This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If You Have Another Autoimmune Disorder...

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

Hey there! I thought this would be an interesting question to ask. I also wonder because since going gluten-free my psoriasis has continually gotten worse. I am definitely gluten-free, and my last blood work came back normal. Perhaps my body is going crazy on my skin since it is no longer attacking my intestines?! I'm not sure...but wanted to see if anyone else's additional autoimmune disorder or disease had gotten worse since going gluten-free...even if it was only for a period of time. Gracias! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Does dairy free help with that?

elisabet Contributor
Does dairy free help with that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

for my son It helped both diary free and soy free,but it is so difficult.

Guest Viola

Hi, my psoriasis seemed to get worse for the first year or two ... I think because I was so stressed out over the new diet, plus changing houses and other family stuff. But after that it continued to get better until now I only get it when some crises pops up. Also It does tend to show up in small patches in the hot humid days during the summer.

My arthritis improved after diagnosis, but now as I get older it is starting to get worse again.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

My husband was dx with Psoriatic Arthritis about 2 yrs before celiac disease.

Psoriatic Arthritis is very similar to rheumatoid arthritis.

Anyhow ,the arthritis was very painful,very aggresive flare ups and he had a general decline in health.

Since going gluten-free a year ago-his psoriasis has disappeared completely-and has only had niggles in his joints(touch wood!)

The arthritis is still there-but no where as debilitating pre gluten-free. :)

redheadheather Explorer
for my son It helped both diary free and soy free,but it is so difficult.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're dairy and soy free as well as gluten-free w/your son? MY son was diagnosed w/milk and soy allergies as an infant - but we were told he outgrew them because he has no skin reactions to them anymore. What are your typical meals for your son? How old is he? I'm going to bring up these issues w/my son's doctor when we see them next week (how we know he's *really* outgrown these allergies, etc).

Thanks!

julie5914 Contributor

Apparently YES! I had had some mild thyroid troubles before going gluten free and have been wondering all this time, isn't that supposed to get better, but it is getting worse. Then I wonder if maybe I am noticing it more since my intestines are more happy, but I don't think that's it. Headaches came back worse, fatique is often worse and muscle pain and achiness is worse! What a trade off. I am waiting on a slew of blood test results to see if we can figure out what's going on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

I wonder if maybe some of your headaches are due to gluten withdrawl .. something like caffine withdrawl causes headaches as well. I can remember getting headaches years ago, but can't remember if it was before or after I started the diet. Now I only get them if I have to skip my morning coffee :rolleyes: Also I find a good many Celiacs have problems with bouts of depression, would that cause headaches? Certainly stress does if we are dealing with family or friends that won't help, or at the very least co-operate with food issues.

Just some thoughts <_<

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Apparently YES! I had had some mild thyroid troubles before going gluten free and have been wondering all this time, isn't that supposed to get better, but it is getting worse. Then I wonder if maybe I am noticing it more since my intestines are more happy, but I don't think that's it. Headaches came back worse, fatique is often worse and muscle pain and achiness is worse! What a trade off. I am waiting on a slew of blood test results to see if we can figure out what's going on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Julie,

What kind of thyroid problems did you have? Were you Hypo? Do you take meds?

When I went gluten-free I got headaches and hairloss related to overactive thyroid. It was because more of my meds were being absorbed as I started to heal. I had to decrease the dose.

maxcarr Newbie
Julie,

What kind of thyroid problems did you have? Were you Hypo? Do you take meds?

When I went gluten-free I got headaches and hairloss related to overactive thyroid. It was because more of my meds were being absorbed as I started to heal. I had to decrease the dose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Rachel, I have hypo too, and was diagnosed with celiac about 18 months ago - but I'm now having my hair fall out quite a bit (again) ...I guess time to get the thyroid levels checked!

judy05 Apprentice
Hey there!  I thought this would be an interesting question to ask.  I also wonder because since going gluten-free my psoriasis has continually gotten worse.  I am definitely gluten-free, and my last blood work came back normal.  Perhaps my body is going crazy on my skin since it is no longer attacking my intestines?!  I'm not sure...but wanted to see if anyone else's additional autoimmune disorder or disease had gotten worse since going gluten-free...even if it was only for a period of time.  Gracias!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My auto immune disease got worse, I developed type 2 Diabetes! Before that I had to have half of my thyroid removed because it was destroying itself. I also get bad headaches from allergies but my migraines have lessened. You name it, I've had it. The only thing that helps is the gluten-free diet and exercise. I thank God I am losing weight so maybe the diabetes will get better without having to take medication.They say when one organ goes, they all go. Remember the skin is condidered an organ too.

jenvan Collaborator

Judy- interesting thoughts on developing diabetes... makes me wonder--maybe my skin is also worse b/c now i am absorbing more carbs, sugar etc...which is related to one of the theories for psoriasis. hmm...

julie5914 Contributor

No, I wasn't on meds - I should have said I had symptoms like hypo, but the numbers were always normal until lately - now they are going up, and I will likely be on meds soon. Hopefully that will correct itself though. My doc also thinks that a lot of my autoimmune symptoms are linked to adrenal problems (which then later cause thyroid trouble). We shall see when she calls back next week with the results. I suppose it could be some sort of withdrawal - the headaches usually wake me up at night though - I sense they are blood pressure related (I have low bp).

Eliza13 Contributor

I had pain in my knee and edema, which went away after 3 weeks on the diet. I also had what I believe was DH on my elbows, which went away spontaneously prior to going on the diet.

Skar.

jenvan Collaborator

thanks for the responses all...trying to play 'detective' ;)

Archived