Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Where Are The Great Doctors?

4 posts in this topic

So many times I see posts here advising "get a new doctor" when someone's MD or GI is clearly behind the times. I've said it myself!

But now I'm wondering where all these new and better doctors are hiding? In a small town like mine, we don't have many choices.

So where are the forward-thinking doctors as far as NCGI and celiac? Are we talking like 3 or 4 in the whole country or something? It seems like the majority of us here have to teach our doctors about gluten instead of vice-versa.

(Hey, and are any in Northern California?)

Ads by Google:

I have the same problem.  I have Gastroenterologist that diagnosed me with Celiac and GERD in Oct.  Basically all I received was a phone call with the biopsy results and told to go gluten-free. I was given 'handouts' to explain celiac disease and that's as far as it went.   They now want another upper scope done to 'see how I'm doing'.  After 4 months is there going to be any noticeable difference?  And then what?  Another handout?  

Is there such a thing as a doctor that treats a patient as a whole person?  I go to a Neurologist, Orthopedist, Hematologist and Gynecologist and somewhere in there my GP will put a word in.  However, none of my "body part" physicians seem to be able to link all of my symptoms and some just smirk when I mention that I am a Celiac.  Is an Osteopath a viable option?  I would like someone familiar with celiac disease and the other auto-immune difficulties that are associated with the disease.  I am at the end of my rope and wallet as well.  Any ideas?]" It seems like the majority of us here have to teach our doctors about gluten instead of vice-versa." is right!

Edited by TNfarmgirl

Some people have luck with integrative medical groups.

I see a naturapath. I started with one, lasted for a year and then it started getting nutty.

So I looked for a new "whatever". Ended up with another nd that was an RN and teaches at a major university medical/nursing school. Much better to have that background.

I've tried DO's - saw nothing that different from an md.

So, nd's generally treat the whole person but can be nutty as heck. Good news is they generally state their concentration up front and hint at their style - sometimes on a website. You never get that out of MD's. And nd's don't hold an exclusive license on nutty - just read the "what doctors have said (or something like that)" thread on here.

Guess I need to link up with some Celiacs in my area to ask this question.  I have run into some ND's and either the fees are so expensive or they are slightly off the deep end of the treatment bend.  Just wishing for someone that recognizes celiac disease and its complications.   

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Ugh!  So, you have early stages of celiac disease and that was after being gluten light?  It is a shame that your doctor is not comfortable about giving you a formal diagnosis because you don't have enough damage!  Time for a new GI.  You can also as for another pathologist to read your biopsies, but seriously....... Have a conversation with your current doctor about the reasons why he is hesitating.  He would rather you continue to become more ill or improve your health?   Are you going to be scarred for life with a celiac disease diagnosis? Maybe he is one of those people who think it is impossible to live with wheat, rye or barley!   I don't get it! 
    • Thanks for the comments. With Dr. Google, I have seen mast cell disorder pop up.  It seems like I need to eliminate some basics before heading in that direction. So, another question...is it possible that symptoms of celiac need time to "build up" over time? For instance,  I started reintroducing gluten and coffee last week to prepare for my GI appt.  However, nothing really seemed to happen except a little knee crankyness (which I can easily attribute to hiking).  Yet, yesterday I had a huge bagel at work, had itchy forearms, and then had two huge hives appear later.  Today, I had another bagel and in a few hours I had a few red fingers that were itchy and numb feeling in the tips.   I know histamine intolerance is a possibility, but wouldn't that show up as an extremely large hive with my allergy skin test? Also, I had to go into work today and yesterday. I'm wondering if that environment could contribute to the issue (I'm a high school teacher).  
    • Hi Fidel, The original poster hasn't been on the site for several years, so you may not get a response from them. But welcome to the forum!  
    • False positive or negative?  I was diagnosed with Coeliac and the more rare Dermatitis Herpetiforma.  I know that symptoms like youre describing could be a whole variety of conditions.  I have a friend who has ulcerative colitis whose symptoms are similar to what you are describing.  You could have ulcers, but keeping it real i have to say youre also describing opiate withdrawl.  So if youve been on pain killers prescibed or not that could be it also.  Best of luck
    • Hi Megan, Regarding dairy, celiac disease damages the villi that make the lactase enzyme that digests milk sugar (lactose).  So sometimes people can't digest dairy well when they first start the gluten-free diet.   Over time that may change as you heal.  The ability to digest dairy doesn't always come back, but it may. Throwing up can be caused by excess gas in the stomach.  That's pretty common when starting the diet.  Sugar and carbs will make it worse.  Udi's bagels are made of various flours so they are full of carbs.  Carbs are turned into sugar in the body and that feeds the bacteria, hence the gas. You could be reacting to various foods, so eliminating one problem food is not going to fix all the problems.  I think it would be more helpful to start by following the tips in my earlier post than to  try a full fledged elimination diet at this point.  Elimination diets can take a while to do. If you can stick to eating meats, vegetables, nuts for now that is a good thing.  No processed foods (like Udi's) or other baked goods.  This is probably the fastest way to get better and learn what is safe to eat.  Once you are feeling better for a few weeks then you can try adding in one new food a week and see how it goes.  The gluten-free diet is a lifetime commitment so you may as well start out right and take your time.  Whole foods are a good way to go at the beginning.  If you cook your own food you know what is in it.  That's important to know for us.  Avoiding any processed food with more than 3 ingredients is also good.  The fewer ingredients you are eating the simpler it is to figure out a problem. I wouldn't worry about the idea of the throwing up thing making you react to dairy.  Celiac is known to cause a problem with dairy intolerance.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    FidelCash-Flow