2 replies to this topic

#1 mdonohue20

mdonohue20

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

2 weeks ago, I went in to see a new dr about several problems I was having, none of which include any GI symptoms. When she saw that I have Hoshimotos thyroidits, she had me tested for Celiacs. The test came back "negative" however, the antibodies were more than present, just not necessarily enough to make the test positive. Does this mean I have celiacs or not? I'm going to try gluten free and see if it helps, but I'd like to be a little more certain that I'm not just over worrying. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

The thing about tests is that there is always a "normal" range, anything above that is "abnormal". We all have certain antibodies, it has to do with the levels of tehm.

You can still go for the endoscopy if you do so wish. Some members have gotten a positive biopsy with negative blood tests before.

#3 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

2 weeks ago, I went in to see a new dr about several problems I was having, none of which include any GI symptoms. When she saw that I have Hoshimotos thyroidits, she had me tested for Celiacs. The test came back "negative" however, the antibodies were more than present, just not necessarily enough to make the test positive. Does this mean I have celiacs or not? I'm going to try gluten free and see if it helps, but I'd like to be a little more certain that I'm not just over worrying. Thank you!

what were the numbers, with ranges?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: