Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
JT09 added a topic in Other Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut IssuesDairy Intolerance - When And What Dairy Have You Successfully Added Back In?Ive recently been diagnosed Celiac. A gluten free diet made me feel about 75% better (was still experiencing diarrhea and gas) but I have come to realize that a gluten and dairy free diet has made me feel 100% better
Heres my question... I have a friend who was diagnosed Celiac as a kid and says she is gluten free and dairy free but can tolerate goat yogurt and cheese... I would love to be able to eventually add a few things back into my sadly scarce diet but Im unsure of when to try (my gut definitely needs healing time - Im even having a hard time digesting apples at the moment) and was wondering how many of you are able to tolerate goat yogurt and cheese or anything else for that matter. Ive been told hard cheeses like cheddar are typically easier to digest as well? Any thoughts?
- 3 replies
- 896 views
JT09 added a topic in Celiac Disease - DoctorsSeattle DocI was hoping someone could suggest a good MD and/or ND in the Seattle/Bellevue area... or just Washington State!
I have not been officially diagnosed with Celiac but I would be willing to bet my right arm I have it and just need a good doc that will work with me.
I had a pretty bad experience with Eastside Gastro in Kirkland, so Im not really looking to go back there - short version of the story is my doc at the time mis heard, and incorrectly documented my symptoms I told him I was having so he insisted I only needed a colonoscopy and not an endoscopy - at the time I had not done much looking into all of this so I trusted he knew what he was doing. Needless to say as both a patient and an RN I am totally not impressed.
Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated!
- 4 replies
- 905 views
JT09 added a topic in Celiac Disease - Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & SymptomsCould These Symptoms Be Celiac?I will attempt to keep this brief but I would love some input from my fellow sufferers
For about a year not I have had all the classic symptoms of celiac
- Constipation (only when I dont have diarrhea)
- Terrible rumbling noises in my stomach
- Mouth sores and recently the insides of my cheeks started peeling off (I switched to Sensodyne toothpaste and this seems to have fixed that problem- but I had been using Crest for like my whole life with no problems until recently)
- Abdominal pain, especially in the mornings - this is sometimes relieved a bit after going to the bathroom but not always
- Frequent episodes of getting hot, chills and almost passing out (especially early in the morning)
- Recently my stools have been floating and have mucous (gross even for me to admit and im a nurse)
- Frequent itchy skin
-Menstrual period that was MIA for like 4 months (and no I was not with-child)
- Platelet and WBC counts that have been falling over the last few years
- At one point my eosinophils were off the chart, but have since come back down - no reason why for either
However I have had some not to classic symptoms and I am curious if anyone with Celiac has had problems with other foods besides gluten, especially before getting the disease under control... I have found that dairy totally bloats me (and I know this is common pre diagnosis) but I sometimes have issues with beans and coffee and sometimes get symptoms when I dont even eat any dairy, gluten or beans... before going on a strict gluten free diet is it common for other foods to trigger symptoms?
I have had the celiac antibody test done (it came back negative but I had only been eating very tiny amounts of gluten if any for 3 weeks prior to that), had the wonderful colonoscopy which was negative, no recent endoscopy b/c my GI doc thought there was no point with a negative celiac antibody test (this was before I knew much about this stuff, have had a negative SIBO test, no bugs found in my poo and to be honest I may have had a few other tests done and forgot about them. In the end I got an antispasmotic from my GI (that constipates the heck out of me) and a diagnosis of IBS...
I have added gluten and dairy back into my diet (been miserable) and just got my blood drawn today for a CBC and celiac antibody to check platelets and WBC's. I asked my doc to thrown another celiac antibody test in there just for fun.. so we will see in a few days.
After all this ranting, heres my questions for you experts out there:
- Anyone have a story similar to this? If so what have you figured out thus far?
- If my celiac panel comes back negative (Im not sure what he ordered since I didnt talk to him - I just went to the lab) What else would you guys reccommend getting drawn before I go completely gluten free? Or doing for that matter?
Thanks for taking the time to read my sob story!!
Much love fellow bathroom dwellers
- 6 replies
- 880 views