Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do Teeth Improve After Eliminating Gluten?

dental teeth eroding break

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 wartburg03

wartburg03

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I know gluten is a problem for me, but I tested negative for celiac with 2 blood tests. I'm awaiting the results of an intestinal biopsy. One symptom I have that I attribute to the effects of gluten is bad teeth (eroding enamel and teeth that break easily- 2 in the past 11 months). Did anyone experience an improvement in dental health after going gluten free, or has the damage already een done?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Mine improved....gums and teeth...my teeth were never yellow, but did always have not quite bright white coloring...just noticed recently that my teeth are whiter than they were before -- had one tooth chip repaired just before removing gluten four years ago and it no longer matches my brighter whiter teeth.

The gum improvement is what I really appreciate -- had horrid gums for years that had no explanation -- well until I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Yes. Used to have tons of cavities with excellent oral hygene. Gums were always good. After gluten free, rarely a cavity.

#4 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I've have lots of cavities all my life, now I know why. I just noticed my gums are much healthier since going gluten-free, thanks for bringing this up!!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#5 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is such a comfort to read! I had a pretty extreme gum graph when I was 18, about four years after symptoms began showing up (though I didn't get diagnosed until last month) and gum issues over all and knowing that those could be related is great! 

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

#6 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yes! My gums don't bleed when I floss now, and they used to bleed every single time. Also, whiter teeth

#7 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

Hi

I have loads of fillings (from past) in spite of lots of care of my teeth and tooth pain (like sensitive teeth hot/cold) but from any food. Dentist could find nothing wrong but has gone completely gluten free  :rolleyes: .

I also have horizontal ridges across my front teeth from dodgy enamel. (Dentist looked at me like I had two heads when I suggested it could be from celiac :blink: )! Beginning to wonder if dentists are on a par with doctors :ph34r: .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dental, teeth, eroding, break

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: