This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mayonnaise

S-EBarr

S-EBarr Rookie

I LOVE Mayonnaise! I can still have it right?? Cause some of the things I am hearing is that Mayonnaise is not good to have.

Thanks!

Beth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

best foods mayo is gluten-free

Guest jhmom

Hi Beth:

Duke's regular Mayonnaise is gluten-free, here is their website to view the ingredients of all their mayo's

Open Original Shared Link

Also, Hellman's is gluten-free

lauradawn Explorer

Kraft's mayo is also gluten-free

Connie R-E Apprentice

It's super easy to make with a Braun handblender, and egg, and a lot of oil!! ;)

Connie

gf4life Enthusiast

Connie,

Do you have the recipe for mayonnaise??

I am having trouble finding mayo that is soy free. But I do have a hand blender and if I could make my own then that would be great. I only use mayo for sandwiches and tuna, but I am trying so hard to avoid soy that I would like to find a mayo recipe that would work for me.

Also, if you refridgerate it, how long will it last before going bad??

God bless,

Mariann

plantime Contributor

Does anyone know if mayo can be made without eggs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Dessa, I'm pretty sure that eggs are absolutely essential to a traditional mayonnaise, but if you're concerned about salmonella, I believe pasteurized egg product will work. Or, if you need to avoid all eggs but you can have soy, I have seen several recipes that use tofu to make a mayonnaise-like spread. I hope this helps!

ROYAL BLUE Apprentice

My son uses" Community Eggless Mayonaise", from Spectum Organics. They told me it was also gluten-free.

Tracy

plantime Contributor

I have to avoid all egg and poultry. The migraine just is not worth eating them! Thanks for the info, I will be looking for these things!

tarnalberry Community Regular

You can also use sour cream in place of mayonnaise for most things. (Particularly organic sour cream, which tends to be less solid than the "regular store brand".) I like it better than mayo for tuma. (I use a yogurt/sour cream mixture for tuna, and it adds just a touch of tang that's all good. :-) )

plantime Contributor

I really don't like sour cream, but I can get used to it! I am sometimes feeling pretty desperate for variety!

Aightball Apprentice

Miracle Whip is also fine. It's just the traditional stuff and I've never had a problem with it. That is one of the things that I was thrilled not to have to give up, since it's my favourite thing to dip things in next to ranch. Due to my dairy allergies, I've had to give up ranch :(.

kejohe Apprentice

Mariann, here is a recipe for mayo:

3 egg yolks

2 tsp lemon juice, plus more to taste

any acceptable oil (pick one that is relatively flavorless, like canola, grapeseed, or vegetable)

salt to taste

sugar to taste

You can make it by hand with a soft whisk, or in a food processor, or with a hand blender. Combine yolks with the lemon juice and whip until pale. While whisking or blending constantly, drizzle in oil until you reach the desired consistancy, you may need 2 or 3 cups of oil (the more oil you add the thicker it will become). Season to taste with salt, sugar and additional lemon juice.

FYI, this doesn't taste like comercially prepared mayo, but if you like hollandaise sauce, you'll like this. The preservatives and vinegars they put in the commercially prepared stuff makes it sweeter than this kind.

Here are a few ideas for you:

To make your own tartar sauce, combine the above "mayo" with minced sweet pickles or cornichons, chives, garlic, parsley and if you like, tarragon and dill.

To make a dip for fried shrimp or crab cakes, mix the above mayo with garlic, pureed or minced roasted red pepper, minced basil and shallots.

For an herbed sandwich spread, or dip, mix the above mayo with garlic, basil, chives, tarragon, parsley, shallots.

For all of these you should season to taste with lemon juice, salt & pepper.

Enjoy!

Connie R-E Apprentice

Hi Mariann,

Sorry it's taken me soo long to get back to you! I had my baby last week--a beautiful boy! :P

Thanks kejohe for the recipie ideas! They look great!

I usually just use one whole egg and about a cup+ of sunflower oil for the basic recipe. The main thing is to get a lot of air into the mix by slowly pumping the hand blender up and down. If it disn't look like anything, just add more oil and keep going! It should start to look like mayo with enough oil and air! You can make it really, really thick if you like.

It does take a bit of practice ;)

After I get the basic mayo going, then I add what ever flavor I wish. I like pressed garlic, salt, lemon juice, sugar and dill.

Good luck with the mayo!!

Connie

kejohe Apprentice

Hi Connie! I have never tried making mayo using a whole egg, I was taught by my chef/professors that it wouldn't work because of the albumin in the whites being a different consistancy than the yolk. However, I have found them to be wrong an a few other issues as well, though not tt many. It sounds more like a salad dressing mix because you talk about getting the "air" in the mixture. The yolk method emulsifies the oil and the yolk without air, so it's really easy for first time mayo makers, because you don't need the speed of a mixer, you can just use a whisk if you want.

The only thing I want to mention for everyone elses benifit, is that when using egg yolks, like in my recipe, it is essential to add the lemon juice or other acid (such as vinegar or wine, or a combination) at the begining. It is necessary to denature the protiens so that they become able to emulsify with the oil. I think when you use the egg with the white, the whites do the work of emulsification, so you can get away with adding it later, if you mixter if fast enough, but I don't know how that would stand up over time, or if it would begin to separate. Connie could probably answer that question. Also, drizzle in the oil slowly, so the eggs have a chance to blend well.

Good Luck all!

Guest aramgard

Connie, I'm so glad to see someone else uses sunflower oil and dill weed. I love dill weed in everything, potato salad, cole slaw, whatever. And the sunflower oil leaves a nice taste without the heavy tast of olive oil. However---we use olive oil for all other oil uses. Give your baby boy a big smooch from all of us. Shirley

Connie R-E Apprentice

It works great for me, probably because I was never taught... Kinda a happy blunder ;) (You should see how I make a cheese sauce!! :o )

The mayo doesn't seperate, lasts for days, but you do need a high speed hand mixer.

Thanks for all your input!

Connie

S-EBarr Rookie

Thanks for all the replies!

Beth

Archived