Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts
loca added a topic in Celiac Disease - Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & SymptomsVomiting, Unable To Process FoodsHello I've been sick since November 2002. Up to that point, I was a somewhat healthy 18 year old girl, active in school and work and whatnot. Anyway, I have always had an intolerance to wheat gluten, and was ok avoiding it until then. In November 2002, however, one of my younger brothers died and since that day, nothing has been staying in me, really. It started out with cereal and milk. I would end up throwing them up. After that, it was basically everything else, but especially processed foods, sugars (except for honey & pure maple syrup) and anything with animal fats in them. I have been to many doctors hundreds of times in the past year plus, with no help. I lost about 20 lbs. in the two weeks following his death. Most doctors brushed it off as grief and told me to see a counselor. I do, and as much as my brother's death saddens me, I've moved on. I've lost a sister, many friends and I've gotten used to death. Other doctors checked for so many other things: lupus (which was the diagnosis based on the ANA levels and some symptoms for quite a while, until my ANA levels were normal again), pancreatitis, gosh I don't even remember most of it!!!
Anyway, my doctor called me a couple days ago after she read an article in some magazine about Celiac and she wanted me to come in to test me again. I really am sick of the tests and my arm looks like a junkie's arm from so many needle pokes. Before I waste the time (and money!!) to go in and be tested, I wanted to come here and see if my symptoms were like anyone else's or if this is just another hope-its-finally-a-diagnosis.
My main symptoms are:
- Vomiting and diarrhea after eating almost anything but fruits, vegetables and unprocessed foods
- Extreme bloating
- My belly looks fat after I eat some things... I go from a size 3 to a size 10 in a matter of minutes, just with my belly, nothing else.
- I don't gain weight no matter what I do
- I'm always tired, to the point where I sleep 12-18 hours a day (and still sleepy after that!)
- Headaches and trouble concentrating
- Feeling stupid because I can never think straight (and I used to be a straight A+ college student). I feel as if I'm in a different world sometimes.
- Trouble driving because I can't always focus correctly
And during the past year, my blood tests have shown (mostly at different times; I've not had a blood test show the same results twice this whole time):
- Extremely low levels of white cells
- Low hemacrit
- Low red cells
- High RDW (whatever that is)
- Low platelet count
- Extremely low Neutrophils and Lymphocytes (whatever they are too)
- High & low ANA levels
Sorry for the long post, but if any of you have the same symptoms or know that these are symptoms for Celiac, please let me know. I don't want more tests, but I don't want to be sick anymore either!
- 5 replies
- 1,979 views