42 replies to this topic

#1 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

We have been out and about a lot lately and I'm finding it hard to find things to eat while we are on the road. I would like some things to keep in my purse. I'm not finding any tasty affordable protein bars, any suggestions?? Also, what else do you keep with you? I don't like being stuck with nothing to eat. I am still to scared to eat at restaurants yet so I really just want to be prepared!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

You could always take a cooler with ya and throw some lunch meat, cheese, and other goodies in it.

#3 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I just started trying to figure out how I am going to go on a trip I was planning to Israel in June. I started looking for food I could keep with me in a backpack. I found individual pouches of tuna, pouches of almond butter and crackers. it's a start. also, kind bars are good to keep with you.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

If you're just looking for handy things to have around for all the time, my go to things were Larabar, Kind bars, and Trio bars before I had to go nut free. Larabar has nut bars too which are pretty good. I still keep them around because on the days that we have outings I make my husband stay gluten free for the day but we have to carry snacks for him.

Being gone for more than a day takes a lot more planning and taking a cooler is probably the best idea. It isn't something I've done yet, but I am planning a trip in May and will not be leaving home without a cooler and plenty of things safe for me to eat. I'll also plan out stops where I can go to a grocery store rather than a convenient store to shop for fruit which won't travel quite as well. I'm sure I'll also have to pack a small traveling kitchen also.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Dutchgirl, you might want to look into some recipes made with almond butter and peanut
butter, like on Elana's pantry website. There's other places where you can find recipes
using nut butters as well. They freeze well, they're tasty, and high protein, with no icky
ingredients found in a lot of package stuff.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Also Lara bars, rice cakes, nuts, dried fruit (I love apricots and that extra burst of potassium comes in handy)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Now we can't take knives on planes I have ended up with a collection of really useful knives bought in supermarkets where we've stopped for lunch :) - I always try to buy a type of knife I don't have already. Then it's bring on the cheese, the fruit, the lettuce, the crackers, slice some ham (and some toms for hubs). I always have some paper plates and napkins in carryon and have a picnic set of salt/pepper and one of those disposable plastic cutting boards. Gluten free mustard scrounged from fast foods (hubs does this coz I don't go there) and off to the park for a big picnic :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#8 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

You could always take a cooler with ya and throw some lunch meat, cheese, and other goodies in it.

Great suggestion, I'm definitely doing this!! I will just have to get in the habit of packing the cooler and bringing it with me whenever I am going to leave for more than a couple of hours!

#9 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I just started trying to figure out how I am going to go on a trip I was planning to Israel in June. I started looking for food I could keep with me in a backpack. I found individual pouches of tuna, pouches of almond butter and crackers. it's a start. also, kind bars are good to keep with you.

I will have to look for the pouches! Where do you find almond butter pouches?

#10 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

If you're just looking for handy things to have around for all the time, my go to things were Larabar, Kind bars, and Trio bars before I had to go nut free. Larabar has nut bars too which are pretty good. I still keep them around because on the days that we have outings I make my husband stay gluten free for the day but we have to carry snacks for him.

Being gone for more than a day takes a lot more planning and taking a cooler is probably the best idea. It isn't something I've done yet, but I am planning a trip in May and will not be leaving home without a cooler and plenty of things safe for me to eat. I'll also plan out stops where I can go to a grocery store rather than a convenient store to shop for fruit which won't travel quite as well. I'm sure I'll also have to pack a small traveling kitchen also.

I can still have nuts so I will look into all of those! I made my own Larabars once but I don't have a good food processor, I'll have to see if I can find some to buy. They were really good!

#11 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Dutchgirl, you might want to look into some recipes made with almond butter and peanut
butter, like on Elana's pantry website. There's other places where you can find recipes
using nut butters as well. They freeze well, they're tasty, and high protein, with no icky
ingredients found in a lot of package stuff.

I will check out Elana's Pantry, thank you!! I have had ZERO luck with gluten free baking for some reason but I'm hoping my luck with change. I think I can save a lot of money if I start making things from scratch!

#12 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Now we can't take knives on planes I have ended up with a collection of really useful knives bought in supermarkets where we've stopped for lunch :) - I always try to buy a type of knife I don't have already. Then it's bring on the cheese, the fruit, the lettuce, the crackers, slice some ham (and some toms for hubs). I always have some paper plates and napkins in carryon and have a picnic set of salt/pepper and one of those disposable plastic cutting boards. Gluten free mustard scrounged from fast foods (hubs does this coz I don't go there) and off to the park for a big picnic :D

Your post made me hungry, that sounds so good!! I will have to pack some picnic supplies in our vehicle so I am more prepared.

#13 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,618 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

These are good to keep on hand. They do make non- gluten-free ones, so read them. I get them at Target and HyVee ( grocery)

http://www.gopicnic....ets/Gluten-Free

I like to keep these on my purse. I am one of the few that don't like Lara bars

http://www.natureval...rs/AlmondCrunch

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#14 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

These are good to keep on hand. They do make non- gluten-free ones, so read them. I get them at Target and HyVee ( grocery)

http://www.gopicnic....ets/Gluten-Free

I like to keep these on my purse. I am one of the few that don't like Lara bars

http://www.natureval...rs/AlmondCrunch

Thank you!! I saw the hummus/tuna and cracker packs at Meijer the other day and I was wondering if they were any good. I'll pick some up!!

#15 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hmm, some of my replies aren't showing up.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: