#1 megsybeth

megsybeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hi Everyone,

I thought it might be nice to post how we're doing, especially those of us newlyl diagnosed. I haven't posted here much lately because DS and I are both well on our Gluten free way but this board was so great for me when I was first getting tested, diagnosed and dealing with symptoms that I wanted to report back. I think I've had celiac for about thirty years but it was never caught. It was only after my son started showing classic signs that I read about symptoms and realized my canker sores and infertility actually meant something. I tested positive on both blood panel and endoscopy. DS, 4, has had all the classic symptoms like small stature and finally this summer months of HORRIBLE diarrhea. But blood tests were all negative except DGP IGA and endoscopy (more than 8 samples from duodendum) was negative, reviewed by UCSD pathologist and GI and confirmed negative. Still gluten free and I tell people he has celiac's disease so they respect the diet more. Also, he has the same "low risk" DQ2 gene I have. Personally I think in ten years we'll have much better tests so we won't have to mess around with these gluten challenges and other nonsense. Clearly gluten's not for us, so the diagnosis doesn't matter as much.

As for me, the first few months were hard in some ways. Lots of pain, lots of D, which I hadn't had before or hadn't noticed. But I was a lot happier and remain so, higher energy, fog lifted. I also had canker sores for most of the first few months but now they seem to be gone. I had another blood test a couple weeks ago and don't recall levels but TTG IGA still high but Endo thinks that's ok . I'm starting to feel what I think is normal, but I'm not sure I would know normal! My big issue, I'm gaining weight. I was never too thin but I could always eat whatever I wanted. I'm still struggling not to do that anymore. Even though the hunger is gone that I had when malnourished, I just want to eat a box of cookies, damnit! Also my "clumsiness", which I guess was gluten brain dammage, is much improved. The other day I ran into a door and my husband asked me if I'd been glutened, he was so surprised to see me clumsy again.

My son is doing really well, no more D. Improved appetite. Growing like crazy. I'm not sure about total growth but at one point he grew 1/2 an inch in ten days. Therapists (occupational, he has motor delays), speech and teachers all say his attention is improved and he's talking more at school. He's definitely getting stronger and more muscular. He's also doing so well with the diet. This is a very immature, impulsive child but he's able to talk about what foods have gluten and about how they give him diarrhea. Of course he also makes recommendations to others which are pretty funny. Jane's sick? Oh, maybe she should go to her doctor so she can tell her which foods will make her feel better.

I know I'm very lucky, and so many of us here are suffering much worse symptoms and slower recoveries, but for our family, we are so thankful for the gluten free diet. I guess the way I see it is that I'm not unlucky to have "gotten" celiac disease. I'm so lucky to have been given a treatment. I have to cook a little more often than I'd like to. Miss some of those Trader Joes quicky dinners and takeout, but I know something about my body that is so important and I can help my little boy. So I'm very thankful.

Best of luck on your recoveries.

-Megan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thank you for dropping in and sharing your progress, Megan.  So glad you and your son are both doing well.  The newbies on the board need to hear stories like yours.  :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

This is wonderful news Megan!

Thank you for updating your family's progress -- it really is great to hear from folks that are improving :)

PS..took me a bit longer but I am improving each day and am healthier than I was 20 years ago.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 norman516

norman516

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

How long was it until you started gaining weight and until your son started growing? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: