2 replies to this topic

#1 TrentsMom

TrentsMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi there, my son Trent was diagnosed as a celiac at 6 months old. He is now only 8 months old and we're dealing with a lot of education, trial and error and many sleepless and screaming nights as we start our journey.
Our house and lives are making the transition to a diabetic (dh is a type 1 diabetic), kid friendly (picky eating 4 year old daughter) and now gluten free.
I'm having a difficult time finding many gluten free infant snacks. Baby and toddler mum mums have been great.
I live in Toronto Ontario and will be looking into some further assistance, support and guidance.
If anybody has and advice, tips, tricks etc. I'm all ears.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

If you're nursing, you need to gluten free as well.

With my daughter, though she doesn't have to be gluten free (as far as we can tell) I do, so she gets what I get.  We did BLW'ing, so no purees or packaged baby stuff.  She started with avocados, pears, sweet potato fries, roasted carrots, etc.  I highly encourage looking up more about baby-led weaning, as it means less cooking and separate stuff for you to do too!

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 TrentsMom

TrentsMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Trent is now 8 months. I did not nurse so he has been on formula since day 1. I have been making his baby food since he was 6 months.
Unlike many celiacs Trent is a big boy. 26 lbs at 8 months and very tall.
It's snacks I'm having a difficult time with. He already has 8 teeth so chewing isn't a major issue.
Unfortunately he has gone thru 4 days on gluten which I was unaware of. A friend made him stew which was cross contaminated. 4 days of screaming and now sleep for either of us. Is there anything comforting I can give a baby?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: