6 replies to this topic

#1 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

A friend invited me to brunch here (it's a restaurant, not just a bakery) and I was soooo looking forward to it until I checked out the menu (and reviews).

Here's their slogan, as printed on the menus: "no phony allergies, bogus intolerances, nutritional nonsense, or provincial preferences”

I'm sure the owner thinks that's oh-so-clever... They seem to believe that all allergies and intolerances are bogus -- and according to the online reviews I've seen, they mean it and won't budge to accommodate anyone.

So disappointed! I just sent them a message via fb asking if I am not welcome there, I'll see what they say.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

A friend invited me to brunch here (it's a restaurant, not just a bakery) and I was soooo looking forward to it until I checked out the menu (and reviews).

Here's their slogan, as printed on the menus: "no phony allergies, bogus intolerances, nutritional nonsense, or provincial preferences”

I'm sure the owner thinks that's oh-so-clever... They seem to believe that all allergies and intolerances are bogus -- and according to the online reviews I've seen, they mean it and won't budge to accommodate anyone.

So disappointed! I just sent them a message via fb asking if I am not welcome there, I'll see what they say.

Doesn't sound like a very good restaurant. If they said that about people on wheel chairs or with Downs, it would be illegal.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

kareng, that's what I thought! Kind of like accusing a disabled person of faking it...

Well, I just got this response:

you are most certainly welcome and wanted. we are happy to work

with people withj true dietary needs, and in fact most of our menus are
extremely celiac-friendly. due to the fact that we create our menu
items from scratch, our items usually don't contain gluten unless it is
bread or pizza. please let your server know when you arrive and they
will work through the menu with you.

Warm Regards,
Big Sur Bakery + Restaurant

Sooo....

I'm going to take the high road and assume they are joking (in poor taste) about the California intolerance "fakers" out there (yes, we have plenty of them grrr) and I will go check them out to see if they live up to their word.

Still pretty off-putting though...

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Are you kidding me?  Why would a "friend" invite you to a gluten bakery for a meal, and then they have THIS "no bogus intolerances" right on their webpage ?

http://www.bigsurbakery.com/menus/

No, most of their menu is NOT celiac- friendly, by virtue that the building has always been a regular wheat flour bakery.  The cross contamination issues would be high with the flour dust everywhere, even IF you lucked out and didn't get a bad waiterstaff person and then the chefs had a clue.  Rather, take it as a warning the whole place is for glutenoids, (they don't seem to lack for upscale tourist customers)  and suggest an alternative venue.  

#5 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Are you kidding me?  Why would a "friend" invite you to a gluten bakery for a meal, and then they have THIS "no bogus intolerances" right on their webpage ?

http://www.bigsurbakery.com/menus/

No, most of their menu is NOT celiac- friendly, by virtue that the building has always been a regular wheat flour bakery.  The cross contamination issues would be high with the flour dust everywhere, even IF you lucked out and didn't get a bad waiterstaff person and then the chefs had a clue.  Rather, take it as a warning the whole place is for glutenoids, (they don't seem to lack for upscale tourist customers)  and suggest an alternative venue.  

Good points. For the record, my friend is a new friend and she doesn't know about my gluten intolerance and my wheat allergy -- yet!

#6 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I wouldn't go there just on principle!  Same as I feel about Martha Steward.  After her nasty comment about those with food issues i would never buy anything of her!!  

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Oh wow....now that is in very poor taste.

Adding that to our family's - never eat there list!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: