This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

susieL.17

susieL.17 Newbie

I have bouts of depression that come and go quite frequently. During these times I feel hopeless, fatigued, foggy-minded, empty, and just sad. A lot of times it is for no reason whatsoever. And I wrack my brain for a reason to feel so blue and heavy-hearted, but I can't find one. I just feel sad and empty.

I am frequently nervous, and suffer frequent anxiety, although I have learned to control my anxious thoughts alot better than I have in the past. However, almost daily, little incidents or random situations cause my heart to race, beating for what feels to be a thousand times a minute. Sometimes my racing heart is almost unbearable. A lot of the time, I am a nervous wreck, and cannot think straight, relax, or feel comfortable. I always fidget, nervously babble on about nothing in particular, or close myself off from others to cope with feeling nervous.

I over analyze everything and have self esteem issues.

I am always, always, always hungry, and the things that I eat rarely seem to curb my hunger.

Many times during the week, I am exhausted, and all I want is sleep and quiet, even though I am getting 8 + hours of sleep a night.

These symptoms come in waves of intensity. Some weeks I feel light and happy, and other weeks I end up crying every night for no reason at all and feeling blue.

I have Celiacs Disease, but follow a strict gluten free diet to the best of my ability. I try to avoid refined sugars and processed foods as well. I really try hard to have a healthy, gluten free diet.

I have a family history of thyroid problems; my aunt has Graves Disease and my mother has Hashimotos. On and off, I have always seemed to struggle with depressions and anxiety. I have read about the links of thyroid imbalances and depression. I have been informed by others on this forum that your thyroid can lead to depression. Do you think that I have a thyroid problem, along with my Celiacs Disease? What do I do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You get tested for the presence of thyroid antibodies.

Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Celiac indicates regular testing for thyroid disease, a family history increases your risk.

Yes, please get tested. I do understand the ups and downs it can cause. When I was dx'ed with Hashis I was in a pretty dark place. The meds help me tremendously.

Please insist your doctor performs a thorough screening - for Hashis and Graves as well as tsh, reverse t3, free t3/t4. Get copies of your results.

Archived