14 replies to this topic

#1 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

:(
I had that flu that's been going around. It caused me (I think) to feel like I had motion sickness for a few weeks and the my stomach was a bit off for a week or so. Now I have been getting stomach pain in the mornings that feel just like I was glutened and I think I've traced it back to a ground coffee we use (President's Choice from Superstore). I seem to be okay with instant coffee. My problem is that I'm not sure if this is still the flu messing with me, or a new sensitivity, or I am somehow being glutened with my morning coffee (I REALLY doubt that's it)

Coffee has always been a bit hard on my gut but that was part of the reaon I liked it. Due to celiac and hypothyroidism, my gut was, ahem, "slow" so coffee was a way to get it going in the morning. I am still "slower" than average so coffee remains a help.

Anyone else have a problem with brewed coffee? If so, please tell me it passed! LOL I doubt gluten got in the coffee unless they grind it at the same place they do flours or oats... pretty unlikely. I'm hoping this is because of the flu I had, or the coffee we use has changed, and not a new permanent problem....

I'm trying to cut down on my coffee intake... maybe this is the fates' way of hurrying me along! LOL :rolleyes:
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

... I was just thinking that I probably should have posted this somewhere else... This is my brain on less coffee! EEK. LOL :rolleyes:
Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I actuality quit drinking coffee and tea about a month before my elimination diet :ph34r: super scary I know :wacko: . It took me that whole month to get over the headaches . I wanted my head / body clear of the coffee before I started my elimination diet.I did not drink coffee AT ALL during my elimination diet :o That was a very very long 6 months with out any coffee or tea.

I have since added it back :D,,, I :wub: me a good cup of coffee.

Coffee ( as with all things) is an individual thing, if you think it is bothering you, stop drinking it . Then give your self some time to heal before you try reintroducing it .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 sharese28

sharese28

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

I have had bad reactions to coffee since going gluten free is there a chance i can reintroduce it into my diet at a later time

newly diagnosed celiac disease

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Coffee acts as a laxative sort to speak. It can also be very hard on a healing gut. There is a chance that it can be reintroduced, but i wouldn't bet on it too much.

I quit tea and soda right after my dx and i haven't looked back since.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

I lost  coffee and dairy, citrus, soy and about 10 other foods for a few years before and a whole year after DX because the caffeine really agitated me and my GI tract was a burning mess from mouth to rectum.  I had GERD, IBS, etc. etc..and felt like death would be kinder.

Anything can give you grief when your gut is still damaged.

Now, I drink brewed decaf coffee with half and half every morning and orange juice with no problems whatsoever.

Never say never. ;) Things can change.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

I have had to give up sooooooooooooo very many foods that some one ,some where must have decided I would break  :ph34r:  if I lost coffee permanently.

Coffee , dairy and eggs are 3  foods I have been able to add back ( can I get a hellaluya !! :D )

I :wub: a good cup of coffee :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hooray to getting foods back and I :wub: me a good cup o' joe, too! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I've had to pass on the coffee for a few months now, in order to prevent cold sore outbreaks.

It doesn't bother my stomach at all anymore, though it used to. In fact, coffee in the AM is less

upsetting than tea, to my actual stomach, sometimes tea makes me a little nauseous. I can't

even begin to tell you how INCREDIBLY frustrating it is to not have coffee, cuz I lurves it

sooooooooooo much. But, we do what we gotta do!

To the OP, coffee did used to give my lower GI tract a hard time. Over the past two years, I've

been able to enjoy it with no GI distress whatsoever. If you do lose coffee for now, don't lose

hope!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#10 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think (or should I say hope - lol) that it was something else. I was eating some chocolates that were not made on a gluten-free line. They had barley malt cc. It was enough to give me stomach upset, bloating, and a general feeling of unwellness but because I did not get my old gluten stomach pain, it took equity a while to figure it out... That is why one should not savour chocolates over a few weeks but should eat it all at once.... After checking the labels better! Lol
Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#11 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Are you sure it's just the coffee or caffeine in the coffee?

I've been totally caffeine free since 2010 and it helped with a lot of my IBS symptoms (colon spasms), but it's also gotten to the point where "decaffeinated" drinks can set me off because of the traces of caffeine. 

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

#12 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Coffee has bothered my stomach before and after going gluten free. It's not the caffeine (other sources of caffeine are fine), but other substances in the coffee. It's definately become worse as I get older.

#13 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

It is coffee that rumbles my belly. Tea and colas don't do it to me.  I'm fine with that though; my morning coffee gets my gut going better than fibre supplements ever could.  LOL 

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#14 jamer

jamer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hmmm...I was extremely lactose intolerant as a baby/toddler but seemed to have out grown it. Until several maybe even ten years ago. I can eat egss and things baked with dairy, no probem. If I have more than one glass of 2% milk or ice cream...I'm get the runs. :unsure: The lower the milk fat, the easier I can tolerate it...I do even better on organic milk. I was recently pregnant ( had a miscarriage last week) and noticed as I did with my first two pregnancies...I can handle milk and ice cream like it's no one's business. I was drinking almost a gallon a day and gluten free chex was my go to food. Wonder what that is all about. 

I can also drink coffee, although keeing that to a minimun, acidic foods haven't been a problem since going gluten-free. My GI doc thinks we just caught the celiac disease in its beginng stages. I havent' had symptoms for more than a year, two at most. I have an excellent primary doc who automatically ran a blood test when I came in complaining of severe relux, nausea, and fatigue. He's a godsend

Sorry for getting off topic. I'm just kinda curious how some with celiac disease can handle dairy, soy , citrus...etc and some can't. Does it have something to do with how long the celiac disease has been untreated or undiagnosed?

*Biopsy diagnosed Celiac Disease 1/2013

*Gluten Free since January 20, 2013

#15 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Sorry for getting off topic. I'm just kinda curious how some with celiac disease can handle dairy, soy , citrus...etc and some can't. Does it have something to do with how long the celiac disease has been untreated or undiagnosed?

I know I'm lactose intolerant and have been for at least 10 years. I would still eat dairy like  icecream and cottage cheese, and I would just ignore the stomach aches because I had them so often anyways.  LOL   :rolleyes: I honestly don't know how long dairy has bothered me; I wasn't too observant about my diet in the past. It could be since childhood (I'm sure I've had celiac since then).

Everyone responds so differently with this disease. For example, I did not have a single nutrient deficiency and my B12 actually exceeded the normal range... There almost seems to be no normal. :huh:

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: