Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendations On gluten-free Foods That Are Easy On The Gut While I Am Healing

foods easy to digest newly diagnosed healing foods

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 laralou

laralou

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2012.  I began the gluten-free diet right off.  I am still having a lot of GI issues and I have to run to the bathroom a lot for a sick stomach (D).  Any recommendations on foods I can eat that are easy to digest and will help with the healing process?  I am keeping a food journal to try and figure out what is agreeing and disagreeing with my body.  Also, I gave up dairy, coffee, and alcohol to try and help promote the healing. I am also taking a special mulitvitamin that has probiotics and digestive enzymes formulated for people with Celiac.  Thanks for any and all help. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Broths, stocks, soups.

I suggest making them.

Boiled/broiled/roasted meats. Thoroughly cooked fruits and veggies.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2012.  I began the gluten-free diet right off.  I am still having a lot of GI issues and I have to run to the bathroom a lot for a sick stomach (D).  Any recommendations on foods I can eat that are easy to digest and will help with the healing process?  I am keeping a food journal to try and figure out what is agreeing and disagreeing with my body.  Also, I gave up dairy, coffee, and alcohol to try and help promote the healing. I am also taking a special mulitvitamin that has probiotics and digestive enzymes formulated for people with Celiac.  Thanks for any and all help. 

Hey Laralou!  And Welcome!!

Certainly by this time you should be feeling some relief.  Good choice to elimate coffee, dairy and alcohol. I would recommend that you elimiated all processed foods and stick to the out side of the grocery store....with only naturally gluten free foods. Watch out for gluten free processed foods, althought gluten free, they carry other ingredients which some find bothersome.

Shampoos, lotions, lipsticks if containing gluten can make you ill.  Have you checked on your mulivitamin and digestive enzyme for gluten.  It's doubful, but possible.  Be cautious about anything that comes in contact with your mouth.  Things a simple as a shared toaster could be causing your issues.

If you are certain that you have been as closes as you can to be  gluten free for an extended period of time, there may be other ingredients that you might eliminate, one at a time.

Good luck to you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 laralou

laralou

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hey Laralou!  And Welcome!!

Certainly by this time you should be feeling some relief.  Good choice to elimate coffee, dairy and alcohol. I would recommend that you elimiated all processed foods and stick to the out side of the grocery store....with only naturally gluten free foods. Watch out for gluten free processed foods, althought gluten free, they carry other ingredients which some find bothersome.

Shampoos, lotions, lipsticks if containing gluten can make you ill.  Have you checked on your mulivitamin and digestive enzyme for gluten.  It's doubful, but possible.  Be cautious about anything that comes in contact with your mouth.  Things a simple as a shared toaster could be causing your issues.

If you are certain that you have been as closes as you can to be  gluten free for an extended period of time, there may be other ingredients that you might eliminate, one at a time.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice.  I have gone through all of my suppliments, beauty products and have gotten a new toaster, pans and cooking utensils.  I am just thinking it is going to take a long time to heal.  I use to have "D" up to 20 times a day.  Now having it 5 times a day, but I don't have the bloated gut and pain like I use to so I am encouraged that I am seeing improvement.  The crazy thing is I am waking up at night now with GI issues and am having to run to the bathroom.  I use to always have my bathroom issues in the morning. I have been eating lots of fruits and veggies, but I am wondering if this may be too hard on my gut at this time.  I was sick for 7 years so I think this just may be a slow process in helping my gut to heal.  I will look into making broths like Pricklypear recommended.  Rice cereal and almond milk has been my go to the last few days.  I have started taking Immodium again to control symptoms.  Anyone else have a similar story with crazy GI issues of "D" and still getting sick after going gluten free for 3 months or longer? 

#5 mommyof4

mommyof4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

It sounds like you are on the right track.  Healing can be different for each person, so try to be patient with your body...especially on those "off" days.

I was diagnosed with Celiac the Fall of 2011, so I am almost one year ahead of you.  I also had lots of GI issues & pain.  I was really sick & didn't have much of an appetite...had lost 22lbs in a few weeks from malabsoption...undiagnosed Celiac had affected many things in my body.  The first year was a rollercoaster of learning, adjusting, dr. apts, & healing. 

The one meal I lived on for months until I could handle more food was homeade chicken soup.  So simple...I boiled down a whole chicken on the stove for about 2-3 hours(cover the chicken with water in a big pot), took the meat off, added cooked brown rice & frozen veggies.  I froze the soup in ziplock baggies so I would have an easy lunch/supper.  I also ate fresh or frozen fruit...bananas, blueberries,etc.  Chicken breasts, grilled salmon...all easy to digest.  I stayed away from citric, tomato based, & dairy...you may find you have other food intollerances.  I found that I had a tough time with raw veggies, so I bought a juicer & started juicing anti-inflammatory veggies. 

So, here I am almost 1 1/2 years later & I am doing soooo much better!  Before diagnosis, I didn't know much about Celiac Disease.  Now, this lifestyle of g.free living is 2nd nature.  I am learning to be patient with my body.  I still have an "off" day now & then, but not nearly as bad as an "off" day a year ago(where I would be in bed for the day).  Our bodies are made to heal from MOST things (I know, not everything) with time.

The other thing I would encourage is "move" your body...walk, walk, walk...or whatever you can handle without overdoing it.  Find a local support group or connect locally with people that eat g.free when you are ready...it can be fun exchanging recipe ideas, laughing at horrible products you waste money on, etc. 

Keep us posted on how you are doing  :)

Give your body time to heal...it can takehow long you were Celiac without knowing it & how much damage you have. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: