Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
DawnMarie213 added a topic in Celiac Disease - Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptomsgluten-free Diet Trial. Results May Confirm Self-Diagnosis?Hi everyone!
I decided to start a gluten-free trial diet after doing some research online one day. I stumbled across this checklist from the Dr. Oz show:
Frequent bloating or gas
Diagnosed with IBS or acid reflux
Daily diarrhea or chronic constipation
Neurologic & Skeletal Symptoms
Migraine or headaches
Joint pains or aches
Hormonal & Immune Symptoms
Depression or anxiety
Chronic eczema or acne
And sure enough, I have every single one of these and have been treated by a doc for most of them. Long story short, I decided to do a gluten-free trial for a few weeks to see how I felt. I'm not sure if my results from it are common for those who have Celiac/GI and just wanted some feedback from people who have experienced it for themselves.
It's been 2 1/2 weeks since I started. My diet has included more whole-foods instead of the overly processed gluten-free food. (I've been eating brown rice, salmon, green veggies, Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, etc.)
- Starting from day 3 I noticed that I had considerable amounts of energy and my stomach felt strangely "calm".
- I've struggled with depression and anxiety and no medication ever worked. Since starting, both of those things are gone and I feel much more upbeat and happy. My ADHD has also improved.
- I've always been underweight and have struggled to put on weight, but I've gained around 5 pounds since I started the diet even though I've been eating the same amount that I normally would.
- The tightness in my back and joints that I'd feel at the end of the day is gone.
- My skin is incredibly softer and much less itchy and dry than it used to be. A huge improvement. My complexion looks clearer and smoother.
- My appetite has increased. I used to have to force myself to eat but now I'm actually hungry and enjoy food more.
- I no longer feel like I ate a bunch of rocks every time I have a meal.
- My chronic sinus congestion and post-nasal drip has almost completely gone away.
- No more having classic IBS attacks after I eat something where I need to run to the bathroom or have pains.
- Not a single headache or migraine. (I used to have them at least 1-2 times a week.)
No one in my family has been diagnosed, but no one has been tested. However, my mother and my sister both suffer from suspicious symptoms that may indicate that they may have it. I haven't been tested just because I don't have the money.
Did anyone else experience these improvements when they went gluten-free? I'm guessing I have some intolerance or celiac disease after this, but I'd love to hear from people who've walked in these shoes before me.
- 2 replies
- 3,844 views