Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Heavy Breathing, Eyes Water, Clamy

5 posts in this topic

Sometimes if its been a while since I accidentally ate gluten, I breathe heavy for maybe 5 minutes and my eyes water. Its not an allergic reaction, almost like a minor panic attack. It isnt really a mental thing, I dont think about it, it just happens. After this happens I can have a lot of gluten the next day and it won't get this reaction again, until its been a long time. I don't know if I have full blown celiac or sensitivity. I am not allergic to wheat or anything else though. I also sometimes get a stye if Ive been glutened.

Do these things happen to anyone else?

Ads by Google:

Oh, I get styes.  I had never placed them in a gluten reaction category.  I would have to think about it.

Hi Buckwheat

Gluten alters my breathing - kind of heavy as if slightly laboured, not getting enough oxygen, sort of thing.

Also makes my heart beat heavily.

I know what you mean about it feeling like a panic attack, but it is in fact a gluten reaction - I think it is my body becoming stressed by gluten arriving in the system! I get it now with a hint of cc, so very sensitive. Pre - glutenfree it was all the time and was just how I was, if you see what I mean :( .

Have never had a stye, fortunately.

You mention in your title clammy (?) - is this as in hot?

Anyway, gluten (especially) but also other food intolerances give me a hot flush within a few minutes.

I guess that this too is a stress reaction to the food and I imagine it is caused by a rise in cortisol (stress) giving a hot flush.

I'm not diagnosed, but I experience the same thing - heavy breathing, yawning, my body acting like I just cannot get enough oxygen. Because I yawn so much in this attacks, my eyes water like mad. 

Never associated it with gluten, I was considering it might be related to salt intake.