This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tea, Health And Celiac

AmandaD

AmandaD Community Regular

Hi - I've heard good things about things like green tea and black tea, full of antioxidants, cancer fighters, etc...Does anyone know anything about the benefits of tea drinking as they relate to Celiac disease (and it's herbal tea with barley malt in it that we're not supposed to drink, correct? But straight black or green is fine...?) Anyways, just wondering!!!

Amanda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Tea is good for everyone :D And yes, watch for Barley malt and also Toasted Wheat germ. Most teas are safe, there is just the odd herbal tea that isn't, so just check ingredients :rolleyes:

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I drink the Republic of Tea brand- Green Tea. I don't think it's going to help with celiac disease, but it's supposed to be good for ya anyway! I bought every brand of green tea I could find until I found the Republic brand at wholefoods. It's very mild tasting, not bitter. I think some green teas taste fishy :wacko: just gross. Of course, stay away from the barley malt.

frenchiemama Collaborator

I love tea, and drink it every day. I don't know about any celiac specific benefits though.

Are you the one who is near Madison? (sorry if I have that wrong....)

My fave tea in the whole world is Stash double bergemot Earl Grey, they have it at Woodman's. Last time I was there I bought 4 boxes because I can't find it anywhere else.

Yep - I live about 20 miles south of Madison in Evansville (we actually just moved here from Madison)...I travel up there all the time to go to Whole Foods, Woodman's etc...to shop...Where are you located??

Amanda

I love tea, and drink it every day. I don't know about any celiac specific benefits though.

Are you the one who is near Madison? (sorry if I have that wrong....)

My fave tea in the whole world is Stash double bergemot Earl Grey, they have it at Woodman's. Last time I was there I bought 4 boxes because I can't find it anywhere else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jenvan Collaborator

amanda-

i ck on the brand before i have tea. celestial seasonings is good--they mark gluten-free on their packages if it is so.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

How about plain Tetley (orange pekoe)? I give that to my son once in a while, I don't have the carton anymore so I can't check ingredients.

And since you're here, what about Carnation Hot Chocolate?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I live in the northwestern part of the state, Chippewa Falls. My dad lives in Madison though and I always stock up on the good stuff when I visit him.

bmorrow Rookie

Does anyone know if Celestial Seasonings green tea (antioxidant supplement) is gluten-free? I can't find anything on the box. It does contain natural flavors, but I don't see barley malt in the ingredients. I picked up this package by accident, I meant to get the original green tea.

Thanks!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Yep, they are healthy. White, green, and black teas are all made from the same plant; the difference lies in the processing. White is processed the least, and includes some of the flower buds from the plant, green is dried, and black is cured before drying. Hence, black tea has the fewest antioxidants of the three, but still has quite a lot.

An interesting note, for the tea drinkers out there who've tried green tea but have trouble getting used to the taste: teas have distinctly different brewing times. Black teas should steep for 5 minutes or so, with water *just* off the boil. Green teas should be steeped for no more than 3 minutes (and that's too long, in my opinion, 1-2 is better), in water that's been allowed to cool about 30 degrees from boiling (waiting a minute is my guage). White tea is a 1 minute steep. Steeping the teas too long releases more of their bitter chemicals, leaving the teas tasting... icky. (That's the scientific term, icky, don't you know. :-P ) (I know some folks who steep their green tea for, like, 10 minutes. *Shudder* It does NOT have the delicate taste that green tea should.)

I'm surprised, really, by how different different brands of just plain ol' green tea taste. My favorites are Tazo's Zen and China Green Tips for a more full flavored tea, and Stash's Organic Green Tea for a pure green tea flavor. Choice makes a very nice Bancha (toasted green tea, which has been toasted a bit after the drying process and mellows the flavor a bit) which I also very much enjoy. (A variation on this is Genmai-cha, which is green tea with toasted brown rice. An experience all it's own.)

Another important consideration when making tea is to use *good* water. Yep, if you can get filtered water, it'll taste better.

As for celiac disease specifically, I agree that there isn't a particular thing it will help that itself, but it supports the body and the immune system in general. Not to mention, is a great way to drink hot, honeyed tea if you do start getting a cold. ;-)

I love genmai-cha! I get that all the time. I also like the flavor of Good Earth green tea. I got some REALLY good teas when I went to China, but sadly that supply is dwindling.

jenvan Collaborator

Beverly-

Is this the tea you were trying to verify? Open Original Shared Link If so, it is gluten-free. If its not the tea, you can look for it on the website. CS will state whether it is gluten-free or not.

bmorrow Rookie
Beverly-

Is this the tea you were trying to verify?  Open Original Shared Link  If so, it is gluten-free.  If its not the tea, you can look for it on the website.  CS will state whether it is gluten-free or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Jen,

I didn't think about checking their website!

floridanative Community Regular

I'm a huge tea drkinker and my new favorite tea is Mighty Leaf Tea. I had it at a resort in CA and started ordering it online before I found out I can get it here at Norsdtroms. The African Amber is to die for! I hope I can still have it if I have to go gluten-free. I love so many teas/flavors that I'm sure not all of them are safe. Also, Revolution Tea is fantstic too. Their Earl Grey Lavender Tea is divine!

Tiffany M.

aikiducky Apprentice

Nice to see there are so many tea lovers here! :) I love to drink genmai-cha as well, but not all the time... the taste is too ...distinctive to drink every day I think.

My favorite is different kinds of Darjeeling, I shop at a local tea and coffee shop, and just ask for their recommendations. They keep tempting me with a First Flush (horrendously expensive....) :P I bought a water filter can just to make better tea! And it's true about steeping times and water temp. A lot of people who don't like green tea never really got to taste it properly made.

That said, when I need a caffeine boost I'll make green tea that tastes like poison! :ph34r: But I don't expect anyone else to drink it... :blink: Green tea actually can have more caffeine than black, depending on the way you prepare it.

Pauliina

debbiewil Rookie

I have a question for the more experienced members. When I was first learning about gluten-free foods, someone told me to be careful of teas, because some companies use wheat starch as the sealant on tea bags. The tea might be fine, but I could still have a reaction from the bag, especially if I had several cups. So I stick with ones I know don't use wheat starch, or else I take the tea out of the bag and brew it loose. (I have the tea balls, all sizes, as I often use loose tea anyway.) Does anyone else do that or heard that about the tea bags?

Debbie

Guest Viola

I've been drinking tea for all the years since I've been diagnosed and never had a problem with it. And it takes very little to give me a reaction.

I think this is the first I've heard of it.

Viola - Which kind do you drink. Years ago I used to like Red Rose - or just good old black tea with sugar and milk. (Enough to nicely stain my teeth a slight tan :rolleyes: )

Amanda

I've been drinking tea for all the years since I've been diagnosed and never had a problem with it. And it takes very little to give me a reaction.

I think this is the first I've heard of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Viola

I usually drink Red Rose, both Orange Peako (sp) and Green tea. Also will drink Tetley Orange Peako and Earl Grey. Nothing fancy, you can find them anywhere :D

• 2 years later...
MN-Newbie Newbie

I love Mighty Leaf Tea as well and emailed the company because I figured I could make sure I wouldn't be glutened that way, and I've been dying to try the Detox kind. Here was their reply:

Thank you for your email. None of our blends contain wheat, rye, barley or oats, so the tea itself is gluten free. However, our teas may be processed in a facility that also processes gluten products, opening up the risk for cross contamination.

We hope this helps answers your question. If you need any additional assistance, please call us at (877) 698-5323 x 4. Thank you and take good care.

Mighty Leaf Tea

136 Mitchell Blvd.

San Rafael, CA 94903

Tel: 877.698.5323 ext.4

Fax: 415.491.9521

Typical answer, so I am wondering if anyone has had problems ever with Mighty Leaf?

Archived