This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite - Best Cold Cuts And Chips

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am just wondering what everyones favorite chips and lunch meat are.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I never did like coldcuts. My favorite lunchmeat is chicken that I cooked myself. I can shred it and put it on some Udi's with some melted cheddar and it beats any coldcut out there.

I used to like Kettle Brand Sea Salt chips the best, but it seems potatoes still bother me. But because of your DH I guess you can't have salt. I have in the past had unsalted potato chips and after the first few bites I realized I could really taste the potato. I found them to be better than salted chips. Hard to find though.

I've been eating Planter's cashews for my crunchy/salty snack lately. Or sometimes I get rice crackers.

GFreeMO Proficient

Hi Bart.  WIth Dh, the thing is to avoid iodized salt so some salt is ok.  I'd have to call and see which kind of salt Kettle uses.  I have been eating Lays Stax b/c I have read on here that they are made on dedicated equipment.  They are so so.  I wish I could have nuts but I am allergic. 

I hear ya about cold cuts but sometimes I need something quick to grab to take with me.  I do prefer leftover chicken too.  I have been eating Hormel Naturals Roast Beef but it's a little rare for my tastes.

jerseyangel Proficient

Not a cold cut eater, but I like Lays Classic chips. I eat way too many of them.

love2travel Mentor

Another non cold-cut person but when I take sandwiches on the road I do like Natural Selections that is labeled gluten free on the package. 

My favourite flavours of chips are in England - roast chicken and thyme and prawn cocktail.  Here I LOVE Old Dutch ketchup chips.  I don't really like Lays that much as I prefer thicker chips.  I love to make my own chips, too.  Great - now I have a craving for chips.  :wacko:

IrishHeart Veteran

Not a huge cold cut eater either, but when I do, I like Applegate Farms.

gluten-free, Casein free and no nitrates added and very tasty.

Since I cannot have foods high in histamines right now, I am not eating any deli meats at all.

As for potato chips, the hubs prefers Cape Cod but I like Lay's Classic.

Adalaide Mentor

I guess I'm different. I'm not a chip eater. I like them now and then, and when I get the urge I used to be all about the Pringles so now I just eat the Stax instead. Mostly because I am also a dipper. I don't eat chips because I want chips, I mostly use them as a dip delivery system. 

Meat though? Oh yeah, bring that stuff on! I stick almost exclusively to Boar's Head from the deli. I realize this isn't an option for everyone. I do one of two things to get it. I either go to the store right by my house which sells a few brands of meats, and simply show up and wait in front of the deli for it to open so I am the first customer and my meat is the first on the slicer for the day. The alternative is that there is a local store that sells exclusively Boar's Head meats. I go there most of the time as I do not do mornings. If I am truly desperate, I will go to the store by my house in the middle of the day and get them to clean a slicer for me. I've never had a problem with this, but I hate to inconvenience them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Kettle and Zapps!!!! And don't get me going in Tostitos.

Unlike Boars Head and Trader Joes cold cuts. TJ's carries some Spanish and Italian combo meat packs marked gluten-free. Awesome.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I'm addicted to olive oil potato chips from Trader Joe's. They're the tastiest thing I've ever....

it's just bad, I just can't buy them.

CommonTater Contributor

I LOVE deli bologna but haven't had it in a very long time, afraid it might have gluten.

IrishHeart Veteran

I LOVE deli bologna but haven't had it in a very long time, afraid it might have gluten.

Try some Boar's Head Brand. The company rep assured me it was gluten-free (My Mom loves it and she wanted some)

She said it is very tasty indeed. 

DutchGirl Apprentice

I never did like coldcuts. My favorite lunchmeat is chicken that I cooked myself. I can shred it and put it on some Udi's with some melted cheddar and it beats any coldcut out there.

I used to like Kettle Brand Sea Salt chips the best, but it seems potatoes still bother me. But because of your DH I guess you can't have salt. I have in the past had unsalted potato chips and after the first few bites I realized I could really taste the potato. I found them to be better than salted chips. Hard to find though.

I've been eating Planter's cashews for my crunchy/salty snack lately. Or sometimes I get rice crackers.

Why can't you have salt with DH?? I am newly diagnosed with celiac and have DH on my scalp as well but I got my diagnoses and the doctor sent me on my way. He didn't really give me a whole lot of pointers. I don't meant to take over this post but this sounds like something I should know.

bartfull Rising Star

Iodine is bad for DH and a lot of salt is iodized. I don't have DH and my heart breaks for those of you who do. Go to the DH section of the forum and read as many threads as you can and you will find a lot of tips on how to deal with it.

DutchGirl Apprentice

Iodine is bad for DH and a lot of salt is iodized. I don't have DH and my heart breaks for those of you who do. Go to the DH section of the forum and read as many threads as you can and you will find a lot of tips on how to deal with it.

Thank you, I'll do that!! I had no idea!

Gemini Experienced

Boar's Head deli meats are a huge cut above all others.  Really good stuff and I am not a big deli meat person.  I believe that all Boar's Head products are gluten-free, including their condiments.  Not cheap but safe to eat and delicious...there are no grains or fillers in them.

Applegate Farms are my second favorite.

Archived