22 replies to this topic

#16 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Interesting, I haven't had jaw pain since being gluten-free.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Awww (((Bartfull)))....

To the OP, I have been on the South Beach Diet's Phase 1 (which is pretty close to Paleo except you can have beans, which makes me happy and I am lucky that they agree with me). But other than that, the diet has no grains or sugars. I am doing it to lose weight and also to control my SIBO, which I believe is the result of my gluten intolerance.

I really enjoyed the diet and lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks, yay! But I gained a few lbs. back when I was being stupid and went off it after my 'scopes last week. Am back on as of today.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#18 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hugs Bartfull - hope you feel better soon...

I have been basically primal (with the exception of dark chocolate, possibly without refined sugar, and fermented dairy) since after Thanksgiving, which I spent at some friends' - thus resulting in CCing and bad soy'ing.

I haven't lost weight - which I need to - but I do feel a lot better on this diet. I can't have too many nuts because they don't agree with my tummy, and to be true I don't often eat potatoes because I don't particularly care for them. I am not doing the macronutrient ration, though. I have upped my protein intake, and that helps, though. I am still struggling with swelling, though. And getting very frustrated.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#19 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I have been doing Primal off and on since July.  Lost 15 lbs. but right now I'm gaining :(.  Ya'll should check out Mark's Daily Apple website.  I beleive this lifestyle is the best for us Celiacs/NCGS.

#20 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Ndw, the jaw thing is unrelated except that whenever I get glutened (or corned), it gets worse. I have a lump about the size of a chicken egg on the bottom of my jawbone about halfway between my chin and the hinge. It is as hard as a rock. Sometimes my face swells to huge proportions and I look like I have mumps. The pain and the swelling don't always coincide though. Sometimes it LOOKS terrible but doesn't hurt. Sometimes it doesn't look bad but the pain is intense. The lump never goes away though.

The doctors say it is either a benign cyst, a cancerous tumor, or a bone infection. I need an MRI to know for sure but I have no insurance and no way to pay for the MRI or the surgery which will undoubtedly follow. I doubt it is cancer because it's been going on for so long I'd be dead by now if it were. Whatever it is, when it flares up the pain is unbearable. There is the constant ache, but also sharp shooting pains that sometimes last for a few seconds, sometimes for longer. I have to admit, sometimes I gasp, sometimes I whine, and a few times I have screamed.

This time I have had fever along with the pain and swelling. I am so exhausted and feel so weak. But I DID make it through the whole day at work today so maybe I'm on my way up and out. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#21 MissyShelle

MissyShelle

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

I am also curious in the Paleo diet. I have not been diagnosed yet, but symptoms wise, I'm absolutely miserable. I also notice anytime I have any sort of wheat product, I feel worse. I'm also currently dealing with a rash that won't go away and if I have anything with gluten, it's even worse. So I know I need to have some gluten in me for the testing, but I'll stick to a piece of bread a day. 

I guess maybe I'm lucky. I'm at a point I am so miserable that if I do see anything with gluten in it, I don't even want to go near it. I just want to feel better. 

#22 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

I am grainless and don't anticipate using it ever again.  I have been using nut flours and buckwheat and I really enjoy my food.

Diana

#23 myquest7846

myquest7846

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

I too found that the Paleo diet was easy to follow.  Being diagnosed 2 yrs ago with Celiac was a shocker to me because I had no stomach "disruptions" like other people.  But osteoporosis, migraines, anemia was a way of life for me till I finally found the right gastroenterologist .

Now anemia and migraines have gone almost completely.  And the "doofies" as I like to call them - dizziness, stumbling, and tiredness have all disappeared.  Wish I had known before I was falling about 4 times a week, sprains and a broken hand resulted.

In regard to the nutrionists I had the same experience - I felt the whole time I was teaching them.  I think the only way a nutritionist for celiacs should qualify is to actually have the disease themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: