4 replies to this topic

#1 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I just noticed that on the packaging of some Amy's products it says that it is made in a facility that also processes wheat products and other allergens.  Does that mean there could be cross-contamination?  I have been eating the products and I am worried that it might be part of the reason why my symptoms are coming back.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

You can read a statement about their manufacturing processes on their website. http://www.amys.com/...al-diets/celiac  I am going to again, quote a wise woman in stating that the world is a shared facility. Based on your comfort level with any certain manufacturer, you must make your own choices on whether or not you will eat products from a shared facility. Remember though, that unless you are eating no packaged foods at all, you are almost certainly eating foods from shared facilities as there is no requirement to label that things are manufactured in a facility that... insert your concern here. My best recommendation is always to contact the company personally, as I always gauge my personal comfort level with a company on personal experience and contact.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi smpalesh, I'm wondering which types of Amy's you're eating. I suppose it's been awhile since I've seen posts about Amy's frozen foods being problematic for the posters but I also haven't been reading as much here lately. For years it just kept coming up. Never saw much about their other lines. Does anyone know if they changed? Any long-timer REtry an Amy's frozen years after thinking they were a potential cc source? I've been tempted, but I don't think I even got as far as checking the ingred list for everything else I don't eat. -_-
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I just noticed that on the packaging of some Amy's products it says that it is made in a facility that also processes wheat products and other allergens.  Does that mean there could be cross-contamination?  I have been eating the products and I am worried that it might be part of the reason why my symptoms are coming back.

The best way to find out would be to eliminate them and see what happens.  Different celiacs have different sensitivity levels.  Some have problems with those kinds of products and some don't.  (I do.)

#5 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

If anyone does try them again, please report back.  I have avoided Amy's based on posts from a ways back.  No good for me to try again.....I have no discernible symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: