1 reply to this topic

#1 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Can you tell me the name of the basic bloodwork test to determine if someone might have celiac disease. Is it called a Celiac Panel?

I am concerned my younger brother may have celiac disease and so I want to tell him the name of the bloodtest to ask the doctor to do. He is not really having too many problems at this time but I do not want him to eventually go through all the suffering it has caused me. It is my understanding it is hereditary and runs in families. He is lactose intolerant and as a child had quite a few stomach complaints and also seemed to have failure to strive...he did not grow a bit for 8 straight years. He is always taking things now for what he says is indigestion and says it is just because he drinks beer often. He also says he eats a lot of bread. And he has been having a red lumpy rash on his face which does not respond to things the doctor orders for it...mine was on both elbows and I had it for over 20 years and it never responded to anything the doctors ordered and 4 months after I stopped eating wheat it completely disappeared and has never come back.

Do you think I am being overly cautious in wanting him to be tested for celiac disease? Sorry for the wordy post but I would like your opinion as I know I have always been a bit too overprotective of my younger brothers.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Can you tell me the name of the basic bloodwork test to determine if someone might have celiac disease. Is it called a Celiac Panel?

I am concerned my younger brother may have celiac disease and so I want to tell him the name of the bloodtest to ask the doctor to do. He is not really having too many problems at this time but I do not want him to eventually go through all the suffering it has caused me. It is my understanding it is hereditary and runs in families. He is lactose intolerant and as a child had quite a few stomach complaints and also seemed to have failure to strive...he did not grow a bit for 8 straight years. He is always taking things now for what he says is indigestion and says it is just because he drinks beer often. He also says he eats a lot of bread. And he has been having a red lumpy rash on his face which does not respond to things the doctor orders for it...mine was on both elbows and I had it for over 20 years and it never responded to anything the doctors ordered and 4 months after I stopped eating wheat it completely disappeared and has never come back.

Do you think I am being overly cautious in wanting him to be tested for celiac disease? Sorry for the wordy post but I would like your opinion as I know I have always been a bit too overprotective of my younger brothers.

The list of tests below constitutes what is called the celiac blood panel:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

Sometimes it is hard to get doctors to run all of those, but do your best because they are all important - not every one of them has to be positive.  Make sure they do the last one.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009