Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Do Teeth Improve After Eliminating Gluten?

7 posts in this topic

I know gluten is a problem for me, but I tested negative for celiac with 2 blood tests. I'm awaiting the results of an intestinal biopsy. One symptom I have that I attribute to the effects of gluten is bad teeth (eroding enamel and teeth that break easily- 2 in the past 11 months). Did anyone experience an improvement in dental health after going gluten free, or has the damage already een done?

Ads by Google:

Mine improved....gums and teeth...my teeth were never yellow, but did always have not quite bright white coloring...just noticed recently that my teeth are whiter than they were before -- had one tooth chip repaired just before removing gluten four years ago and it no longer matches my brighter whiter teeth.

The gum improvement is what I really appreciate -- had horrid gums for years that had no explanation -- well until I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.

Yes. Used to have tons of cavities with excellent oral hygene. Gums were always good. After gluten free, rarely a cavity.

I've have lots of cavities all my life, now I know why. I just noticed my gums are much healthier since going gluten-free, thanks for bringing this up!!

This is such a comfort to read! I had a pretty extreme gum graph when I was 18, about four years after symptoms began showing up (though I didn't get diagnosed until last month) and gum issues over all and knowing that those could be related is great! 

Yes! My gums don't bleed when I floss now, and they used to bleed every single time. Also, whiter teeth

Hi

I have loads of fillings (from past) in spite of lots of care of my teeth and tooth pain (like sensitive teeth hot/cold) but from any food. Dentist could find nothing wrong but has gone completely gluten free  :rolleyes: .

I also have horizontal ridges across my front teeth from dodgy enamel. (Dentist looked at me like I had two heads when I suggested it could be from celiac :blink: )! Beginning to wonder if dentists are on a par with doctors :ph34r: .