designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

Stomach noises.
Ok, I know we are all different etc BUT

As I am eating many of the same foods day in and day out due to restricted diet...I wonder why one day my GI tract is noiseless and then next day or day after my stomach makes terrible noises having eaten the same food? The kind if noises you get when something hasn't gone down right.

I feel really silly asking... But does it mean that my stomach is 'bothered' by this food?

Is it trying to tell me it doesn't want it? I don't get pain. I get a bit of gas and bubbling.

I was once told that if it causes gas then you shouldn't eat it as you are struggling to fully digest? (But my non celiac husband has a gassy tum all the time). Should I be expecting a quiet gut all the time?

It's not paranoia, just don't want to get inflamed in there, wanna heal .... Ok maybe just a little paranoia ;)

Sorry for these odd questions, they are subjects I have previously been too embarrassed to ask!

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

Hi designerstubble

I used to get terrible stomach rumbling after gluten breakfasts pre-gluten free days - gurgling/glooping :ph34r: .

Also slooping noises (on running/walking) as if stomach contents had turned to liquid - eewh! tmi - had forgotten about that  :wacko:  also pre-gluten free.

Now mostly all quiet!

However, hubs (who kindly went gluten free too) gets a lot of stomach noises so I will be glad to read some answers to your question here.

Sorry - wasn't much help.

#3 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Yes! I was very noisy too! And to be honest half the time now things are quiet! But then out of nowhere comes the bubbling... It's horrible! It's so so noisy too? I'm eating a process free diet so annoys me to think that my body might be complaining about my healthy restricted diet now too!!
Thanks for answering :)
Kimmy

Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

#4 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'd never really considered a noisy stomach to be indicative of any stomach problems, they just make noises sometimes, but then again I'd been undiagnosed for quite awhile. Regardless, the process of digesting food is going to be noisy. Maybe the differences you notice have something to do with how much water or liquid you've had, if you swallowed a lot of air when you ate (apparently a lot of air is why when you don't eat your stomach will be louder), if you've been sitting or standing or lying down. (I'd guess that it'd be less noisy if it's not as close to the outside of your body.)

Of all the things to be concerned about, this is not one of the ones I'm personally worried about.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#5 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Seems pretty normal.  I really notice it if I drink a big glass of water and then lay down.

http://www.mayoclini...h-noise/nu00189

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#6 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I assumed we were not referring to grumbling 'hungry' stomach noises which would be normal.

Mine were definitely to do with gluten and the liquid stomach was not from having had liquid but something strange happening to the food!!!!!

Happy to report I don't get this gluten free  :) . 

#7 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I assumed we were not referring to grumbling 'hungry' stomach noises which would be normal.Mine were definitely to do with gluten and the liquid stomach was not from having had liquid but something strange happening to the food!!!!! Happy to report I don't get this gluten free  :) . 

"Stomach noise — such as rumbling, gurgling and growling — typically is due to normal digestion. Stomach growling can occur when you're hungry. But it can also occur after eating or between meals when food is being digested."

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#8 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hi

If you read the MayoClinic link which you kindly supplied, it goes on to say that excessive stomach noise can be caused by underlying stomach condition like IBS, especially when accompanied by bloating, gas, etc. I should think celiac comes under this heading for sure!

I was undiagnosed for many years so my stomach came up with plenty of methods to show it's displeasure at what I was sending down for it.

Shows what a slow learner I was too  :ph34r: !

#9 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'd never really considered a noisy stomach to be indicative of any stomach problems, they just make noises sometimes, but then again I'd been undiagnosed for quite awhile. Regardless, the process of digesting food is going to be noisy. Maybe the differences you notice have something to do with how much water or liquid you've had, if you swallowed a lot of air when you ate (apparently a lot of air is why when you don't eat your stomach will be louder), if you've been sitting or standing or lying down. (I'd guess that it'd be less noisy if it's not as close to the outside of your body.)
Of all the things to be concerned about, this is not one of the ones I'm personally worried about.

Thanks, lots of valid points I hadn't thought of which are quite possible. I guess because my corn intolerance started out as a grumbling gut I am paranoid!
I might add though, the noises are coming from my duodenum and beginnings of smaller bowel. It's high up on the right side virtually all the time. It does make me feel uncomfortable. (But.. I honestly don't know if its just me worrying unduly?) I suspect it's a bit of both? Perhaps as I am still healing sometimes 'normal' food might annoy my upper gi from time to time!
I will say that one of the times I got it was after a pint of fruit smoothie :) fluid!!
I will keep an extra eye out and watch for your points!
Thank you

#10 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Seems pretty normal. I really notice it if I drink a big glass of water and then lay down.

http://www.mayoclini...h-noise/nu00189

Actually I know what you mean! I have noticed that also! It annoys me because the noises come from my upper right gi (prob duodenum)... So I assume that it's having a hard time with something. My corn intolerances grew from these kinds of noises. As much as I don't want to be paranoid (I don't want food ruling my life!) it's hard to ignore. Guess I'll wait and see? I'll try to ignore unless I see a pattern emerge!
Thanks for the link. I always forget to look at mayo!

#11 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hi
If you read the MayoClinic link which you kindly supplied, it goes on to say that excessive stomach noise can be caused by underlying stomach condition like IBS, especially when accompanied by bloating, gas, etc. I should think celiac comes under this heading for sure!

I was undiagnosed for many years so my stomach came up with plenty of methods to show it's displeasure at what I was sending down for it.
Shows what a slow learner I was too :ph34r: !

Yep me too. I think I must have been in reverse gear?!! I also assumed that I was worn out with motherhood and night vigils by my sons bed when he was asthmatic etc. I also assumed that as my husbands guts made dreadful noises, mine were normal!!
It wasn't until I was in utter despair and losing tons of weight very quickly that I thought that something was amiss. Me? Lose weight easily? Gotta be something up here!!
Kimmy

#12 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I get this once in a while. It has, apparently, nothing whatsoever to do with what I've

eaten. It will do it sometimes if I've gone too long without food and then eaten a lot.

Sometimes it does it for no apparent reason. One day a friend of mine thought it was

funny and teased me about something bursting out of my chest a la Aliens.... I think

tummies just make noise sometimes. On the other hand, I cannot remember my

stomach ever once making noise from being hungry. So go figure!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#13 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

I get this once in a while. It has, apparently, nothing whatsoever to do with what I've
eaten. It will do it sometimes if I've gone too long without food and then eaten a lot.
Sometimes it does it for no apparent reason. One day a friend of mine thought it was
funny and teased me about something bursting out of my chest a la Aliens.... I think
tummies just make noise sometimes. On the other hand, I cannot remember my
stomach ever once making noise from being hungry. So go figure!

! Thanks, well it seems I am not alone then?! Which is reassuring! And your friend is right! It does sometimes sound like there is a whole new life force going on in there, lol :)

Thank you all for replies

#14 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

My massive gurgles and bloating were due to SIBO, according to my GI. I did a round of antibiotics followed by probiotics and the gurgles pretty much went away.

Except I just got accidentally glutened, so now everything's back. :(

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#15 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

My massive gurgles and bloating were due to SIBO, according to my GI. I did a round of antibiotics followed by probiotics and the gurgles pretty much went away.

Except I just got accidentally glutened, so now everything's back. :(

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Does being glutened mean the SIBO comes back again? That's awful. I don't know much about SIBO, read up a little on what & why but didn't realise that a symptom was gurgling. Did you get the gurgling all the time after eating? I have been on probiotics on and off for a 3-4 months... My docs are pretty useless here in UK, I'm pretty much muddling through on my own.
Hmmmm. Maybe I should look into SIBO!
Thank you Gatita! :)
Ps. Are you Spanish?!
And hope it gets better again soon for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: