1 reply to this topic

#1 e.ramos

e.ramos

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have a question about my DD's test results, hoping someone will have some insight :)
Dd is 17 months old and grain-free(for approx. 1yr) due to constipation issues (I recently allowed her TTO try some gluten as a food challenge and she was immediately co satiated once again, and spit up twice). I recently had a blood panel done to test for celiacs and although she is grain-free, I do consume grains/gluten so was assuming that her getting that through my breast milk would be enough for an accurate test. However, I am wondering if that was not enough, or perhaps since she is so young she does to have enough antibodies to register! I'm still new to all this :)
Anyhow, she registered only a 1 on the IgG and IgA on the transglutaminase tests. It says <6 is "no antibodies detected. But what is a "1" ? Is that still a sensitivity, considering she did not have gluten in her direct diet at the time?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

If she isn't eating gluten, she can't make antibodies.  I think the <6 means that some people may make a tiny bit or more likely, its just a margin of error in the test.  A 1 wouldn't mean anything.

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

"At what age should children get tested for celiac disease?

Generally, children are screened for celiac disease at age 2 or 3 unless symptoms are seen beforehand. In children younger than 3, with symptoms, antibody testing may not always be accurate. Children must be eating wheat or barley-based cereals for some time, up to one year, before they can generate an autoimmune response to gluten that shows up in testing. A pediatric gastroenterologist should evaluate young children experiencing a failure to thrive or persistent diarrhea for celiac disease."

http://www.curecelia...n-breast-milk-2

"Is gluten found in breast milk?

There is little to no human research about the effect of gliadin, which is the portion of gluten that passes through breast milk. However, in animal studies it has been shown to have a protective effect, or help the child build up a tolerance to gluten.

We don’t know for certain, but the best evidence we have indicates that a child who is at risk for celiac disease being breastfed by a mother who eats a normal diet would not be harmed by this, and in fact, might be helped.

Regardless, we do know when it is best to introduce gluten into the at-risk child’s diet. For more details on that, please see our Winter 2010 newsletter."

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: