42 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thank you!! I saw the hummus/tuna and cracker packs at Meijer the other day and I was wondering if they were any good. I'll pick some up!!

I love the " snacking" aspect of them. You get a meal, in little snack packets. You can keep one for later or eat all the little packets now. I don't care for tuna but the hummus, sun nut butter, turkey pepperoni and the black bean ones are all good.

You can also get little squeeze packs of PB and walnut butter, etc at health food stores.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I love the " snacking" aspect of them. You get a meal, in little snack packets. You can keep one for later or eat all the little packets now. I don't care for tuna but the hummus, sun nut butter, turkey pepperoni and the black bean ones are all good.

You can also get little squeeze packs of PB and walnut butter, etc at health food stores.

I don't like tuna either but all of those others sound amazing!! I needed another excuse to get into the health food store (they make amazing home made soup and it's safe to eat!!), then I can pick up some squeeze packs!

#18 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Make some muffins or loafs ahead of time and take them. I really like coconut flour because they don't turn dry and crumbly as fast as rice flour products do. I add flax and protein powder to all my baking to give it a bit of a nutrition kick. Seeds, nut and hemp hearts all give a fat and protein boost to baked goods that will fill you up longer.

I like to bring smoothies for my kids when I travel. Again I add hemp hearts and protein powder to fruits and veggies, along with cocoa to disguise any green tint, and my kids are happy.

I like leftover egg bakes for myself. I wilt a bunch of greens, add onion and other veggies, maybe some salmon and some Daimyo (cheese substitute) and pour eggs and salsa all over it. Let it cook on the stove in a frying pan until the edges start to set and then pop it in the oven to make the eggs fluffier. A tastey leftover... especially if you don't mind cold eggs.

Junk food is fun on a road trip too.... ;)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I take hard boiled eggs. I have also taken canned meats from a natural food coop. These fill in in a pinch if I find nothing else. Getting a 12 volt oven for the car makes for an adventurous trip. I heat leftovers or cook new in mine. Atleast I did before it konked out on me last trip. I was glad that I had cooked the fish before taking it. I found out I could eat cold fish and sweet potato.

If there is somewhere you can cook an electric skillet is a great tool.

Diana

#20 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Make some muffins or loafs ahead of time and take them. I really like coconut flour because they don't turn dry and crumbly as fast as rice flour products do. I add flax and protein powder to all my baking to give it a bit of a nutrition kick. Seeds, nut and hemp hearts all give a fat and protein boost to baked goods that will fill you up longer.

I like to bring smoothies for my kids when I travel. Again I add hemp hearts and protein powder to fruits and veggies, along with cocoa to disguise any green tint, and my kids are happy.

I like leftover egg bakes for myself. I wilt a bunch of greens, add onion and other veggies, maybe some salmon and some Daimyo (cheese substitute) and pour eggs and salsa all over it. Let it cook on the stove in a frying pan until the edges start to set and then pop it in the oven to make the eggs fluffier. A tastey leftover... especially if you don't mind cold eggs.

Junk food is fun on a road trip too.... ;)

YUM! Thank you for all of the great suggestions! I love the egg ideas, I am a huge fan of eggs! I am hoping to get better at my gluten free baking but so far everything I've tried has been a flop. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong?!

#21 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I take hard boiled eggs. I have also taken canned meats from a natural food coop. These fill in in a pinch if I find nothing else. Getting a 12 volt oven for the car makes for an adventurous trip. I heat leftovers or cook new in mine. Atleast I did before it konked out on me last trip. I was glad that I had cooked the fish before taking it. I found out I could eat cold fish and sweet potato.

If there is somewhere you can cook an electric skillet is a great tool.

Diana

I would like to find a food co-op around here, I've heard great things! I never thought about hard boiled eggs, that would be easy to pack! Where did you get your 12 volt oven??

#22 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

I have a toddler, so I've gotten used to packing food everywhere I go. Really, that seems the easiest answer for me. Then I don't have to find a restaurant and wait around for food either. :)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#23 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

I have a toddler, so I've gotten used to packing food everywhere I go. Really, that seems the easiest answer for me. Then I don't have to find a restaurant and wait around for food either. :)

I'm used to packing kid food too, I guess I'll just have to get in the habit of packing a small cooler for all of us. At the very least it will safe us some money!!

#24 jordan shulak

jordan shulak

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Boost is a great meal supplement (gluten and lactose free) - I carry one and drink it if I get too busy to eat (taste better col though so leave room in your cooler for a few!)

#25 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Boost is a great meal supplement (gluten and lactose free) - I carry one and drink it if I get too busy to eat (taste better col though so leave room in your cooler for a few!)

I didn't know Boosts were gluten free. I'll pick some up, that's a great idea!

#26 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Boosts?  Never heard of them before.  Looked them up :rolleyes: :

"Green tea, guarana and ginseng with 120mg of natural caffeine." :unsure:   Don't need that kind of boost - thru the roof???

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#27 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Boosts?  Never heard of them before.  Looked them up :rolleyes: :

"Green tea, guarana and ginseng with 120mg of natural caffeine." :unsure:   Don't need that kind of boost - thru the roof???

No. I think she means Boost meal replacements. Like Ensure.

http://www.boostnutr...eal-replacement

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#28 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

No. I think she means Boost meal replacements. Like Ensure.

http://www.boostnutr...eal-replacement

Oh, that's better :)   That Jamba Juice is pretty juiced up :blink:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#29 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

I also just discovered those Go Picnic things at my Target. They're pretty good, and it's more food than you'll think when you first open the box. I sometimes take one to work if I'm in a hurry, along with a banana and some carrots or something like that.

You didn't really define what "out and about" means. For me there are several versions of that. One is that I'm out for a few hours, shopping or seeing a museum or something. For that I always take a bar of some kind -- Lara, or Glutino cereal bar -- some nuts, and some dried fruit.

For a road trip I take a cooler. Yogurt, cheese, sliced chicken breast, hummos and veggies....depends on where we're going and whether there's a refrigerator on the other end. Usually there is because I always get one at hotels.

For airplane travel this is a whole different story. The last time I went on a long flight I packed in my checked baggage: peanut butter in individual packs (Costco sells a large box of these), some Go Picnics, dried fruit, and nuts. In my carry on I had the peanut butter (in my quart-sized ziplock, along with a small toothpaste and small hand lotion which were the only other things that needed to be in there), dried fruit, nuts, a Go Picnic, hard boiled eggs, lunch meat/cheese roll-ups, fruit, and yogurt (also in the ziplock bag). I was prepared for the airline meal to be horrible and it was. :ph34r:

And for whoever mentioned the upcoming Israel trip...there's a thread over in the travel forums on this site that talks about Israel. I went there a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. I commented on that thread about my experiences. There will be plenty to eat and the hotels will be more than accommodating. (still take a few things of your own of course, especially for lunches out.)

#30 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

I also just discovered those Go Picnic things at my Target. They're pretty good, and it's more food than you'll think when you first open the box. I sometimes take one to work if I'm in a hurry, along with a banana and some carrots or something like that.

You didn't really define what "out and about" means. For me there are several versions of that. One is that I'm out for a few hours, shopping or seeing a museum or something. For that I always take a bar of some kind -- Lara, or Glutino cereal bar -- some nuts, and some dried fruit.

For a road trip I take a cooler. Yogurt, cheese, sliced chicken breast, hummos and veggies....depends on where we're going and whether there's a refrigerator on the other end. Usually there is because I always get one at hotels.

For airplane travel this is a whole different story. The last time I went on a long flight I packed in my checked baggage: peanut butter in individual packs (Costco sells a large box of these), some Go Picnics, dried fruit, and nuts. In my carry on I had the peanut butter (in my quart-sized ziplock, along with a small toothpaste and small hand lotion which were the only other things that needed to be in there), dried fruit, nuts, a Go Picnic, hard boiled eggs, lunch meat/cheese roll-ups, fruit, and yogurt (also in the ziplock bag). I was prepared for the airline meal to be horrible and it was. :ph34r:

And for whoever mentioned the upcoming Israel trip...there's a thread over in the travel forums on this site that talks about Israel. I went there a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. I commented on that thread about my experiences. There will be plenty to eat and the hotels will be more than accommodating. (still take a few things of your own of course, especially for lunches out.)

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!!

A lot of times I am gone all morning running errands and just need a few things as a pick me up. But other times we are gone for the whole day and fast food just isn't an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: