glutened"/whatever is causing my problems
- I'm probably going to get a pill cam done, i just don't have medical insurance so that's why i haven't done it yet
- My last gastroentologist said with me having diarrhea since I was 11, I either have Celiac or Crohns, but I didn't want to do the colonscopy since he said I had one or the other. He did the endoscopy and said I had no problems, but I don't think he looked everywhere he was supposed to, which is why I want to get the pill cam)
- 6 replies
- 8,378 views