#1 jhol

jhol

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

ive been doing really well with the diet,

but this week felt a bit off- a bit dizzy, lethargic, not "with it" cant quite put my finger on whats wrong. so here,s all the things ive done differently.

i made soup again but this time i put peppers in plus a few chilli flakes and paprika.

i swapped my hazelnut milk for rice milk coz it had less " added extras"

ive been eating eggs - not a lover of them so dont eat them much -probably had  about 4 this week.

ive been eating these peanut butter puffs(crisps - like wotsits) really nice but said made on a line "that could have been used for gluten "

on tues i had the soup for dinner at work and then had one of those wiggly lines in eyes migranes ( i very rarely have these but with no pain )  this time i had a mild headache with it, have felt a bit crappy ever since. had it again for dinner today and had mild headache again.

the rash on my palms which has cleared up considerably, has started to harden up again and has started to peel/flake again.

not sure what im asking coz ive obviously got to sort this out myself- but if you can shed some light on this it would be appreciated. thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

That is a shopping list of possible causes.

Peppers, paprika, chile  = nightshade family; lots of us have problems with nightshades.

If the rice milk was Rice Dream, many have problems with that because it is filtered with barley, although supposedly no residuals.

Eggs are one of the biggie allergens, although no natural association with gluten.

You could be a "supersensitive" who can't eat things made on shared lines.

All you can do is cut all those categories out and try them individually.  (Incidentally, the nightshade family includes potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant.)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

I would suggest going back to how you were eating before and then just change only one thing per week.  It can take that long for a reaction to show up.  It takes patience, but it is better than being in the situation that you are in now where there are several possibilities and you don't know which one it is.  Believe me, I am familiar with that situation myself.  Be paitient, and I hope that you can figure it out.

#4 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

thanks,

got a feeling it was the peppers in the soup. got some left so i,ll try it again and see if i get the headache again. it wasnt rice dream so the rice milk should be ok. and as for the eggs, since i dont like them much i probably shouldnt be eating them anyway :)

#5 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Peanuts should be left in the ground where they belong ! I got pretty sick last time I ate some with rice crackers a few months ago. From your list I'll blame the peanuts and or peppers. 

If eggs are no problem eat tons of them, its the most nutrition you are going to get with a leaky gut.

#6 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

That is a shopping list of possible causes.

Peppers, paprika, chile  = nightshade family; lots of us have problems with nightshades.

If the rice milk was Rice Dream, many have problems with that because it is filtered with barley, although supposedly no residuals.

Eggs are one of the biggie allergens, although no natural association with gluten.

You could be a "supersensitive" who can't eat things made on shared lines.

All you can do is cut all those categories out and try them individually.  (Incidentally, the nightshade family includes potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant.)

hi mushroom,

hope this doesnt sound like a really stupid question-( i just need to see the answer in black and white)  but can you be a supersensitive when you havent been diagnosed with celiac? im really struggling with this non diagnosis thing and i know that your answer is gonna be yes- i just cant get my head round it. i was doing ok last week but i did basically live off homemade soup !! im veggie, no diary and gluten - so if im sensitive to nightshades, what the hell am i gonna eat :wacko: what do i put on my gluten free pasta, no jacket potatoes,no beans in tomato sauce!!! tomato,s are in all curry sauces, in fact most things contain tomato,s in some form!

i keep going from ok to having a proper stress out.

second stupid question- can you have a problem with one nightshade and not the others? coz i dont seem to have a problem with potatoes- or at least i havent noticed it yet.

im gonna try peppers again this week to test them. ive not had eggs this week and went back to the hazelnut milk, no peanut puffs.

i must admit i have noticed my joints feel a bit stiff this week and face rash seems very red and flakey.

thanks for replying- hope this doesnt sound too mixed up :)  

#7 Greebo115

Greebo115

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

hi mushroom,

hope this doesnt sound like a really stupid question-( i just need to see the answer in black and white) but can you be a supersensitive when you havent been diagnosed with celiac? im really struggling with this non diagnosis thing and i know that your answer is gonna be yes- i just cant get my head round it. i was doing ok last week but i did basically live off homemade soup !! im veggie, no diary and gluten - so if im sensitive to nightshades, what the hell am i gonna eat :wacko: what do i put on my gluten free pasta, no jacket potatoes,no beans in tomato sauce!!! tomato,s are in all curry sauces, in fact most things contain tomato,s in some form!
i keep going from ok to having a proper stress out.
second stupid question- can you have a problem with one nightshade and not the others? coz i dont seem to have a problem with potatoes- or at least i havent noticed it yet.
im gonna try peppers again this week to test them. ive not had eggs this week and went back to the hazelnut milk, no peanut puffs.
i must admit i have noticed my joints feel a bit stiff this week and face rash seems very red and flakey.

thanks for replying- hope this doesnt sound too mixed up :)

Hi jhol,
I'm in the UK too....also undiagnosed - I've given up on the NHS here...it's a very long story (which I may post in another thread one day), but I've self diagnosed Celiac - been living gluten-free since before last Christmas.

After the initial, fantastic, wonderful response to going gluten-free, I too started to notice further intolerances. So, now I'm:
Gluten free, grain free, nightshade free, dairy free, soy free, legume free (except, I've just been able to add back home prepared haricot beans - yay!).

I can empathise with the "WHAT THE HECK IS LEFT TO EAT?" feelings....I keep swinging between that and "it's all cool, there's plenty left to eat, and I feel so much better!". Today, I feel positive, so, I have a couple of foodie suggestions....
Soups are great - they get lots of nutrients into you - I've been making thick, blended (using a stick blender) soups. If you blend them, there's no need to add any thickeners. You can add any combination of veggies, beans, nuts, herbs, spices etc, whatever you can eat. and it's easily digested.

I'd love to be able to eat gluten-free pasta.....yum yum....but alas, not for me at the moment, but you could add some olive oil and salt and pepper, maybe some "fake cheese", or gluten-free pesto sauce. Or make a sauce by cooking some vegetables, blending them and pouring over - if you use lots of carrots in the mix, you can even fool yourself that it is tomato sauce, lol. Oh my, I could go on all day about things to put on pasta, lol.

I was hoping that I only had a reaction to potatoes (it was really obvious once the gluten was gone), but I initially cut out all the nightshades. Then tested them one by one.....potatoes is the worst for me, but after testing all the rest, I realise that I react to them all, just to a lesser extent - ho hum, hopefully it's not forever...it's early days yet. I think all you can do is test them yourself....

At first, (and because it was Christmas), I went and bought lots of processed gluten-free goodies.......wow, they really disagreed with me! I'm still not sure if it was because of all the intolerances I had yet to identify, or if I was sensitive to the low levels of gluten that is allowed into the processed gluten free foods here - I'm quite disturbed at the things you can find in the "gluten free" processed foods - just the other day I found "gluten free wheat bran" listed on an item!

Eventually I came to the conclusion that "if it comes in a packet with an ingredient list, it will make me ill", so now, I am eating only​ whole foods (plus a small host of gluten-free supplements including digestive enzymes) - so I'm finding that if I eat like a super-sensitive celiac, then I feel great. I suppose we all just have to do what works for us. Does the classification really matter?

Ok, so now I'm off to go daydream about other things I could eat on gluten-free pasta......one day, lol.

Edited by Greebo115, 28 February 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Obvious symptoms started as a baby with gastroenteritis....
Self - diagnosed celiac at age 41 - Gluten-free since December 2012, shortly after realised in needed to avoid:
Dairy, soy, all grains, all pseudo-grains, nightshades, legumes, MSG, xantham gum, all sugar alcohols.
Low sugar/refined carbs since Aug '08 due to reactive hypoglycemia.

22/03/13 Mung beans and blackeyebeans reintroduced successfully!

26/06/13 Some symptoms mysteriously returned - found loads of CC in my nuts and dried beans!! (verified by food/symptom journal and emails to companies)

26/11/13 After 2 weeks on crutches (again) realised that legumes cause my joints to inflame - it's undeniable....legumes gone!

#8 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi jhol,

I'm in the UK too....also undiagnosed - I've given up on the NHS here...it's a very long story (which I may post in another thread one day), but I've self diagnosed Celiac - been living gluten-free since before last Christmas.

After the initial, fantastic, wonderful response to going gluten-free, I too started to notice further intolerances. So, now I'm:

Gluten free, grain free, nightshade free, dairy free, soy free, legume free (except, I've just been able to add back home prepared haricot beans - yay!).

I can empathise with the "WHAT THE HECK IS LEFT TO EAT?" feelings....I keep swinging between that and "it's all cool, there's plenty left to eat, and I feel so much better!". Today, I feel positive, so, I have a couple of foodie suggestions....

Soups are great - they get lots of nutrients into you - I've been making thick, blended (using a stick blender) soups. If you blend them, there's no need to add any thickeners. You can add any combination of veggies, beans, nuts, herbs, spices etc, whatever you can eat. and it's easily digested.

I'd love to be able to eat gluten-free pasta.....yum yum....but alas, not for me at the moment, but you could add some olive oil and salt and pepper, maybe some "fake cheese", or gluten-free pesto sauce. Or make a sauce by cooking some vegetables, blending them and pouring over - if you use lots of carrots in the mix, you can even fool yourself that it is tomato sauce, lol. Oh my, I could go one all day about things to put on pasta, lol.

I was hoping that I only had a reaction to potatoes (it was really obvious once the gluten was gone), but I initially cut out all the nightshades. Then tested them one by one.....potatoes is the worst for me, but after testing all the rest, I realise that I react to them all, just to a lesser extent - ho hum, hopefully it's not forever...it's early days yet. I think all you can do is test them yourself....

At first, (and because it was Christmas), I went and bought lots of processed gluten-free goodies.......wow, they really disagreed with me! I'm still not sure if it was because of all the intolerances I had yet to identify, or if I was sensitive to the low levels of gluten that is allowed into the processed gluten free foods here - I'm quite disturbed at the things you can find in the "gluten free" processed foods - just the other day I found "gluten free wheat bran" listed on an item!

Eventually I came to the conclusion that "if it comes in a packet with an ingredient list, it will make me ill", so now, I am eating only​ whole foods (plus a small host of gluten-free supplements including digestive enzymes) - so I'm finding that if I eat like a super-sensitive celiac, then I feel great. I suppose we all just have to do what works for us. Does the classification really matter?

Ok, so now I'm off to go daydream about other things I could eat on gluten-free pasta......one day, lol.

hi greebo,

thanks for answering- just havin a bit of a strop this morning lol. im ok now. i dont eat much gluten free products just a bit of pasta and bread - not into cakes and biscuits. i dont like the fact that they are full of stuff that i dont know what it is - if that made sense. i have bought some of the gluten free pesto sauce so must try that and i,ll try the veggies poured over it. think im just gonna have to keep a food diary to keep a track of all these problem foods. i keep putting it off but it looks like im just gonna have to do some cooking and baking .

#9 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hiya
I am in the UK too :) I have been on whole foods since January too, and on an elimination diet. Just popped by to mention Doves Farm brown rice pasta. I have just managed to reintroduce it, yeah! I couldn't handle any of the pasta with corn/maize. Apologies if I missed a bit where you said you can't have rice...

BTW, I managed to get a non celiac gluten intolerance diagnosis, after negative blood and biopsy, then gene tests. I did a gluten challenge, and only lasted 3 weeks. My GI diagnosed me on that response, and a positive response to the gluten-free diet, and my medical history. I don't get food on prescription, but I wouldn't eat that stuff if you paid me. The NHS is tough to crack, it seems, and very dependent on who you happen to see.

I have a similar list of other intolerances, and am reintroducing one food a week. Tomorrow is potato, so fingers crossed. If that doesn't work I will.try eliminating the other nightshades.

Good luck with it all :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#10 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hiya
I am in the UK too :) I have been on whole foods since January too, and on an elimination diet. Just popped by to mention Doves Farm brown rice pasta. I have just managed to reintroduce it, yeah! I couldn't handle any of the pasta with corn/maize. Apologies if I missed a bit where you said you can't have rice...

BTW, I managed to get a non celiac gluten intolerance diagnosis, after negative blood and biopsy, then gene tests. I did a gluten challenge, and only lasted 3 weeks. My GI diagnosed me on that response, and a positive response to the gluten-free diet, and my medical history. I don't get food on prescription, but I wouldn't eat that stuff if you paid me. The NHS is tough to crack, it seems, and very dependent on who you happen to see.

I have a similar list of other intolerances, and am reintroducing one food a week. Tomorrow is potato, so fingers crossed. If that doesn't work I will.try eliminating the other nightshades.

Good luck with it all :)

im currently debating whether to do a gluten challenge- a bit worried though, i need a few days off together from work- just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: