Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Big Sur Bakery -- Unbelievable (Bad) Attitude

7 posts in this topic

A friend invited me to brunch here (it's a restaurant, not just a bakery) and I was soooo looking forward to it until I checked out the menu (and reviews).

Here's their slogan, as printed on the menus: "no phony allergies, bogus intolerances, nutritional nonsense, or provincial preferences”

I'm sure the owner thinks that's oh-so-clever... They seem to believe that all allergies and intolerances are bogus -- and according to the online reviews I've seen, they mean it and won't budge to accommodate anyone.

So disappointed! I just sent them a message via fb asking if I am not welcome there, I'll see what they say.

Ads by Google:

A friend invited me to brunch here (it's a restaurant, not just a bakery) and I was soooo looking forward to it until I checked out the menu (and reviews).

Here's their slogan, as printed on the menus: "no phony allergies, bogus intolerances, nutritional nonsense, or provincial preferences”

I'm sure the owner thinks that's oh-so-clever... They seem to believe that all allergies and intolerances are bogus -- and according to the online reviews I've seen, they mean it and won't budge to accommodate anyone.

So disappointed! I just sent them a message via fb asking if I am not welcome there, I'll see what they say.

Doesn't sound like a very good restaurant. If they said that about people on wheel chairs or with Downs, it would be illegal.

kareng, that's what I thought! Kind of like accusing a disabled person of faking it...

Well, I just got this response:

you are most certainly welcome and wanted. we are happy to work

with people withj true dietary needs, and in fact most of our menus are
extremely celiac-friendly. due to the fact that we create our menu
items from scratch, our items usually don't contain gluten unless it is
bread or pizza. please let your server know when you arrive and they
will work through the menu with you.

Warm Regards,
Big Sur Bakery + Restaurant

Sooo....

I'm going to take the high road and assume they are joking (in poor taste) about the California intolerance "fakers" out there (yes, we have plenty of them grrr) and I will go check them out to see if they live up to their word.

Still pretty off-putting though...

Are you kidding me?  Why would a "friend" invite you to a gluten bakery for a meal, and then they have THIS "no bogus intolerances" right on their webpage ?

http://www.bigsurbakery.com/menus/

No, most of their menu is NOT celiac- friendly, by virtue that the building has always been a regular wheat flour bakery.  The cross contamination issues would be high with the flour dust everywhere, even IF you lucked out and didn't get a bad waiterstaff person and then the chefs had a clue.  Rather, take it as a warning the whole place is for glutenoids, (they don't seem to lack for upscale tourist customers)  and suggest an alternative venue.  

Are you kidding me?  Why would a "friend" invite you to a gluten bakery for a meal, and then they have THIS "no bogus intolerances" right on their webpage ?

http://www.bigsurbakery.com/menus/

No, most of their menu is NOT celiac- friendly, by virtue that the building has always been a regular wheat flour bakery.  The cross contamination issues would be high with the flour dust everywhere, even IF you lucked out and didn't get a bad waiterstaff person and then the chefs had a clue.  Rather, take it as a warning the whole place is for glutenoids, (they don't seem to lack for upscale tourist customers)  and suggest an alternative venue.  

Good points. For the record, my friend is a new friend and she doesn't know about my gluten intolerance and my wheat allergy -- yet!

I wouldn't go there just on principle!  Same as I feel about Martha Steward.  After her nasty comment about those with food issues i would never buy anything of her!!  

Oh wow....now that is in very poor taste.

Adding that to our family's - never eat there list!