Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Shopping For Gluten Free Food Is So Frustrating

5 posts in this topic

I've been gluten free for three weeks now and i'm having the hardest time finding gluten free food in a grocery store that mostly sales gluten products. 

Ads by Google:

I've been gluten free for three weeks now and i'm having the hardest time finding gluten free food in a grocery store that mostly sales gluten products. 

It really isn't that hard unless you're trying to depend on processed packaged stuff. These are all gluten free: meat, vegetables, fruit, potatoes, rice, beans, legumes, cheese, eggs, yogurt (read the label of course...ones with fiber may not be gluten free), other grains (quinoa, for example), chocolate (an important food group ;)  ). You can make an awful lot of meals with any combination of those things.

Then, of the already-packaged but not specialty gluten free things, several come to my mind immediately: many Progresso soups, those ready-to-eat Hormel stews, many canned beans, canned vegetables, tuna, other canned meats (salmon, etc.), lunch meat, peanut butter, jelly...

Throw in a loaf of gluten free Udi's bread (most mainline grocery stores have this in their frozen section) and that should get you meals for awhile.

thanks so much it has

If you ate a lot of processed foods before this could be a great opportunity to have a better diet, wholesome healthy foods instead of processed junk.