This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Silly Question 2

designerstubble

designerstubble Enthusiast

Stomach noises.

Ok, I know we are all different etc BUT

As I am eating many of the same foods day in and day out due to restricted diet...I wonder why one day my GI tract is noiseless and then next day or day after my stomach makes terrible noises having eaten the same food? The kind if noises you get when something hasn't gone down right.

I feel really silly asking... But does it mean that my stomach is 'bothered' by this food?

Is it trying to tell me it doesn't want it? I don't get pain. I get a bit of gas and bubbling.

I was once told that if it causes gas then you shouldn't eat it as you are struggling to fully digest? (But my non celiac husband has a gassy tum all the time). Should I be expecting a quiet gut all the time?

It's not paranoia, just don't want to get inflamed in there, wanna heal .... Ok maybe just a little paranoia ;)

Sorry for these odd questions, they are subjects I have previously been too embarrassed to ask!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi designerstubble

I used to get terrible stomach rumbling after gluten breakfasts pre-gluten free days - gurgling/glooping :ph34r: .

Also slooping noises (on running/walking) as if stomach contents had turned to liquid - eewh! tmi - had forgotten about that  :wacko:  also pre-gluten free.

Now mostly all quiet!

However, hubs (who kindly went gluten free too) gets a lot of stomach noises so I will be glad to read some answers to your question here.

Sorry - wasn't much help.

Yes! I was very noisy too! And to be honest half the time now things are quiet! But then out of nowhere comes the bubbling... It's horrible! It's so so noisy too? I'm eating a process free diet so annoys me to think that my body might be complaining about my healthy restricted diet now too!!

Thanks for answering :)

Kimmy

cavernio Enthusiast

I'd never really considered a noisy stomach to be indicative of any stomach problems, they just make noises sometimes, but then again I'd been undiagnosed for quite awhile. Regardless, the process of digesting food is going to be noisy. Maybe the differences you notice have something to do with how much water or liquid you've had, if you swallowed a lot of air when you ate (apparently a lot of air is why when you don't eat your stomach will be louder), if you've been sitting or standing or lying down. (I'd guess that it'd be less noisy if it's not as close to the outside of your body.)

Of all the things to be concerned about, this is not one of the ones I'm personally worried about.

kareng Grand Master

Seems pretty normal.  I really notice it if I drink a big glass of water and then lay down.

Open Original Shared Link

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

I assumed we were not referring to grumbling 'hungry' stomach noises which would be normal.

Mine were definitely to do with gluten and the liquid stomach was not from having had liquid but something strange happening to the food!!!!!

Happy to report I don't get this gluten free  :) . 

kareng Grand Master

I assumed we were not referring to grumbling 'hungry' stomach noises which would be normal.Mine were definitely to do with gluten and the liquid stomach was not from having had liquid but something strange happening to the food!!!!! Happy to report I don't get this gluten free  :) . 

"Stomach noise — such as rumbling, gurgling and growling — typically is due to normal digestion. Stomach growling can occur when you're hungry. But it can also occur after eating or between meals when food is being digested."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi

If you read the MayoClinic link which you kindly supplied, it goes on to say that excessive stomach noise can be caused by underlying stomach condition like IBS, especially when accompanied by bloating, gas, etc. I should think celiac comes under this heading for sure!

I was undiagnosed for many years so my stomach came up with plenty of methods to show it's displeasure at what I was sending down for it.

Shows what a slow learner I was too  :ph34r: !

I'd never really considered a noisy stomach to be indicative of any stomach problems, they just make noises sometimes, but then again I'd been undiagnosed for quite awhile. Regardless, the process of digesting food is going to be noisy. Maybe the differences you notice have something to do with how much water or liquid you've had, if you swallowed a lot of air when you ate (apparently a lot of air is why when you don't eat your stomach will be louder), if you've been sitting or standing or lying down. (I'd guess that it'd be less noisy if it's not as close to the outside of your body.)

Of all the things to be concerned about, this is not one of the ones I'm personally worried about.

Thanks, lots of valid points I hadn't thought of which are quite possible. I guess because my corn intolerance started out as a grumbling gut I am paranoid!

I might add though, the noises are coming from my duodenum and beginnings of smaller bowel. It's high up on the right side virtually all the time. It does make me feel uncomfortable. (But.. I honestly don't know if its just me worrying unduly?) I suspect it's a bit of both? Perhaps as I am still healing sometimes 'normal' food might annoy my upper gi from time to time!

I will say that one of the times I got it was after a pint of fruit smoothie :) fluid!!

I will keep an extra eye out and watch for your points!

Thank you

Seems pretty normal. I really notice it if I drink a big glass of water and then lay down.

Open Original Shared Link

Actually I know what you mean! I have noticed that also! It annoys me because the noises come from my upper right gi (prob duodenum)... So I assume that it's having a hard time with something. My corn intolerances grew from these kinds of noises. As much as I don't want to be paranoid (I don't want food ruling my life!) it's hard to ignore. Guess I'll wait and see? I'll try to ignore unless I see a pattern emerge!

Thanks for the link. I always forget to look at mayo!

Hi

If you read the MayoClinic link which you kindly supplied, it goes on to say that excessive stomach noise can be caused by underlying stomach condition like IBS, especially when accompanied by bloating, gas, etc. I should think celiac comes under this heading for sure!

I was undiagnosed for many years so my stomach came up with plenty of methods to show it's displeasure at what I was sending down for it.

Shows what a slow learner I was too :ph34r: !

Yep me too. I think I must have been in reverse gear?!! I also assumed that I was worn out with motherhood and night vigils by my sons bed when he was asthmatic etc. I also assumed that as my husbands guts made dreadful noises, mine were normal!!

It wasn't until I was in utter despair and losing tons of weight very quickly that I thought that something was amiss. Me? Lose weight easily? Gotta be something up here!!

Kimmy

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I get this once in a while. It has, apparently, nothing whatsoever to do with what I've

eaten. It will do it sometimes if I've gone too long without food and then eaten a lot.

Sometimes it does it for no apparent reason. One day a friend of mine thought it was

funny and teased me about something bursting out of my chest a la Aliens.... I think

tummies just make noise sometimes. On the other hand, I cannot remember my

stomach ever once making noise from being hungry. So go figure!

I get this once in a while. It has, apparently, nothing whatsoever to do with what I've

eaten. It will do it sometimes if I've gone too long without food and then eaten a lot.

Sometimes it does it for no apparent reason. One day a friend of mine thought it was

funny and teased me about something bursting out of my chest a la Aliens.... I think

tummies just make noise sometimes. On the other hand, I cannot remember my

stomach ever once making noise from being hungry. So go figure!

! Thanks, well it seems I am not alone then?! Which is reassuring! And your friend is right! It does sometimes sound like there is a whole new life force going on in there, lol :)

Thank you all for replies

gatita Enthusiast

My massive gurgles and bloating were due to SIBO, according to my GI. I did a round of antibiotics followed by probiotics and the gurgles pretty much went away.

Except I just got accidentally glutened, so now everything's back. :(

My massive gurgles and bloating were due to SIBO, according to my GI. I did a round of antibiotics followed by probiotics and the gurgles pretty much went away.

Except I just got accidentally glutened, so now everything's back. :(

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Does being glutened mean the SIBO comes back again? That's awful. I don't know much about SIBO, read up a little on what & why but didn't realise that a symptom was gurgling. Did you get the gurgling all the time after eating? I have been on probiotics on and off for a 3-4 months... My docs are pretty useless here in UK, I'm pretty much muddling through on my own.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should look into SIBO!

Thank you Gatita! :)

Ps. Are you Spanish?!

And hope it gets better again soon for you

gatita Enthusiast

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Does being glutened mean the SIBO comes back again? That's awful. I don't know much about SIBO, read up a little on what & why but didn't realise that a symptom was gurgling. Did you get the gurgling all the time after eating? I have been on probiotics on and off for a 3-4 months... My docs are pretty useless here in UK, I'm pretty much muddling through on my own.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should look into SIBO!

Thank you Gatita! :)

Ps. Are you Spanish?!

And hope it gets better again soon for you

Yeah, I'm learning more about SIBO on my own too -- as anyone can tell on these forums, I've been on an awareness-raising campaign about it LOL.

My doc actually diagnosed me by my gurgles! He knew the specific sound. I was getting them from eating pretty much anything. I don't know yet if glutening will bring the SIBO bugs back, I sure hope not because I just went thru a nasty round of antibiotics to attack them.

I also just learned that SIBO can cause elevated anti-gliadin antibodies, which I have.

I'm not Spanish but I speak Spanish :) Would LOVE to go there someday.

Yeah, I'm learning more about SIBO on my own too -- as anyone can tell on these forums, I've been on an awareness-raising campaign about it LOL.

My doc actually diagnosed me by my gurgles! He knew the specific sound. I was getting them from eating pretty much anything. I don't know yet if glutening will bring the SIBO bugs back, I sure hope not because I just went thru a nasty round of antibiotics to attack them.

I also just learned that SIBO can cause elevated anti-gliadin antibodies, which I have.

I'm not Spanish but I speak Spanish :) Would LOVE to go there someday.

I also hope you don't need to take anymore antibiotics, they're awful. I know they are necessary sometimes but I hate them. Interesting about your levels going up??

I am currently listening to my guts all the time, they defo rumble about 20 minutes after eating most times... I'll keep an eye on it... And hope that I don't have SIBO.

Hope all ok for you now.

Kimmy

Oh and I lived in Andalucia for 6 years, awesome place to live, wish I could go back :( I'm half Spanish... Would trade UK anyday! Intenta ir de vacaciones que te incantare..

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi

Must jump on the band wagon here ....

Forgot to mention before but have been reminded this weekend as presumably cc'd or other non-tolerant food - my stomach does this kind of angry howling low down, could be trapped wind effect (sorry, hard to explain  :ph34r: ) which I have had before. In the past, with gluten, has been very bad.

We have a friend who comes to stay and has very bad osteoporosis and I have heard his stomach do the same thing (have not commented  :ph34r: ).

Have not liked to bang on too much about celiac and gluten being the cause of all ills !!!!

Hi

Must jump on the band wagon here ....

Forgot to mention before but have been reminded this weekend as presumably cc'd or other non-tolerant food - my stomach does this kind of angry howling low down, could be trapped wind effect (sorry, hard to explain :ph34r: ) which I have had before. In the past, with gluten, has been very bad.

We have a friend who comes to stay and has very bad osteoporosis and I have heard his stomach do the same thing (have not commented :ph34r: ).

Have not liked to bang on too much about celiac and gluten being the cause of all ills !!!!

Yes I get a howling noise too sometimes! And wind too! I just always assume to some extent this is normal? It's so difficult trying to work it all out! Sorry you got glutened :( btw.

And I know what you mean about attributing everyone's ailments to celiac... I have had to stop myself with friends and family... I guess being only 5 months into it I am on an anti gluten campaign to save the human race!! I do have gluten paranoia at the moment for sure, I used to make my sons sandwiches and handle all sorts of wheaty things but I just can't do it now... Even though I'm sure handling is ok!

Anyway, thanks for jumping on the bandwagon... And maybe try and suggest your friend gets some bloods done. You can tell them at least it will stop you from going on at them about it :D good luck

Archived