This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Honey

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good and safe honey?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Safe?  I have never seen a honey was was not gluten free, if that's your concern.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Generally speaking, its safe. I can't remember the name of the jug i've been using. I'll look and post in a bit.

I only say that because i saw someone once claiming that it was cc'd by soy or something. Of all the brands i've tried, i've never had an issue.

GFreeMO Proficient

Open Original Shared Link

Looking for a true honey.

kareng Grand Master

I buy a local honey at the grocery.   If you bought something from local farms, that should take care of if it is made in India.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I use rices lucky clover honey. It is raw and unfiltered. I buy a five lb jug for i think less then twenty dollars at sams club.

It has been tested as a "true" honey. Its explained on their website.

GFreeMO Proficient

I use rices lucky clover honey. It is raw and unfiltered. I buy a five lb jug for i think less then twenty dollars at sams club.

It has been tested as a "true" honey. Its explained on their website.

Thank you!  That is exactly what I am looking for too. Local for me as well.  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Thank you!  That is exactly what I am looking for too. Local for me as well.  :)

It has a better flavor than some others i've tried. I go through quite a bit of it.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have had problems with all sorts of honeys but did well with Volcano Island honey.  It is very expensive though, so if you can find another one, that would be better.  They have also just changed ownership and I don't know what the new owners might change about the process.  The former owners had some descriptions on their site about what they do to not have to use some of the methods that are usually used that might be why I had problems. 

Even though this is the super sensitive section I will comment that I am extremely sensitive and honey is considered gluten free for typical celiacs.

kareng Grand Master

I commented because she seemed to be less worried about debating if honey would have gluten in it and more worried it was junk from India that was pretending to be honey.

The mall has some honey:

shadowicewolf Proficient

India junk? explain please... :wacko:

kareng Grand Master

India junk? explain please... :wacko:

From the article she posted

"Food Safety News decided to test honey sold in various outlets after its Open Original Shared Link found U.S. groceries flooded with Indian honey banned in Europe as unsafe because of contamination with antibiotics, heavy metal and a total lack of pollen which prevented tracking its origin."

Lisa Mentor

This whole thread has really grossed me out.  I will look at honey with a new perspective from now on. :huh:

Do you buy honey that has been so purified, that it's not even be considered "honey".  Or honey with all sorts  of junk in it....hive, bee parts, etc. ?  And banned imported "honey"?

Guess I'll stick to my local bee farmer from now on.

shadowicewolf Proficient

So then my honey should be good? Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

So then my honey should be good? Open Original Shared Link

Looks local to me.  The article listed some brands that were problematic, if I remember.

I don't even think this really had anything to do with gluten.  Its sort fo the honey equivalent to meat red slime stuff. It doesn't contain gluten but its gross and not what you thought you were buying.

jerseyangel Proficient

This whole thread has really grossed me out. I will look at honey with a new perspective from now on. :huh:

Gad, me too!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I commented because she seemed to be less worried about debating if honey would have gluten in it and more worried it was junk from India that was pretending to be honey.

The mall has some honey:

Kareng, my comment wasn't a reflection on you at all.  I wanted people who didn't notice that this was the super sensitive section to know that they don't have to worry about honey.  It is so easy to click on new topics and not notice that you are in the super sensitive section. 

Archived