2 replies to this topic

#1 chip

chip

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

I stopped eating gluten and when I put it back into my diet this week, (I have been off my period for a week btw) my nipples got sore and my breasts enlarged, they are so swollen, I can't hug anyone without wanting to cry. I have been lactating from them (only with manual squeezing, and a lot comes out) for over 12 years and NO doctor has come up with any answers! I have what is known as gallactorea, though. Sorry for the horrible spelling.

While I incorporated gluten back in, I also brought 3 percent milk back in and I hadn't had it in forever, but, my breasts were still swollen without dairy a week before my period like clock work, per usual and yes, I was eating gluten still. Is this actually a symptom?

Other problems: My period was way too light this time, and ten days late! I don't understand this GRR! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

I had numerous tsh and prolactin tests years ago, while ttc. All normal. But immediately after childbirth went into a thyroid tailspin. I know, in retrospect, I was starting issues but it just wasn't showing up on labs.

You should ask for thyroid, prolactin, and hormone tests. Something's going on there. It's normal for periods to vary, even when you're younger...but sudden lasting changes need to be investigated.

And yes, if you have a gluten issue and go gluten-free, then add it back, your body can suffer all sorts of systemic reactions.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

If not eating it makes it go away and eating it causes it again, no matter what the symptom is, then that food is a problem for you. Also, I feel very badly for you, not that that helps anything!
If you think it's the dairy, eliminate both the gluten and dairy and then add only 1 back, not both. It does require will power and will take time, but I think it's worth it.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: