1 reply to this topic

#1 DutchGirl

DutchGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 4 weeks ago. My GI Doctor sent me a letter that my biopsy results came back showing that I have Celiac Disease and that I should begin a strict gluten free diet. Luckily I do a lot of reading so I've read up on how in depth my gluten free diet needs to be. But do I require any follow up care? Should I be seeing a doctor regularly for Celiac Disease? I feel like they gave me this diagnoses via a letter and then sent me off on my own.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Unfortunately, that's just about all the advice I got -- "just go gluten free and dairy free for the first six months". If I had not been my own advocate, I'd have never resolved my Vitamin D, B-12 and Folate deficiencies. I just kept going back to him and saying "test me for this now, please". and he did. Then, I found  a celiac-savvy GI doc and he was so upset at how long it took for me to be DXed and the lack of follow up care, that he insists on seeing me every 5 or 6 months. I had major complications from celiac disease and he did a barium follow- through study and tested me for Crohn's, IBD and checks my CBC, CMP, Thyroid, iron etc. every 6 months. In the fall, he is going to biopsy me.

Is all of this necessary? Probably not, but I was complicated..

Here is what Dr. Peter Green thinks about it:

"What annual follow-up care should the celiac patient be getting?

The most important thing is a good physical examination. Blood work, x-rays, CAT scans, mammograms and PSA tests, while valuable, do not replace a physical examination. The physical exam should include a breast exam for women, prostate exam for men, and a rectal exam for everyone. Blood work should include measurements of folic acid, calcium, and iron, and antibodies testing. Bone mineral density testing should be repeated annually for those with abnormal results, and every several years for those with normal results. Finally, patients with celiac disease should have at least one follow-up biopsy to confirm response–normalization of the biopsy sample. Patients who are non-responders, or whose clinical situation is somewhat confusing, may need more repeated biopsies at intervals."

FWIW, The book, Real Life with Celiac Disease by  by Melinda Dennis and Daniel Leffler

covers everything, including follow up care. I highly recommend it. You may want to get a copy.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: