10 replies to this topic

#1 Bbec

Bbec

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi, I had posted about a month ago and since then have had more testing done. My initial test, requested by me, was just an IgA which came back negative at 172 out of a ref range of 61-356. I then requested further testing since I was still getting no other answers and they ran the genetic typing which was positive.
So after that, they ran more testing. My doctor just called and told me that my IgA still came back normal but my IgG came back weakly positive at 25 with <20 being normal.
I'm now being referred for a biopsy. Is this typical that celiac is expressed with a pos IgG and neg IgA?
Also, I have been feeling great for the past two weeks (on a typical, gluten containing diet) so I had convinced myself that it was all just stress and this result came as kind of a shock since I've been feeling so good lately.
I'm definitely not as scared of the idea of celiac anymore, after worrying about other possibilities, but I'm just kind of perplexed as to the results.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Which IgA and IgG tests were run? The total serum IgA or IgG tesst simply test whether you have enough Immunoglobulin A or G in you system to get an actual positive celiac test (on the ttg, DGP, EMA or AGA tests).

To me, based on your lab ranges, it looks like you had the total serum IgA test done (you have normal levels so you could have further ttg IgA, EMA IgA, EMA IgA or AGA IgA tests done), and possibly a ttg IgG (which came back slightly positive). There is a chance something else is causing your slightly elevated (ttg?) IGg so it's a good idea to get more testing (biopsy or blood) done. Personally, I feel that if you have celiac symptoms and have a slightly positive test, chances are that it's celiac, but I understand that "need to be sure" before you overhaul your diet.

And yes, there are many around here who just had positive (ttg?) IgG or DGP IgG tests with a normal (ttg?) IgA. It's not uncommon; that's probably why they do both test versions. There are some who have totally negative blood work and then have a positive biopsy and then vice versa.  Hopefully celiac testing will be improved soon so gettin a diagnosis won't be such a process!

Good luck with the biopsy.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

I second what nicole said...if you are unsure which tests are which - feel free to post everything written on your results and we can help interpret them.

Good luck to you :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Bbec

Bbec

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks!  I feel like my doctor knows very little about these tests and I had to tell him what should be tested, so I'm not absolutely positive on the results as I've only talked to him on the phone.  He is sending me a copy of the results though.  The initial test that came back negative was a "Celiac Disease Cascade IgA" which lists Immunoglobulin A, S at 172, which was listed as "negative serology."

It appears this is the test they ran most recently, as Mayo was the lab that did it.  http://www.mayomedic...erpretive/89031

So it isn't weird that I've been feeling better recently while eating gluten?

Also, since I did get the positive genetic test, this means that my little boys should be tested too, correct?  Would I need to have them get just the regular blood test or the genetic typing?

Edited by Bbec, 20 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#5 Michael1974

Michael1974

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Similar results for me-- everything on the Celiac Panel came back as normal/negative but the IgG  (ANTIGLIADIN ABS, IGG 31 units (0-19).  From what I've read, that should mean that Celiac most likely isn't the source of my problems but the replies on this thread suggest that it still could be.  Just curious what other tests might be recommended to further explore the reason for the eleveated IgG antiobdy? I expect to feel better once I go Gluten free, but my concern is that there could be another cause (autoimmune or otherwise).  My doc is helpful but also doesn't seem to know much in this area.  For those of you that had similar lab results (positive IgG but normal IgA), what other causes did you explore before settling on Celiac (or Gluten Sensitivity) as the most likely cause?

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks!  I feel like my doctor knows very little about these tests and I had to tell him what should be tested, so I'm not absolutely positive on the results as I've only talked to him on the phone.  He is sending me a copy of the results though.  The initial test that came back negative was a "Celiac Disease Cascade IgA" which lists Immunoglobulin A, S at 172, which was listed as "negative serology."

It appears this is the test they ran most recently, as Mayo was the lab that did it.  http://www.mayomedic...erpretive/89031

So it isn't weird that I've been feeling better recently while eating gluten?

Also, since I did get the positive genetic test, this means that my little boys should be tested too, correct?  Would I need to have them get just the regular blood test or the genetic typing?

I still think that IgA could just be your Total IgA Serum test... not sure though. I;m afraid I couldn't see or understand where in that article they refered to your test. Oh well. Post your results when they arrive in the mail and there are many around here who could help you figure them out.

I agree that it's a good idea to test your kids. If possible, I would do both types of tests. Just be aware that the blood work on young kids (up to preschool age) can often show a false negative because they haven't had time to build up the antibodies yet. also, remember that celiac can manifest itself at any time in a person's life so if they test negaive at age 5, it doesn't mean they'll still be negative at age 6. If you have them on a "glutenous" diet, you'll need to keep on eye on them.

... My kids tested negative, but since I have celiac and needed to go gluten-free I made them gluten-free too just to be on the safe side; I was actually happy to see health improvements in 2 out of 3 of my kids, and they ALL had a growth spurt after being gluten-free for 2 months... could be a coincidence or maybe not. Anyway, having the whole family eat gluten free is something to consider for health and,,, for ease of cooking! LOL

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#7 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Similar results for me-- everything on the Celiac Panel came back as normal/negative but the IgG  (ANTIGLIADIN ABS, IGG 31 units (0-19).  From what I've read, that should mean that Celiac most likely isn't the source of my problems but the replies on this thread suggest that it still could be.  Just curious what other tests might be recommended to further explore the reason for the eleveated IgG antiobdy? I expect to feel better once I go Gluten free, but my concern is that there could be another cause (autoimmune or otherwise).  My doc is helpful but also doesn't seem to know much in this area.  For those of you that had similar lab results (positive IgG but normal IgA), what other causes did you explore before settling on Celiac (or Gluten Sensitivity) as the most likely cause?

I know that a slightly elevated ttg IgA can be liked with thyroid disorders as well as ecoli.  I'm afraid I don't know much about other diseases that cause a positive AGA IgG  but I found a couple of links with more info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pt=AbstractPlus

http://www.celiacdis...C05-Testing.htm

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#8 Bbec

Bbec

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I got the results in the mail. Here is what it says:
Celiac gene pairs present? Yes
Celiac disease possible. Consider biopsy.
Gliadin (deamidated) Ab, IgA, S <10.0 Ref <20 negative
Gliadin (deamidated) Ab, IgG, S 25.9 Ref <20 negative. Interpretation: weak positive (20-30)
Immunoglobulin A (IgA) 147 Ref 61-356
Tissue transglutaminase Ab, IgA, S. <1.2. Ref <4 negative
Tissue transglutaminase Ab, IgG, S. 2.5 Ref <6 negative

Thanks for your continuing help!

#9 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

Gliadin (deamidated) Ab, IgG, S 25.9 Ref <20 negative. Interpretation: weak positive (20-30)

Hi Bbec

i also only had a high DGP igG number and everything else fell into the negative range, and I'm not igA deficient.  here's the link to my main thread, so I hope it is helpful  :) http://www.celiac.co...results-please/  

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#10 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

I think your DGP IgG positive shows that something is up. Usually it is celiac causing it. I would strongly considerfollowing the gluten-free diet, or having the biopsy... and then following the gluten-free diet.  ;)  That's the beauty of the gluten-free diet is that it can't hurt in any way unless you subssist on junk food but that's not good on any type of diet.  Good luck.

Nicole Posted Image

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012

CANADIAN

#11 Bbec

Bbec

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

My doctor referred me for a biopsy but the soonest I can be seen is the end of April.  sigh.  I guess I just get to wait until then to find out if it's really celiac.  Are there other things that can trigger a higher IgG number?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: