9 replies to this topic

#1 lpellegr

lpellegr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Any recipes using banana flour, or tips for substituting?  From what I've seen it can substitute for up to a quarter of the flour in a recipe, but I was wondering if there are recipes that feature banana flour for texture or flavor.  Yeah, I could throw it into a banana bread recipe, but could you even tell?  Somebody proudly bought me a bag, and I want to try to use it.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

We had a few articles posted about making pasta with it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks - how do I find them?  I made banana-nut muffins, which seem perfectly usual with 1/3 banana flour, but with all that sugar and cinnamon, who would notice any difference.  Good to see the FIRST logo and quotes - my son was on 2016, the Mighty Monkey Wrenches for 3 years, and even though he has graduated high school, we are still looking forward to this year's local competitions.  The nationals ought to be on mainstream TV.

Lee

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks - how do I find them?  I made banana-nut muffins, which seem perfectly usual with 1/3 banana flour, but with all that sugar and cinnamon, who would notice any difference.  Good to see the FIRST logo and quotes - my son was on 2016, the Mighty Monkey Wrenches for 3 years, and even though he has graduated high school, we are still looking forward to this year's local competitions.  The nationals ought to be on mainstream TV.

You could try the google function on here. Might try googling on the whole Internet too. I'm not sure if we had any recipes or just articles about banana flour pasta.

We are team 2410 Metal Mustangs ( silver cowboy hats). My older son is the lead mentor for a high school team in the town where he goes to college so he managed to extend his time in FIRST beyond high school. Did his team go to World Championships? We might have seen them there. We went twice to Atlanta and last year to St Louis. Very off topic! :)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Yup, the Mighty Monkey Wrenches go to nationals pretty much every year.  I think they and their alliance came in second last year.  They are partnered with a school for the deaf so they also do outreach and education about that.

I tried searching banana flour, but even when I use "banana flour" in quotes I still mostly get recipes with flour and with bananas together.  Whatever - I'll use it up somehow.  The kids tell me the banana nut muffins are great.  Good luck to the Metal Mustangs!  I love the team names.  It's a great nerd sport.

Lee

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yup, the Mighty Monkey Wrenches go to nationals pretty much every year.  I think they and their alliance came in second last year.  They are partnered with a school for the deaf so they also do outreach and education about that.

I tried searching banana flour, but even when I use "banana flour" in quotes I still mostly get recipes with flour and with bananas together.  Whatever - I'll use it up somehow.  The kids tell me the banana nut muffins are great.  Good luck to the Metal Mustangs!  I love the team names.  It's a great nerd sport.

I looked them up. I remember them. They don't clap, they do the deaf equivalent!

santa-dance.gif

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

This site has some banana flour recipes which might help out:  http://www.bananaflour.com.au/

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

From what I know, most times what some call banana flour is in fact plantain flour. That's what it's usually called. So you might try looking up recipes for that instead. I've used plantain flour, but it didn't have a very strong banana flavor. Although I didn't use a lot of it since it retains so much moisture, breads tend to turn out soggy by the time the banana flavor comes through. But if what you have is real banana flour, it might provide a stronger flavor than plantain flour.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#9 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

From the smell of the flour and the label (harina de platanos, or something like that), I expect it probably is from plantain.  In strongly flavored muffins (cinnamon, banana, sugar) it was undetectable, so I'll probably just substitute it in here and there in other recipes unless I find something meant just for banana flour.

Lee

#10 cayrien

cayrien

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

So… dredging up this slightly old post because… well… I'm curious if people actually ended up trying it!

Recently while I was perusing Kickstarter I stumbled upon a green banana flour called Wedo ( http://www.wedoglutenfree.com ). Supposedly you can substitute it directly for other gluten-free flours, however, you actually need to use less (apparently 1/2 to 3/4 cup for every 1 cup of other gluten-free flours). It will be interesting to see if in the future banana flour will become more readily available to consumers in the U.S..

Anyway! To reiterate... has anyone tried banana flour for baking/etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: