Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
katrina500 added a topic in Celiac Disease - Post Diagnosis, Recovery/Treatment(s)B12 Limit QuestionHello, my earlier post explained that I had accidentally had gluten about a week ago. My symptoms are also telling me that my B12 is also low.
My blood tests always come back as normal but just within the normal range. I also drink too much alcohol about three or four nights of the week and I know that, coupled with celiac disease, hinders absorption. My Doctor won't give me B12 injections because of my blood results.
I have B12 supplements which are 1,000 mcg per tablet. Do you think it would be okay if I took 3 or 4 of these a day? It recommends one on the packet. I haven't taken them for about 5 months.
Thank you. 😴
- 5 replies
- 800 views
katrina500 added a topic in Celiac Disease - Post Diagnosis, Recovery/Treatment(s)Accidental Gluten IntakeI've been gluten free for two years. I accidentally had some about a week ago and am feeling tired, headaches, leg weakness, tinnitus etc. How long does anyone think it will take to leave my system and any tips on how to get rid of it quicker?
- 3 replies
- 1,174 views
katrina500 added a topic in Celiac Disease - Post Diagnosis, Recovery/Treatment(s)B12 ConfusionHello, I've been gluten free for around 12 months after an endoscopy and blood test. My initial symptoms were never gastro, but dizziness, fatigue and headaches. Those symptoms now come and go still (apart from the headaches which have happily gone for good it seems).
However, I still get very debilitating fatigue. My B12 levels have always come back as okay, apart from a couple of times when they had to retest. I take B12 supplements, though I'm quite a big social drinker as well and after a heavy night on the tiles, the B12 levels go down and I feel dizzy again for some weeks.
My questions are this:
1. Event when my B12 levels are said to be okay by my GP, should I still insist on B12 injections as I understand there is no toxicity level with this vitamin and you can't have too much of it.
2. When my B12 levels are low (no doubt as a result of too much drinking), how long does it take to get them back up by taking supplements? The supplements I take are 1,000% of RDA and I take two, though today I took four.
Thank you so much, look forward to any insight.
- 7 replies
- 977 views
katrina500 added a topic in Celiac Disease - Post Diagnosis, Recovery/Treatment(s)Scared - How Long Does It Take To Feel Okay?Hello everyone
I was diagnosed by blood test and then by biopsy in October 2010. I have been gluten free since then and made a few mistakes, but can say since at least February 2011, even cross contamination would be hard, I am exceptionally careful. I continue to have the following problems:
1. Exceptional, exceptional fatigue to the point of collapse and can barely walk up the road sometimes.
2. Pains in my calves
3. Difficulty walking as a result of the fatigue and my feet drag on the floor.
4. Tingling at the back of my head
5. Dizziness (turning to vertigo sometimes).
6. Symptoms all made worse by physical activity.
7. A sort of weird collapsy think I get sometimes (though I don't collapse), but it's like the brain fog is so bad it's going to burst out of my head.
Strangely enough, in February, I felt fabulous and then all the above symptoms came back again, out of nowhere.
My B12 levels etc are all good. I had my biopsy repeated yesterday and whilst I don't have the formal results yet, the Doctor said everything was "looking fine and nice and healthy".
I do drink a bit too much (the initial symptoms leading to the diagnosis of Celiac Disease came after a few days of heavy drinking). I smoke too. I have a very stressful job.
Can my symptoms STILL be as a result of my diagnosis and if so, why did I feel great in February? Can this still be as a result of being glutened for years (assuming it was years)? How long will it take to go away and why do I still feel like this if my endoscopy said my insides looked good?
I really am feeling so desperate and tearful. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this for and in my darkest days I wish I could just die in my sleep.
Please help me.
- 19 replies
- 3,023 views