Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten-Free For 3 Months - Now Symptoms Again?

9 posts in this topic

I have been gluten-free for 3 months and I started to feel better after about a month and over the last 2 weeks I've started to feel really sick again.  I don't think I am getting cross-contaminated bc I am being really careful.  The rest of my family (husband and 3 kids) all eat gluten but I wash my hands after handling their food.  I am really, really hoping that I am not also sensitive to dairy.  I drink two smoothies a day as part of my diet plan to lose weight (visalus smoothies) and after cutting out so much already I don't want to cut out dairy. :(  How would I know if I have other sensitivities?  Or is it possible that I am getting cross-contaminated somehow?

Ads by Google:

Its always possible to get CC'd in a shared home.

Are teh smoothies safe?

Its always possible to get CC'd in a shared home.

Are teh smoothies safe?

I just went and read the ingredients.  The package says gluten-free but it does say it's processed on equipment that is used to process wheat products.  Is that a problem?  How do you avoid being CC'd? I am already doing my own toaster and things like peanut butter.  We make sure counters are wiped and things are cooked separately. I'm not going to forced my kids and husband to go gluten-free just because I have to.

The smoothie ingredients could be getting cross contaminated at the plant. Are you using a shared blender? That could do it too. Also, many people with gluten issues have trouble with casein, whether permanent or temporary. Maybe try no smoothies for a few days, them try some without the possibility of cross contamination.

It's more likely the lactose in the milk than the casein.  Just as a test, drink a glass of milk, or some ice cream, and see what happens.  If within an hour you find yourself in the bathroom, you can blame the lactose. :)

To find out if you have other sensitivities, you go to a very simple diet until your symptoms resolve.  This would be food in its basic form of meat, chicken, fish, egg, nuts, fruits, vegetables, good fats/oils, and perhaps one simple clean form of grain, such as plain cooked rice.   Then you would add in ONE ingredient at a time, and see what your reaction to it would be.  Where people screw this up is adding more than one thing in, and then they can't tell what the culprit is.  Or they eat out, and get slammed by a bad restaurant meal.  

The is a huge learning curve with gluten free diets, as individuals vary to reactions to cross contamination.

That being said, if your return of symptoms coincided with starting to drink these soy-protein smoothies that are sweetened artificially with sucralose (aka "Splenda", which can have its own side effects which include those mimicing celiac symptoms http://www.3fatchicks.com/five-health-side-effects-of-splenda-sucralose/  ) 

the answer is, perhaps, to drink something else. 

No, I've been drinking these smoothies all along, from day 1.  So it probably isn't that.  I don't know why the symptoms have come back.  I do notice that I react to some products that are labelled gluten free like Enjoy Life cookies or certain kinds of crackers and I can't figure out why.  I am going to try eating more natural foods and less gluten free products and see if that helps.  I also told my husband and kids that they need to be way more careful about crumbs and cleaning up after themselves.

I'm four months along and recently eliminated dairy from my diet. The experts recommend eliminating dairy for six months while the gut is healing. After six months, most can reintroduce dairy without any problems. I believe that I have a lot of sensitivities to food that the symptoms of gluten were covering up. You know when you have a big pain, you don't feel lesser pain? This is how it seems to be going for me.

Good luck on your journey.

Cali (and missing cheese!)

I personally don't believe cross-contamination is an issue. I think most often it's a reaction to another food and has nothing to do with contamination. If you have Celiac Disease, it's likely that you have secondary allergies to foods other than gluten. I experienced the same thing about a month of being gluten-free and vegan--I realized I was sensitive to all grains in addition to gluten and lactose/casein. I'd suggest trying to eliminate certain food groups for at least 2-3 weeks at a time (the longer the better) and see how it makes you feel. After that, you can try to slowly reintroduce foods to see how you react. It's likely that you're sensitive to either dairy or grains.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• They are big on selling books -. They try to spam a lot forums and FB groups. why can't you eat nuts, nut flours, quinoa, hummus and beans? I think I missed that. Those are a good source of protein.  If you can't digest lactose look for a lactose free cheese - like one made from yogurt. at first,I thought life was over.  But with a few years of experience, I have found it isn't that big of a deal. It helps to have an attitude of "I am not here for the food.  I am here for the wine ( or the company . ). Also helps to not care what people think - "I don't care if you think it's odd that I brought my own lunch to the funeral luncheon. "( And it helps that my lunch looks better than theirs lol.)
    • Gracey, It am a mother and I am going to give you some  valuable advice.  You need to keep and document everything related to your health.  Every lab test result, notes from your doctor's visits, etc.  Why?  Because only you are your best health advocate (except for your mom).  Doctors come and go, but it is up to you to manage your health.   When I changed insurance and doctors, I had copies of all my medical records in hand.  My new PCP was impressed.  There was no doubt that I had celiac disease, fractures, Hashimoto's and diabetes, anemia, etc.  I had physical proof.  As an result, she was quick to refer me to a new GI  and order tests to measure my progress  (e.g bone scans).  My family health history chart helped not just me, but other family members.   So, find out if biopsies were taken during your endoscopy.  Get the pathologist's report.  See if your doctor checked for other issues besides celiac disease.   Hugs!  
    • I don't do grieving, bad enough for something that's been taken away in the past but to know my future is pretty much gone now just feels too much. The only time I've forgot about the unfolding nightmare was during my hour or so of sport so need to cling onto that at the moment or I fear going to a very dark place indeed. Yup that SCD site is terrifying, still can't make up my mind if they're giving out useful information to genuinely help people or using scare tactics to sell their books etc. 
    • I agree with all the advice you have been given.  It is excellent!   I just want to add that things will get better.  There is a huge grieving process to go through.  Do not fight it.  You have a right to grieve as your health and lifestyle will change, but you will adapt!  Exercise gently until you feel a bit better.  There is plenty of time to exercise hard later.  Taken this advice from a gal who just rode 40 miles (no biggie you say) this morning  on her bike through the Santa Ana winds (better known as the Devil's winds!).  But I am three years into my recovery.  I took it easy the first six months because I was anemic.  I teach few exercise classes, bike, swim and run and I am in my 50's.   The SCD website?  It can scare the (bleep) out of you.  There was one point that I took from the site and that was to stick to whole nourishing foods.  No rocket science -- just common sense.    
    • Thanks for the replies so far everyone, much appreciated Great, another doctor gets it wrong, how many more times can they make a mess of this diagnosis process?! Bloating had gone down a bit in these first few days of cutting the gluten so I guess expect that to come back. It's one way to have a farewell tour of the gluten foods I guess - if a little or a lot makes no difference may as well go all-in... The doctors didn't diagnose this at all, Google did. If I trusted in the health professionals I'd be blaming the symptoms all on stress and having counselling for it whilst the fire raged on inside me due to a clinical condition they'd missed. Just glad one of doctors agreed to run the test on second time of asking to keep me quiet as much as anything. Believe me I've read that newbie thread multiple times, as well as numerous others around the web. Been doing nothing but since Tuesday when the blood test results came back and each time I go into the comments sections a little bit more of me gives up inside. Seems so many don't ever heal and so many associated complications too. The reality looks bleak apart from a lucky few it seems. In the nicest possible way the vegetarian choice is non-negotiable, it's a core part of what I believe and the thought of eating any form of animal \ fish flesh would make me physically sick (sorry meat eaters) so will have to find some way around it, how I don't know yet. Perhaps lots of this... http://www.pulsin.co.uk/pea-protein-isolate.html The cooking bit is a concern as it's something none of us do well at home, adds to the feeling of being completely lost right now. I kick myself for the decision that lead to the stress as I could've avoided all this. The only thing I can cling onto there is that I was having some pains in the side before that time which I blamed on a muscle strain... maybe that was the early stages, in which case I could feel a bit better knowing it had just come on gradually. With the biopsy and gluten from what I read the villi take a long time to heal up so they'd still see that. With the blood test result as definitive as it was surely the disease is pretty much confirmed? How can it heal enough for non eating gluten to throw a biopsy result yet on the flip side take over a year to heal (that sounds like the best case scenario time-wise from what I've read). Not suggesting anyone is wrong for one second but need to understand how that works with what's going on inside to make any sense of this situation.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jross69