18 replies to this topic

#1 S_EBarr

S_EBarr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:10 PM

I LOVE Mayonnaise! I can still have it right?? Cause some of the things I am hearing is that Mayonnaise is not good to have.

Thanks!
Beth
Gluten Free since Feb 2004!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

best foods mayo is gluten-free
Molly

#3 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:22 PM

Hi Beth:

Duke's regular Mayonnaise is gluten-free, here is their website to view the ingredients of all their mayo's

Dukes Mayo

Also, Hellman's is gluten-free

#4 lauradawn

lauradawn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:29 PM

Kraft's mayo is also gluten-free

#5 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:49 AM

It's super easy to make with a Braun handblender, and egg, and a lot of oil!! ;)

Connie

#6 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:15 AM

Connie,

Do you have the recipe for mayonnaise??

I am having trouble finding mayo that is soy free. But I do have a hand blender and if I could make my own then that would be great. I only use mayo for sandwiches and tuna, but I am trying so hard to avoid soy that I would like to find a mayo recipe that would work for me.

Also, if you refridgerate it, how long will it last before going bad??

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#7 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:17 AM

Does anyone know if mayo can be made without eggs?
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#8 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:30 PM

Dessa, I'm pretty sure that eggs are absolutely essential to a traditional mayonnaise, but if you're concerned about salmonella, I believe pasteurized egg product will work. Or, if you need to avoid all eggs but you can have soy, I have seen several recipes that use tofu to make a mayonnaise-like spread. I hope this helps!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#9 ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:20 PM

My son uses" Community Eggless Mayonaise", from Spectum Organics. They told me it was also gluten-free.

Tracy

#10 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:34 AM

I have to avoid all egg and poultry. The migraine just is not worth eating them! Thanks for the info, I will be looking for these things!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:00 AM

You can also use sour cream in place of mayonnaise for most things. (Particularly organic sour cream, which tends to be less solid than the "regular store brand".) I like it better than mayo for tuma. (I use a yogurt/sour cream mixture for tuna, and it adds just a touch of tang that's all good. :-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:20 AM

I really don't like sour cream, but I can get used to it! I am sometimes feeling pretty desperate for variety!
Dessa

#13 Aightball

Aightball

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:48 AM

Miracle Whip is also fine. It's just the traditional stuff and I've never had a problem with it. That is one of the things that I was thrilled not to have to give up, since it's my favourite thing to dip things in next to ranch. Due to my dairy allergies, I've had to give up ranch :(.

#14 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:11 PM

Mariann, here is a recipe for mayo:

3 egg yolks
2 tsp lemon juice, plus more to taste
any acceptable oil (pick one that is relatively flavorless, like canola, grapeseed, or vegetable)
salt to taste
sugar to taste

You can make it by hand with a soft whisk, or in a food processor, or with a hand blender. Combine yolks with the lemon juice and whip until pale. While whisking or blending constantly, drizzle in oil until you reach the desired consistancy, you may need 2 or 3 cups of oil (the more oil you add the thicker it will become). Season to taste with salt, sugar and additional lemon juice.

FYI, this doesn't taste like comercially prepared mayo, but if you like hollandaise sauce, you'll like this. The preservatives and vinegars they put in the commercially prepared stuff makes it sweeter than this kind.

Here are a few ideas for you:

To make your own tartar sauce, combine the above "mayo" with minced sweet pickles or cornichons, chives, garlic, parsley and if you like, tarragon and dill.

To make a dip for fried shrimp or crab cakes, mix the above mayo with garlic, pureed or minced roasted red pepper, minced basil and shallots.

For an herbed sandwich spread, or dip, mix the above mayo with garlic, basil, chives, tarragon, parsley, shallots.

For all of these you should season to taste with lemon juice, salt & pepper.

Enjoy!
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#15 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:49 AM

Hi Mariann,

Sorry it's taken me soo long to get back to you! I had my baby last week--a beautiful boy! :P

Thanks kejohe for the recipie ideas! They look great!

I usually just use one whole egg and about a cup+ of sunflower oil for the basic recipe. The main thing is to get a lot of air into the mix by slowly pumping the hand blender up and down. If it disn't look like anything, just add more oil and keep going! It should start to look like mayo with enough oil and air! You can make it really, really thick if you like.

It does take a bit of practice ;)

After I get the basic mayo going, then I add what ever flavor I wish. I like pressed garlic, salt, lemon juice, sugar and dill.

Good luck with the mayo!!
Connie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: