1 reply to this topic

#1 clairemarie

clairemarie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

I don't have a large food budget, so buying gluten-free bread is a rarity. The last time I had any Rudi's was December -- a few slices over the course of a few days visiting relatives. No problems, there. Tonight I found some of Rudi's cinnamon raisin bread on sale and picked up a loaf. After eating two slices with safe toppings, I felt immediately ill (weak, lots of bloating, fever brain, joint pain, etc...). This typically happens when I'm reacting to something that isn't necessarily a glutening but definitely has my body confused and freaked out.

Turns out the new recipe, though producing larger and nice slices of bread, now contains inulin. I suspect this might be the culprit since I haven't seen a lot of other people reporting any reaction. I've never quite sorted out why I react like this to certain fiber-rich foods, but I've definitely had adverse reactions to inulin in the past and wouldn't be terribly surprised... sad, but not shocked. 

Anyone else given the new Rudi's a go? It looks like they also eliminated sorghum flour in the change. I'm just curious if I'm the only one accidentally burned by the otherwise excellent change.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RudisGF

RudisGF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hello Clairmarie - We did recently update our Rudi's Gluten-Free sandwich bread to a new soft & yummy recipe.  While there were a few small ingredient changes, inulin was an ingredient in our old recipe and is still included in our new recipe. We have received the occasional feedback that some consumers are extra sensitive to this ingredient.  If you were able to eat our bread in the past, know that inulin was also in it, so this might not be what you are reacting to.  Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Thanks,

Maggie, Rudi's Glutne-Free Bakery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: