No replies to this topic

#1 Sooz

Sooz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

I've posted a couple of times before. Briefly, symptoms started in November. Went gluten-free a week later and wasn't prepared to eat gluten until I could have an endoscopy, which in Australia, in the public system, can take up to 2 years.

My problems were alleviated with a gluten-free diet, but I also discovered I can't eat any dairy, not even hard cheese, or yoghurt that seemed so soothing in the beginning of gluten-free.

I finally got the genetic testing and of the three results, all were positive. I also have Type 1 diabetes, so celiac often goes hand-in-hand. Pretty much a no brainer about what I have, but no 'official' diagnosis. I may pursue it in the future, if I want to damage my gut again, just for a diagnosis. Both my family doctor and my endocrinologist say it's obvious what it is and to stay gluten free.

Now I'm wondering about soy. Seems I can tolerate some soy... but maybe not. I'm aware that soy and corn can be a problem. 

It seems I can't eat my usual mayo that is made with soya bean oil. I'm not exactly sure if it's the eggs or the oil. I can eat eggs where the yellow isn't very cooked, but not hard-boiled eggs. In the mayo, surely the eggs are raw? I use S&W Mayo made in the USA. Does anyone know if there's some kind of cooking process to make this mayo? 

I mostly have mayo with canned tuna (packed in springwater). Surely it couldn't be the tuna, could it?

I can eat a couple of soy-based crackers ok, but I've wondered when I've eaten more, if they were responsible for ensuing gastro problems.

Yesterday afternoon, I tried a soy latte (I'm missing my decaf lattes). I was ok all yesterday (and almost jumped for joy because it was tolerable to drink), but 24 hours later, I'm having gastro symptoms. I know these will last 24-48 hours, so I'm stuck with it.

I'd gone 16 days straight (without being glutened or dairy'd) feeling fantastic with zero gastro issues! I'm only a couple of months into this, so I'm still coming across stuff I could happily eat before, but not now.  

My question is... does anyone know the difference in soy content between a couple of crackers, soya bean oil and about 3/4 glass of soy milk? What's in soy that causes the problem?

Not that I really want to eat soy, but the occasional soy latte would be nice, but not if I can't tolerate it. 

With the non-gluten "intolerances", do they do the same kind of gut damage that gluten does? If not, what kind of damage do they do, if any? 

Last question... why does a dairy intolerance rear its head when you first go gluten-free, when dairy was never a problem before? I'd have dairy every day before, but definitely not gluten every day. 

Sorry about all the questions in one post. I've been saving them up! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: