6 replies to this topic

#1 lynnieloo

lynnieloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I just received my Dx last week and have been gluten-free for 7 days . . . thankfully, the pain in my gut has subsided.  However, i noticed one of the symptoms of celiac is mouth sores.  I don't have these, but i have been having chronic sores in my nose for months.  Does anyone else have this?  Do these issues resolve themselves as the body heals?  In the meantime, how do you treat?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I used to have those when I was eating gluten. I never even thought about it being gluten connected, and I never even consciously noticed that they have gone away now, but they have. I had issues with mouth sores AFTER going gluten-free for a while. Those have stopped now too. I would say just give it time.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Like bartfull, I get mouth sores more often than the nose ones... but I do get them once in a while.  I'm not sure if they were from celiac or something else though... it's one of those really common symptoms it seems.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I just received my Dx last week and have been gluten-free for 7 days . . . thankfully, the pain in my gut has subsided.  However, i noticed one of the symptoms of celiac is mouth sores.  I don't have these, but i have been having chronic sores in my nose for months.  Does anyone else have this?  Do these issues resolve themselves as the body heals?  In the meantime, how do you treat?

It's my understanding that a person absorbes 70% of your fluid intake in your small intestines.  If the intestines are damaged..no absorption.  Hydrate yourself as much as possible, and in time, you may feel better. ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Nose is lined with mucous membrane, makes sense to me that it could be celiac connected. I have issues with mouth sores. I think a lot of my issues are from vitamin deficiencies, but I also had what I think was a gluten reaction and my mouth was immediately burny, like I had small sores over it and then decided to swish lemon juice around, when I ate the food.

Look into all the vitamin deficiencies that cause mouth sores, (I think that's most of them...) dose up on them for awhile and see if it gets better. And the usual, make sure you're not ingesting gluten where you think it isn't.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#6 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

keep an eye on it.  The human nose is a really "dirty" spot.  make sure they don't get infected.

#7 lynnieloo

lynnieloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thank you all for your responses.  I had to go to the dr. yesterday because I have the respiratory crud.  I mentioned the sores in my nose to her and she said they could be celiac-related.  She told me to use neosporin just inside the nostril, which I am starting.  I am a bit anxious to see what the antibiotic she prescribed does to my tummy over the course of treatment.  It seems that anything that will affect a person's tummy affects mine way more intensely . . . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: