3 replies to this topic

#1 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

So many times I see posts here advising "get a new doctor" when someone's MD or GI is clearly behind the times. I've said it myself!

But now I'm wondering where all these new and better doctors are hiding? In a small town like mine, we don't have many choices.

So where are the forward-thinking doctors as far as NCGI and celiac? Are we talking like 3 or 4 in the whole country or something? It seems like the majority of us here have to teach our doctors about gluten instead of vice-versa.

(Hey, and are any in Northern California?)

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TNfarmgirl

TNfarmgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have the same problem.  I have Gastroenterologist that diagnosed me with Celiac and GERD in Oct.  Basically all I received was a phone call with the biopsy results and told to go gluten-free. I was given 'handouts' to explain celiac disease and that's as far as it went.   They now want another upper scope done to 'see how I'm doing'.  After 4 months is there going to be any noticeable difference?  And then what?  Another handout?  

Is there such a thing as a doctor that treats a patient as a whole person?  I go to a Neurologist, Orthopedist, Hematologist and Gynecologist and somewhere in there my GP will put a word in.  However, none of my "body part" physicians seem to be able to link all of my symptoms and some just smirk when I mention that I am a Celiac.  Is an Osteopath a viable option?  I would like someone familiar with celiac disease and the other auto-immune difficulties that are associated with the disease.  I am at the end of my rope and wallet as well.  Any ideas?]" It seems like the majority of us here have to teach our doctors about gluten instead of vice-versa." is right!

Edited by TNfarmgirl, 19 February 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Some people have luck with integrative medical groups.

I see a naturapath. I started with one, lasted for a year and then it started getting nutty.

So I looked for a new "whatever". Ended up with another nd that was an RN and teaches at a major university medical/nursing school. Much better to have that background.

I've tried DO's - saw nothing that different from an md.

So, nd's generally treat the whole person but can be nutty as heck. Good news is they generally state their concentration up front and hint at their style - sometimes on a website. You never get that out of MD's. And nd's don't hold an exclusive license on nutty - just read the "what doctors have said (or something like that)" thread on here.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 TNfarmgirl

TNfarmgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Guess I need to link up with some Celiacs in my area to ask this question.  I have run into some ND's and either the fees are so expensive or they are slightly off the deep end of the treatment bend.  Just wishing for someone that recognizes celiac disease and its complications.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: