1. sex: F
2. age: 15
3. ethnic group: Caucasian
4. age at which you were diagnosed: 15 months
5. How did you feel when you were diagnosed? Can't remember I was a baby
6. Did you have health problems in childhood? No, not after I was diagnosed.
7. How well do you maintain a gluten-free diet? I never go off the diet.
X I absolutely never eat gluten
__ I very rarely eat gluten that I know of
__ I try not to eat gluten but I sometimes cheat or don't know
__ I don't maintain a gluten-free diet as well as I should
__ I don't maintain a gluten-free diet at all
8. What are some of the main difficulties you face in maintaining a gluten-free diet?
X Price of gluten-free food
__ Availability of gluten-free food
__ Taste of gluten-free food
__ Preparation of gluten-free food
X Public awareness of gluten intolerance/celiac disease
__ Knowing and understanding what foods you can and cannot eat
__ Reading and memorizing labeling on foods
__ Dining out
9. What type of symptoms do you face when gluten is ingested?
__ mouth ulcers
10. How comfortable are you eating in restaurants or public situations?
__ Very comfortable: I have no problem at all
X Comfortable: It's not too much of a problem or embarassment for me
__Slightly uncomfortable: I sometimes feel it a hassle or embarassing to ask about or identify gluten-free food
__Uncomfortable: I often feel it a hassle or embarassing to ask about or identify gluten-free food
__ Very uncomfortable: I avoid dining in public situations if at all possible
__It is often/always a hassle, but it's a hassle I've become comfortable with.
11. If you ever do feel uncomfortable, where and why exactly does this usually happen?
12. How do you deal with situations in which you must dine out?
__ Don't eat
X Only eat what you know or can assume is gluten free
__ Eat what they have out of politeness, even if it may contain gluten
__ Ask for a gluten free dish
13. In most restaurants, do you find that waiters/waitresses/managers/cooks are aware and accomodating to gluten free requests?
14. If a device were available that allowed you to test you food for gluten in public situations, would you use it? YES
15. What are some features it would need or you would like it to have? (for example: size, accuracy, speed, etc.) all of the above
16. What aspects might make you refrain from using it? I suppose if it was too big/too costly per use
17. About how much would you be willing to spend on a device like this? Depends on the accuracy and how portable it was, but if it worked I would deff. consider any price.
18. Would you be willing to participate in later product testing and further interviewing as this project develops? Yes